Pedro Mendes

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like something that happens in the AFL every week.

Wouldnt call it a challenge, it was more of a bump. He will get banned for around 2 months you would think, and will get booed about it for about 2 years

Embers said:
Looks like something that happens in the AFL every week.

Rubbish it does!!!

Blokes runs at full pelt past the footy, raises an elbow to a bloke who is outside the field of play and knocks him out cold and into convulsions? Yep, happens all the time.....Twit.

Thuggish, violent, gutless and purposeful filth.

NorthBhoy said:
Rubbish it does!!!

Blokes runs at full pelt past the footy, raises an elbow to a bloke who is outside the field of play and knocks him out cold and into convulsions? Yep, happens all the time.....Twit.

Thuggish, violent, gutless and purposeful filth.

Reckless In play High contact - 2 weeks

Cooldude said:
You're kidding, aren't ya?

It was a hit, that would've gotten him 5 weeks in the AFL

It got Ricciuto 1 last year. EXACT same thing. I dont have a problem with it as long as he gets adequately punished

Cooldude said:
Thatcher's one could've put Mendes in the factory for a lot longer than 2-3 days

Think he had seizures after he got hit?

Could of but didnt. Many people have seizures like that when there knocked out.

Oh stop that bull****, so you have to wait for someone to actually be seriously hurt? That could've but didn't crap doesn't apply to these sorta thing

In Footy, elbows fly occasionally and they connect, happens every week. In Football, you don't see a bloke running in at 100 miles per hour, never caring about the ball and just belt the bloke clean out, that doesn't happen often.

That's the **** Hawthorn used to do in the 80s.

moomba said:
MPEGS are next to useless on my PC, but I did see it live (albeit not a great view) so I think I'm more than qualified to comment. I have now seen it on the TV now, and it was a bad challenge. He certainly could have had no complaints with a straight red on the night.

I have now seen it, and its worse than i could have imagined. Sickening.

I also saw where he did a similar thing a few years ago (against Shanghai) with an elbow to the neck/head region...

I stand by what i said in my first post and also add Arry's words, for which i totally agree with.... "Have you got to kill someone to get a red card?"

.. Would have been nice to have almost a half with an extra player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't Roo's a split second thing as he was running past? Thatcher had an eternity to line him up and there was no one else near Mendes.

Pure thuggery.

Saw it for the first time on the local news services tonight and it was shocking. I reckon that'd get you 5 or 6 in the old VFL/AFL system, maybe even in this one. Can't believe he wasn't red carded on the spot - neither could the FA I guess, sounds like they dropped the ref.

They showed another one he scored a couple of weeks suspension for in the past and that was pretty ugly too.

I think people are becoming a mite hysterical over this one. it was an ugly challenge but I've seen plenty worse

it is, however, galling in the least to see both this and brown's stomp on giggs's leg incurring only yellow cards, while at the same time rooney is out three weeks for a far minor infraction

Cooldude said:
Oh stop that bull****, so you have to wait for someone to actually be seriously hurt? That could've but didn't crap doesn't apply to these sorta thing

In Footy, elbows fly occasionally and they connect, happens every week. In Football, you don't see a bloke running in at 100 miles per hour, never caring about the ball and just belt the bloke clean out, that doesn't happen often.

That's the **** Hawthorn used to do in the 80s.
You mean Essendon...

Cooldude said:
you don't see a bloke running in at 100 miles per hour

Thatcher couldn't run 100 miles in a month, let alone an hour.

I have to agree with belfast bomber, I think people are getting a touch hysterical about this. It was a bad challenge and deserves punishment, but thats about it. FWIW I understand the injury wasn't caused by the elbow, but to the charge that sent him into the fence, for that I think anything more than a yellow card owuld have been unwarranted.

I also agree with belfast bomber about the Thatcher, Brown, Rooney comparisons. Hopefully this will be the spur for the FA to rethink their rules on such matters. It would be long overdue.

ridiculous challenge. Didnt go for the ball at all and basically just elbowed the guy in the head. Should be an instant red and 3 match ban.

Borgsta said:
ridiculous challenge. Didnt go for the ball at all and basically just elbowed the guy in the head. Should be an instant red and 3 match ban.

I don't think anyone in the world could disagree with that, I understand that Dermott Gallagher has been dropped to the Coke League for failing to spot it at the time (suggest to me that Thatcher will face no further punishment from the FA as well).

One thing I will say in his defence, is that he does have a very strong tendancy to use his arms to block a player from running past him. He does it because he doesn't have the legs to run with premier league players any more and it has annoyed me in the past because it does leave himself open to unnecessary cards.

I know many will disagree with me, but I don't believe Thatcher went out with the intention of elbowing Mendes in the head. It's not the way he plays the game despite the incidents the press are bringing up. He does play it hard, and he does live on the borderline of the rules. He is more than happy to sit someone on his @rse when he gets a good opportunity and I quite like that about him. He got it badly wrong in this instance, but he is the type that plays it hard, is prepared to receive it back just as hard (and has done so on many occasions in the past) but he does have a line that he does not cross.

FWIW, there are rumours that the club have fined him the maximum fine (2 weeks salary), and have suspended him from the first team, it will be interesting to see if and when he returns.

Cooldude said:
I know you're never too subtle, but can't believe such a common expression/figure of speech could warrant a pedantic response :thumbsu:

Having a laugh.
Not taking my club or myself too seriously.
Taking the p1ss out of one of my clubs players in a fairly good natured way.

Or a pedantic response if you think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back