News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see him in such good form. Definitely putting pressure on Ryder.

The issue is I think the penny finally dropped that ryder is much better in the ruck than up forward on Friday night. He started to get going on fruday when he spent more time in the ruck.

So its unlikely we will have ladhams and lycett team up in ruck and keep Ryder permanently up forward.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s been great to see Ladhams dramatic improvement. Ignore the stats for a second and realise that he has been an emergency for a game this year, that in its self is huge.

It’s obviously a combination of a ruck coach and having a good preseason under his belt, perhaps also a ‘near’ delisting as well.

I will temper things somewhat, he has been rucking in the SANFL. It has very little translation to the AFL. What he does is allow him to build his fitness, work on some elements and ensure he is ready to step up if Ryder or Lycett need a rest. It certainly doesn’t guarantee success at the next level.

Same goes for Billy. It’s great that things seem to have clicked for him. And he has been by far one of the most talented forwards we have had in the SANFL in recent times. That being said, it’s almost a completely different game at AFL level. Faster, stronger, fitter, taller and smarter defenders with better structures around them. The expectation will be contest marking/competing for marks but also fitting into our press and providing defensive pressure. Huge step up.

But good to see both are saying they want a go and that they might be worth persisting with.

I reckon Hayes' return is going to **** with Ladham's and Frampton's form.

I hope not.
Surely not. Hayes can be the 2nd tall forward and can give a hand to Ladhams in the ruck so then Frampton can permanently stay forward.

Really intrigued to see how he goes. At SANFL level offers a lot around the ground, can play forward and his ruck craft is not too bad. I think he may be able to support Ryder or Lycett, ie more deft ruck work and resting forward to balance Lycett’s crash and bash, or more round the ground work to support Ryder’s brilliant tap work.

Has obviously built his frame and fitness this year and is the beneficiary of rucking basically solely. Maybe Brogan should get some credit too.

Good luck to him.

Its official Peter Ladhams will be the 5th 2 metre Peter in V/AFL history as per Swamp's tweet i posted when I bumped this thread in April.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rookie-pick-9-2016-peter-ladhams.1153211/page-5#post-60486933

Had a great 6 weeks of footy and deserves his spot with Lycett's injury. Given Hawks are only playing 1 ruck i hope he gets a decent go. This article was linked on page 2 of this thread, but no content pasted, is from 4/11/16, so given its less than 3 years old thought its worth putting in here given he is debuting on Saturday.

How Norwood ruckman Peter Ladhams went from top draft prospect to lost soul and back again
SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips says it “might have been the slap in the face that he needed’’ As much as it hurt, Norwood giant Peter Ladhams is certain it was. At the start of the season the 203cm ruckman-forward, who shone as an under-age player at last year’s AFL under-18 championships, was regarded as one of SA’s top 2016 draft prospects. He was a member of the prestigious AFL Academy and appeared to be on the fast track to success.

But despite a second consecutive strong national under-18s carnival, Ladhams’ football world came crashing down around him in July when he checked the AFL draft combine invites list on facebook and was stunned that his name wasn’t there.

“It was devastating,’’ said the 18-year-old, who had chopped off his controversial dreadlocks two months earlier to try to improve his image and break his laconic tag. “I couldn’t believe it and was pretty upset because all I’ve wanted to do since I started playing footy at age five was to be a professional footballer and my goal at the start of the year was to make the combine.

“I thought I’d blown everything and Mum had to calm me down and tell me to stick with it, that I could give myself a chance (of being drafted) again if I just kept working hard.’’

Hard work, it seems, had been an issue. When Ladhams rang his State under-18 coach Phillips to ask his thoughts on why he had shockingly missed an invite to the draft combine — 80 players earned an invitation after being nominated by at least five AFL clubs — Phillips thought it was best that he hear some home truths straight from a recruiter’s mouth. “He put me on to a Sydney recruiter (Kinnear Beatson) and he didn’t pull any punches,’’ Ladhams said. “He told me that my start to the season was pretty average and that I needed to be more competitive, had to cover more ground and that I was only playing to my potential in patches in games. “It wasn’t something that I really wanted to hear but it was good feedback and obviously being a recruiter he knew what he was talking about so I had to take it on board.’’ To his credit, Ladhams reacted positively.

Ladhams hit the gym and asked Norwood teammate Stefan Giro, an elite runner who won this year’s Macca’s Cup under-18 MVP, if he could train alongside him. He quickly shed some weight, toned up and improved his beep test from a score of 11.8 at the start of the season to an excellent 13.6 at the State combine — the second-best result recorded behind West Adelaide’s Conor Noonan. Ladhams’ 20m sprint improved from 3.12 seconds to 3.05 and he won the running vertical jump challenge with a leap of 90cm, wooing AFL recruiting scouts with his new-found power and athleticism.

