Paul Roos - not the messiah

Remove this Banner Ad

I welcome serious heat to be put on Paul Roos this week before the Geelong game. Has been disappointing this year tbh. Highest paid coach in the AFL and it's debatable whether we have improved as a team under him. You can only blame the past for so long before you get fingers pointed your way. Dogs and GWS have both gone past us, and Saints proved today they simply have more heart. Gold Coast will be ok once there injuries free up, which leaves Brisbane and Carlton as the only teams arguably worse than us right now, and you could make a case for both being at least on a par with us. Roos simply hasn't delivered. I'd be happy for Goodwin to take the reins next year.

I agree. It was sort of hard for Roos to take Melbourne backwards with all the young talent on the list. He was in a win/win situation and pocketing upwards of a mil a year too.

I agree. It was sort of hard for Roos to take Melbourne backwards with all the young talent on the list. He was in a win/win situation and pocketing upwards of a mil a year too.

Are you serious saying it was hard for Roos to take the list backwards because of all the young talent on melb list, When Roos took over Melb our list was in awful shape in fact having 22 changes over 2 years and most likely after this season having 30 changes in 3 years tells you the list wasn't in great shape. We are in a lot better shape than we was a few years ago, But still have so much work to do.

Are you serious saying it was hard for Roos to take the list backwards because of all the young talent on melb list, When Roos took over Melb our list was in awful shape in fact having 22 changes over 2 years and most likely after this season having 30 changes in 3 years tells you the list wasn't in great shape. We are in a lot better shape than we was a few years ago, But still have so much work to do.
i think the point was, you couldnt take Melbourne any further backwards than the position it was at when he took over. Thus the only outcome under any conceivable situation/scenario regardless of the coach was improvement.

i think the point was, you couldnt take Melbourne any further backwards than the position it was at when he took over. Thus the only outcome under any conceivable situation/scenario regardless of the coach was improvement.

Yeah ok that's fair enough but i certainly wouldn't say hard to take them backwards with all our young talent on the list.

I know they aren't playing awesome footy. But at the very least Melbourne are developing talent now. For years they have been a drain for top draft picks, and now a bunch of their youngsters really look like they are going places.

Tough to know if that is Roos or his development team (or even Macca). But whoever it is, someone is doing a good job over there, in my view.

Good post.

I got pillard for essentially posting the same thing a month a go. Roos, is a good coach but the situation he is in, is something he has never experienced before. At sydney he has gun players who would win games, dig deep, and are smart footballers who can react to the opposition in real time. A lot of that, allows the coach the Luxury to focus on one or two things but with the trust of the playing group, he can rest easy knowing the players will take up the slack.

At Melbourne, he does not have that luxury, its the reason some of his coaching mistakes are plain for all to see. Now a mix of that is the playing group but also the lack of pro activeness from the coach.

In saying the above. Roos is a good coach but he is no Messiah. The Dee's are on 3 wins at the half way mark. On the win/loss column he is not performing any better the Neeld. Now admittedly off field there has been a huge improvement. Melbourne has now drafted some real gems. How is to say though, If neeled had the same level of off field support as Roo's has now, that the results would not be the same or better ?

Roos last year is next year ? Will be intersting if the Dee's finish bottom 4 again next year.

Good post.

I got pillard for essentially posting the same thing a month a go. Roos, is a good coach but the situation he is in, is something he has never experienced before. At sydney he has gun players who would win games, dig deep, and are smart footballers who can react to the opposition in real time. A lot of that, allows the coach the Luxury to focus on one or two things but with the trust of the playing group, he can rest easy knowing the players will take up the slack.

At Melbourne, he does not have that luxury, its the reason some of his coaching mistakes are plain for all to see. Now a mix of that is the playing group but also the lack of pro activeness from the coach.

In saying the above. Roos is a good coach but he is no Messiah. The Dee's are on 3 wins at the half way mark. On the win/loss column he is not performing any better the Neeld. Now admittedly off field there has been a huge improvement. Melbourne has now drafted some real gems. How is to say though, If neeled had the same level of off field support as Roo's has now, that the results would not be the same or better ?

Roos last year is next year ? Will be intersting if the Dee's finish bottom 4 again next year.

At Sydney he had gun players they were able to retain due to extra funds COLA

Good post.

Your an Idiot, Neelds wins came against the expansion clubs when they were just 18 and 19 year olds...
The only non expansion side Neeld beat was essendon and then Neil Craig took over and we beat the bulldogs
We are a far better side than we were whos results wont be seen until next year

Your an Idiot, Neelds wins came against the expansion clubs when they were just 18 and 19 year olds...
The only non expansion side Neeld beat was essendon and then Neil Craig took over and we beat the bulldogs
We are a far better side than we were whos results wont be seen until next year

LOL, no sir you are a idiot.

I did not say Neeld was better then Roos, just posed the question of Neeld had the off field support that Roos enjoys, would he have improved your club ?

I figured the question was not that hard to understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL, no sir you are a idiot.

I did not say Neeld was better then Roos, just posed the question of Neeld had the off field support that Roos enjoys, would he have improved your club ?

I figured the question was not that hard to understand.

We lost in the last 20 seconds of the game, had we won we would be 4-6
We were infront against collingwood deep into the 3rd who are in the top 4, and we were well clear of Port and Gws before running out of legs and confidence

We didnt even have moments under Mark Neeld, we were out of pretty much every game by quarter time
We went from being one of the softest sides ever who couldnt win the ball, to a side who now matches the inside work of almost every side.. Paul Roos isnt gonna sacrifice the long term vision to try and find 1 or 2 extra wins this year
This is a long term plan that will hopefully have us set up to hand over to someone as a ready made club

Now we know where all the Ricmond angst comes from. :)

In case nobody has seen it or forgotten it.

A lot of games since where we've served up worse, just without the 12 players missing, hardly our worse loss even this year (North).

A more comparable game to Melbourne's would be our 2013 loss against Fremantle in Perth, players didn't flood back, Ballantyne kicks the goal and takes the lead. We lost a lot of close games in 2013. Then look at our second half of 2014, time and again we held onto leads to win games. Look at our last 4 games this year, time and again we've held onto games.

It's hard to lose but Melbourne fans shouldn't be too disheartened by the result, it's a learning curve that they're finally experiencing instead of being totally dominated in games. It's like how you bring kids that have been playing VFL in to AFL so they get to experience the change of pace and understand how much more they need to improve. Well Melbourne, you're starting to learn what you need to improve, good job and keep going.

Since Malthouse went, seems like footy fans and the media alike are baying for fresh blood. Roosy is doing a great job, gradual improvement and improving the culture of the place.

Messiah , just like another current coach, mate he was happy to slag other clubs, so the karma bus has returned,

Roos was, correct. All those crappy clubs with their priority picks, now he's at Melb they go cap in hand asking for them at every opportunity.

I think their heading in the right direction, albeit slowly.

Lot of Richmond fans in the thread. Slagging the guy who worked you out so well he got his bunch of no-hopers to belt your side by 32 points in round 4.

If he's not the messiah, it make you wonder what you must all think of Hardwick.

Lot of Richmond fans in the thread. Slagging the guy who worked you out so well he got his bunch of no-hopers to belt your side by 32 points in round 4.

If he's not the messiah, it make you wonder what you must all think of Hardwick.

We beat St Kilda but their 3 wins ahead of us.

Does this mean Hird >>> Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back