Religion Pell Guilty!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there a monetary limit initially? $50k or $75K then increased later?

Nah, their initial interest was in protecting assets and reputation not helping the individuals.

That was a lump sum limit. The counselling aspect wasn't included in that.

Fair enough to conclude the MR was inadequate, but at least understand all of the components before concluding that. I thought you watched all of the Royal Commission? If you had, you would know all of this.

Fair enough to conclude the MR was inadequate, but at least understand all of the components before concluding that. I thought you watched all of the Royal Commission? If you had, you would know all of this.
Actually, I stopped watching after a while, too distressing.

With respect, you may be ignoring the fact that the MR did not, in and of itself, reduce the potential "impact of watershed cases" because parties were and are still able to launch court actions, outside of the compensation scheme.
Of course it did. The whole point of offering a no-liability settlement is to incentivise a plaintiff not to take the risk of legal action.

If a party chose to take the easier and less onerous MR route rather than a court action, that may suggest plenty about the prospects of success in court?
No, it says something about both parties' appetite for risk - which is influenced by a multitude of factors.

Well it is. Because you are comparing the lump sums available with each type of scheme without including the counselling component.
No I'm not.

Of course it did. The whole point of offering a no-liability settlement is to incentivise a plaintiff not to take the risk of legal action.

No, it says something about both parties' appetite for risk - which is influenced by a multitude of factors.
Fair enough - you say the MR reduced potential "watershed legal actions". Presume you are aware that over the time that the MR has been in place, there have been actions taken by survivors outside of the MR that have resulted in settlements? Wouldn't those settled matters be more likely to be where the potential "watershed" actions lay?

Fair enough - you say the MR reduced potential "watershed legal actions". Presume you are aware that over the time that the MR has been in place, there have been actions taken by survivors outside of the MR that have resulted in settlements? Wouldn't those settled matters be more likely to be where the potential "watershed" actions lay?
This is speculation built upon speculation.

Up until recently the Church was able to hide behind its vague corporate structure and use the Ellis Defence (which old Mate George just happened to run with) to effectively railroad victims into MR & Towards Healing. The rules have now changed and Armageddon awaits the Church and I’m at the head of the queue...

Up until recently the Church was able to hide behind its vague corporate structure and use the Ellis Defence (which old Mate George just happened to run with) to effectively railroad victims into MR & Towards Healing. The rules have now changed and Armageddon awaits the Church and I’m at the head of the queue...
I sincerely wish you any and every success in your endeavours.

However, this linking of the Ellis defence (great that it is being dismantled) to the MR and Towards Healing is flawed. The MR pre-dated the 2007 Ellis decision by about 11 years. Given Pell was made Cardinal in 2003, not sure how much of the Ellis defence he "ran with" - but happy to be corrected.

However, this linking of the Ellis defence (great that it is being dismantled) to the MR and Towards Healing is flawed. The MR pre-dated the 2007 Ellis decision by about 11 years. Given Pell was made Cardinal in 2003, not sure how much of the Ellis defence he "ran with" - but happy to be corrected.
The church (and other organisations, religious and otherwise) have been running the Ellis Defence in this and other contexts for many years before the actual Ellis decision.

It's a common misconception but the Ellis case was actually NSW.

The church (and other organisations, religious and otherwise) have been running the Ellis Defence in this and other contexts for many years before the actual Ellis decision.
Fair enough - call it the "failed vicarious liability defence" for want of a better term then. But this brings me to the point which I have been failing to convey - historically, it has been things this legal hurdle, along with a lack of preparedness to take action - which has stymied so many actions. The MR was established to provide an alternate avenue where those hurdles were removed. But an alternate view would be that they worked together to provide the Church with a painless solution.

And I dont think I will change any minds, so will leave it there.

Wasn't there a monetary limit initially? $50k or $75K then increased later?

Actually, I stopped watching after a while, too distressing.

As ever, google is our friend. https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/case-studies/case-study-16-melbourne-response

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pell ran the Ellis Defence - he was in charge - your ignorance is astounding
It might be right up there with your lack of manners. Think you will find most legal defences will have been run by lawyers at the behest of CCI, as opposed to the Archbishop, but I did note above I was happy to be corrected on this point. Once again, good luck with your legal action. Have you seen lawyers yet?

What part of 'found it too distressing' didn't you understand?
You don't have to read the case studies. The section on the setup of MR and its operation will tell you how it worked with compensation and counselling which is what you were querying.. It's just a transcript.

It might be right up there with your lack of manners. Think you will find most legal defences will have been run by lawyers at the behest of CCI, as opposed to the Archbishop, but I did note above I was happy to be corrected on this point. Once again, good luck with your legal action. Have you seen lawyers yet?
Manners - you are taking the piss - believe me I know the details - do some research and educate yourself on the subject before coming in here and writing crap - and yeah I’ve seen a lawyer...it goes to trial in August

I have to say the apparent “outrage” of counsel at the RC at the Ellis Defence and the refusal of the CC to “admit” offences in interlocutors documents made me want to vomit. Made for great headlines but the Royal Commissioners and Counsel Assisting should hang their heads at their hypocrisy.

I have to say the apparent “outrage” of counsel at the RC at the Ellis Defence and the refusal of the CC to “admit” offences in interlocutors documents made me want to vomit. Made for great headlines but the Royal Commissioners and Counsel Assisting should hang their heads at their hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy is the hallmark of the Catholic Church hierarchy in Australia and most probably throughout the world. They excel at it.

Hypocrisy is the hallmark of the Catholic Church hierarchy in Australia and most probably throughout the world. They excel at it.

I certainly agree with that in many respects, not just this particular subject. But seriously Lawyers being outraged at Defendants using the identity of the Defendant as a defence? Seriously. It’s Lecture 1 in Civil Litigation. “Check they’ve sued the right entity and check that it’s an entity capable of being sued.”

OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back