News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Its official Peter Ladhams will be the 5th 2 metre Peter in V/AFL history as per Swamp's tweet i posted when I bumped this thread in April.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rookie-pick-9-2016-peter-ladhams.1153211/page-5#post-60486933

Had a great 6 weeks of footy and deserves his spot with Lycett's injury. Given Hawks are only playing 1 ruck i hope he gets a decent go. This article was linked on page 2 of this thread, but no content pasted, is from 4/11/16, so given its less than 3 years old thought its worth putting in here given he is debuting on Saturday.

How Norwood ruckman Peter Ladhams went from top draft prospect to lost soul and back again
SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips says it “might have been the slap in the face that he needed’’ As much as it hurt, Norwood giant Peter Ladhams is certain it was. At the start of the season the 203cm ruckman-forward, who shone as an under-age player at last year’s AFL under-18 championships, was regarded as one of SA’s top 2016 draft prospects. He was a member of the prestigious AFL Academy and appeared to be on the fast track to success.

But despite a second consecutive strong national under-18s carnival, Ladhams’ football world came crashing down around him in July when he checked the AFL draft combine invites list on facebook and was stunned that his name wasn’t there.

“It was devastating,’’ said the 18-year-old, who had chopped off his controversial dreadlocks two months earlier to try to improve his image and break his laconic tag. “I couldn’t believe it and was pretty upset because all I’ve wanted to do since I started playing footy at age five was to be a professional footballer and my goal at the start of the year was to make the combine.

“I thought I’d blown everything and Mum had to calm me down and tell me to stick with it, that I could give myself a chance (of being drafted) again if I just kept working hard.’’

Hard work, it seems, had been an issue. When Ladhams rang his State under-18 coach Phillips to ask his thoughts on why he had shockingly missed an invite to the draft combine — 80 players earned an invitation after being nominated by at least five AFL clubs — Phillips thought it was best that he hear some home truths straight from a recruiter’s mouth. “He put me on to a Sydney recruiter (Kinnear Beatson) and he didn’t pull any punches,’’ Ladhams said. “He told me that my start to the season was pretty average and that I needed to be more competitive, had to cover more ground and that I was only playing to my potential in patches in games. “It wasn’t something that I really wanted to hear but it was good feedback and obviously being a recruiter he knew what he was talking about so I had to take it on board.’’ To his credit, Ladhams reacted positively.

Ladhams hit the gym and asked Norwood teammate Stefan Giro, an elite runner who won this year’s Macca’s Cup under-18 MVP, if he could train alongside him. He quickly shed some weight, toned up and improved his beep test from a score of 11.8 at the start of the season to an excellent 13.6 at the State combine — the second-best result recorded behind West Adelaide’s Conor Noonan. Ladhams’ 20m sprint improved from 3.12 seconds to 3.05 and he won the running vertical jump challenge with a leap of 90cm, wooing AFL recruiting scouts with his new-found power and athleticism.

Ladhams, who wants to be a goalkicking ruckman-forward in the mould of Sydney’s Kurt Tippett and GWS’s Rory Lobb, in May took the first step towards repairing his seemingly tarnished image by chopping off the dreadlocks that he had grown for two years. “Why I grew them, I’m not too sure?,’’ Ladhams said. “I just thought I’d try something a bit different and kept it going for a while.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/ac459cef0b19fe09d36b41cfae72d26f
That’s a great read. Good to see he worked really hard to make it happen. Hopefully he takes his opportunity.

Yeah I get flashes of that. And then I remember it's exactly how I felt 5-6 years ago.

Can't wait to see all the premierships that we're sure to win with young guns like Wingard, Polec, Hombsch, Lobbe, Pittard, Trengove and Impey coming through the ranks.

Can't wait to see all the premierships that we're sure to win with young guns like Wingard, Polec, Hombsch, Lobbe, Pittard, Trengove and Impey coming through the ranks.
Pity that a couple of those guys had piss poor attitudes. If Polec and Wingard in particular had been about the team instead of themselves all well and good. But unfortunately they were not.

I've been on this board for 11 and a half years, but now for the first time I finally have a source!

Peter already has a contract offer on increased coin from the club in front of him. Port want him signed up ASAP. Might be part of why he was somewhat unexpectedly promoted to the seniors last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been on this board for 11 and a half years, but now for the first time I finally have a source!

Peter already has a contract offer on increased coin from the club in front of him. Port want him signed up ASAP. Might be part of why he was somewhat unexpectedly promoted to the seniors last week.

I'm happy you have a source and happier that it is good news :thumbsu:

After Polec left I've got no more leaks :(

Great news! Always fantastic seeing someone who has triumphed through adversity start to harness some of their natural talent and be rewarded for it.

Oh and good news about Ladhams too

Can you please ask your source whether that rumour about Ken wanting out at the end of the year is true?

We await your answer. :D

anyone heard that the crows are into Pete?
Hardly surprising. Jacobs is toast and it's O'Brien and ..... Grundy is wishful thinking and the thought of getting one over us too boot would have them salivating. Ladhams and Ryder need to be told Ladhams is the man to pair with Lycett next year outside injury or a marked drop in form.

Pete was done no favours by being selected in a monsoon on Saturday. But he took a really nice grab, kicked an important goal, and showed some decent movement and agility at times. Liked what I saw.
Agree. I saw enough moments to get what people here have said, but it just wasn’t the night to leave out an extra big bodied mid and expose a tall kid.