Past Patrick McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a massive frame and huge shoulders, can't wait until he fills out the chicken legs so he start getting the better of physical contests to go with his superior decision making and smarts for a big man.

New Blues sell Carlton’s future
The following is John Barker’s critique of the seven new Blues

Patrick McCarthy SA - 20 years, one game, one goal

Patty McCarthy took some marks, shows he has a bit of athleticism and he excited the fans in his one senior appearance. He’s one of those players who sell a bit of hope. Gavin Brown wants him down back, I want him up front, and he may be that utility-type who can pinch-hit as both a half back or half-forward.
New Blues sell Carlton’s future

would rather Brown developing him than Barker.
Definitely... if he is going to be working with Watson in defence, I want Brown working on him.

And I want Barker out of the club... he is slowly turning our forward line into a mess...

#24 – Patrick McCarthy

A Little bit about Patrick
Patrick was selected in the 2010 National Draft with pick 34. He is an athletic tall defender who can also play as a lead up forward. He has a good football brain and can read the play well. Patrick played 11 games in the VFL in 2011. Patrick maintained consistency throughout the year and showed some really promising signs for the future.
He is currently listed as being 196cms and 84kgs.

Season 2012 for Patrick
Patrick played 16 games in the VFL this year, having an up and down season. His opening game of the year against Coburg was fairly strong. He finished the game with 6 marks and was named in the bests. The following week he wasn’t as strong, struggling a bit with his disposal of the ball, making a few mistakes. His next few weeks were fairly quiet before finding some nice form against Sandringham in May and he was named in the bests. Over the next few months Patrick showed some signs of improvement, getting a bit more of the ball and winning more one on one contests, but struggled to maintain consistency.
Patrick had one of his best games for the year mid season against Coburg. He played forward for most of the game, marking really well. He led strongly and finished with three goals.
His last month of football was much better and showed strong improvement. With all the injuries to the majority of the Carlton talls, Patrick got his chance in the final round of the home and away season against St Kilda. He started the game well and took some nice marks, impressing fans with his good decision making. He faded as the game went on, which is expected, but there were good signs of the talent he has. He finished the game with 10 disposals and 5 marks.

Where to from here?Patrick has continued to bulk up, looking stronger than he did when he first arrived at the club. He is quite athletic and has improved his marking ability. As he is still young and lacking muscle he was often out-muscledby the more experienced stronger forwards.
He has had a taste of senior footy, which will assist him in knowing what is expected of him during games and what he needs to work on. A strong pre-season in the gym will assist Patrick in being able to compete more with his opponents and not get pushed off the ball so easily.
2012 was an up and down year for Patrick, but he continued to show positive signs of what is to come in the future with continued hard work and dedication.
Good luck for 2013!

Well Blue Girl 4 Life was thorough so all I have to add is this from January:

"McCarthy: Just slightly behind Watson's development but delivers the ball nicely and moves very similar to Waite without that "jump on your opponent's head" ability that Waite has. Very happy to run with the midfielders though and didn't look out of place at all in the end to end work."

Patty saw some game time in the first NAB Cup round and did pretty good on Sam Reid who took only one good mark on him, although the ball was pretty much on the other side of the ground from the start so not much to add.

He's been pretty solid in the VFL practise matches and I expect him to play a couple of games in 2013. Needs his body to fill out still and some confidence and I think it will all come together for the kid who was touted as a top 10 pick.

Interesting to see Pat listed at 196 cm & 93kgs now, as he came to us at 194cm & 79kg. (Has he really grown 2cm?)
I don't quite see the 14 kgs difference, as his thighs still have a caved in sort of look about them.

Anyway, McCarthy is building nicely and we may just see him given regular games further into this year, given a little more development over the coming weeks.

Interesting to see Pat listed at 196 cm & 93kgs now, as he came to us at 194cm & 79kg. (Has he really grown 2cm?)
I don't quite see the 14 kgs difference, as his thighs still have a caved in sort of look about them.

Anyway, McCarthy is building nicely and we may just see him given regular games further into this year, given a little more development over the coming weeks.

I'm interested to see that Pat has been playing down in the backline thus far in 2013.

Last season he started the year down back but was switched into the forward line as the season progressed, I believe largely on the back of some indifferent form.

That move seemed to pay dividends for Patty as it is the resultant form which saw him debut in round 23 against St Kilda. Pat didn't get a heap of the ball that day but I was very impressed, as when he did get it he made the right decisions and used it quite nicely.

No doubt Pat has the ability to play at either end of the ground which is fantastic and will hold him in good stead heading forward. There aren't too many big men that have that in their repertoire so if Pat can develop his game at both ends I feel it will be a real bonus not only for him but the team as a whole.

Harks, you've obviously seen more of him as you are able to get to training as well as NB games. Has he spent any time this year forward of centre? Where do you believe his best position to be?

Harks, you've obviously seen more of him as you are able to get to training as well as NB games. Has he spent any time this year forward of centre? Where do you believe his best position to be?

Not that I recall and rarely saw him in any serious goal-kicking practice either.

I think he'll stay back with the view of getting Henderson up forward, although if Patrick can't get any serious strength about him, then he may just end up playing the third tall which wouldn't be a terrible result either.
McCarthy's height, run and agility makes him an appealing prospect and whereas I had zero confidence in any development through VFL level last year, that has now changed so we should start seeing what we have in store for Pat soon enough.

In short, I don't think we're really sure what we want to do with McCarthy for now, other than to make him a good player.

I remember when Watson Paddy and Mitchell were drafted. How excited were we all? I thought definitely at least one of them would be guns. It's a shame they have played such little AFL football and they're 21.

I remember when Watson Paddy and Mitchell were drafted. How excited were we all? I thought definitely at least one of them would be guns. It's a shame they have played such little AFL football and they're 21.

Nothing wrong with them not having cemented themselves at AFL level just yet. Plenty of time for one or all to become 'guns' as you put it.

As you note, they are all 21. Not 31, 21. That's still extremely young, particularly for taller players who usually take longer to grow into their bodies and mature than midfielders who can often step straight up to the plate.

All three of them are still very exciting prospects.

Perhaps you're right. You look at Jake Carlisle who is also 21 and has improved out of sight - not overly impressed with their development so far would like to see all three of them get more AFL exposure this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with them not having cemented themselves at AFL level just yet. Plenty of time for one or all to become 'guns' as you put it.

As you note, they are all 21. Not 31, 21. That's still extremely young, particularly for taller players who usually take longer to grow into their bodies and mature than midfielders who can often step straight up to the plate.

All three of them are still very exciting prospects.

Watson isn't even that yet but because he looks 25 years of age we expect him to play as such.

Plenty of time for all the boys especially so that now we're putting proper development into them.

Perhaps you're right. You look at Jake Carlisle who is also 21 and has improved out of sight - not overly impressed with their development so far would like to see all three of them get more AFL exposure this year.
Jake has more AFL games under his belt now but was belted early only EFC had to play him IMO so he either sank or swam.

The rest of this season should be spent getting games into players like Pat.
Lets see what they can do with an extended run in the seniors.

Confirmation yesterday that Pat has been placed on the LTI list and will miss at least two months of football.

That would carry him through to the latter rounds of the season and just about ends his year. Hugely disappointing and unfortunate news for Patrick and the club.

Unfortunately there has been a fair bit of negativity surrounding Pat's performances thus far this season. Quite clearly this has not been a good year for him however it is important we don't get too far ahead of ourselves. It must be acknowledged that he is still so young, and clearly has a fair way to go in his development - both as a footballer and indeed into his own body. The easy route is to write him off but that would be far too premature. Will be given plenty of time to grow and develop and rightly so. I'm not bothered in the slightest that he's now 3 years in and barely had an impact.

Most important thing now for Pat is that he rests up, is diligent in his recovery and does absolutely everything necessary to assist a full recovery. More than happy for him to not be sighted again before preseason allowing him to launch into it fully fit and raring to go.

Carlton Injury Update

Meanwhile, there's devastating news for Patrick McCarthy. He'll be out for at least two months after a recurrent stress injury flared in his foot.

Carlton Injury Update

Plenty of ability in Pat, no doubt. Guess the question is his mental side of the equation and how much he could develop physically.

Would love him to make it, but the reports I read in the Northern Blues thread never filled me with much hope.

EDIT: Wait, he was delisted wasn't he. Heh oops.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back