Ladhams, who wants to be a goalkicking ruckman-forward in the mould of Sydney’s Kurt Tippett and GWS’s Rory Lobb, in May took the first step towards repairing his seemingly tarnished image by chopping off the dreadlocks that he had grown for two years. “Why I grew them, I’m not too sure?,’’ Ladhams said. “I just thought I’d try something a bit different and kept it going for a while.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/ac459cef0b19fe09d36b41cfae72d26f

Last edited:
Its official Peter Ladhams will be the 5th 2 metre Peter in V/AFL history as per Swamp's tweet i posted when I bumped this thread in April.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/rookie-pick-9-2016-peter-ladhams.1153211/page-5#post-60486933

Had a great 6 weeks of footy and deserves his spot with Lycett's injury. Given Hawks are only playing 1 ruck i hope he gets a decent go. This article was linked but no content is from 4/11/16 so given its less than 3 years old thought its worth put in here given he is debuting on Saturday.

How Norwood ruckman Peter Ladhams went from top draft prospect to lost soul and back again
SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips says it “might have been the slap in the face that he needed’’ As much as it hurt, Norwood giant Peter Ladhams is certain it was. At the start of the season the 203cm ruckman-forward, who shone as an under-age player at last year’s AFL under-18 championships, was regarded as one of SA’s top 2016 draft prospects. He was a member of the prestigious AFL Academy and appeared to be on the fast track to success.

But despite a second consecutive strong national under-18s carnival, Ladhams’ football world came crashing down around him in July when he checked the AFL draft combine invites list on facebook and was stunned that his name wasn’t there.

“It was devastating,’’ said the 18-year-old, who had chopped off his controversial dreadlocks two months earlier to try to improve his image and break his laconic tag. “I couldn’t believe it and was pretty upset because all I’ve wanted to do since I started playing footy at age five was to be a professional footballer and my goal at the start of the year was to make the combine.

“I thought I’d blown everything and Mum had to calm me down and tell me to stick with it, that I could give myself a chance (of being drafted) again if I just kept working hard.’’

Hard work, it seems, had been an issue. When Ladhams rang his State under-18 coach Phillips to ask his thoughts on why he had shockingly missed an invite to the draft combine — 80 players earned an invitation after being nominated by at least five AFL clubs — Phillips thought it was best that he hear some home truths straight from a recruiter’s mouth. “He put me on to a Sydney recruiter (Kinnear Beatson) and he didn’t pull any punches,’’ Ladhams said. “He told me that my start to the season was pretty average and that I needed to be more competitive, had to cover more ground and that I was only playing to my potential in patches in games. “It wasn’t something that I really wanted to hear but it was good feedback and obviously being a recruiter he knew what he was talking about so I had to take it on board.’’ To his credit, Ladhams reacted positively.

Ladhams hit the gym and asked Norwood teammate Stefan Giro, an elite runner who won this year’s Macca’s Cup under-18 MVP, if he could train alongside him. He quickly shed some weight, toned up and improved his beep test from a score of 11.8 at the start of the season to an excellent 13.6 at the State combine — the second-best result recorded behind West Adelaide’s Conor Noonan. Ladhams’ 20m sprint improved from 3.12 seconds to 3.05 and he won the running vertical jump challenge with a leap of 90cm, wooing AFL recruiting scouts with his new-found power and athleticism.

Ladhams, who wants to be a goalkicking ruckman-forward in the mould of Sydney’s Kurt Tippett and GWS’s Rory Lobb, in May took the first step towards repairing his seemingly tarnished image by chopping off the dreadlocks that he had grown for two years. “Why I grew them, I’m not too sure?,’’ Ladhams said. “I just thought I’d try something a bit different and kept it going for a while.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...n/news-story/ac459cef0b19fe09d36b41cfae72d26f
What a great story!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the article Reece Homfray wrote last week and linked in his tweet.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/e2c3aa86a388a62a30c8575d65c28dce
An unheralded rookie and a ruckmen-turned-forward are putting pressure on Port Adelaide’s big-men stocks with the club now spoiled for choice in the very position seen as its achilles heel just 12 months ago.Peter Ladhams was made to wait until 24 hours before the AFL’s list lodgement deadline last November which served as a wake-up call that his dream was almost over. The 21-year-old then got another wake-up call during pre-season when he was late to a training session after sleeping through an alarm.But lifestyle changes and opportunity to lead the ruck at the Magpies this season has led to career-best form and attracted attention from rival clubs.
At 202cm and 95kg, Ladhams has come a long way from the laid-back, dreadlocked ruckman who emerged at Norwood and was taken by the Power with Pick No.9 the 2016 rookie draft. If he maintains this form and continues his development, Ladhams is set to play himself into a spot on Port Adelaide’s primary list at the end of the season given the club must either elevate the third-year rookie or delist him and hope he doesn’t sign elsewhere as a free agent while waiting to be re-rookied.
The big challenge for Ladhams is how he adapts to life at the Magpies when Hayes does return and whether he relinquishes the number one ruck role. Ladhams has battled knee and quad soreness in recent years but has improved his professionalism this season including giving up video gaming and he is now living with Frampton who has kicked 10 goals as a key forward.
Speaking on The Lowdown the past two weeks, Port Adelaide co-captain Tom Jonas said Ladhams and Frampton were ready to play at AFL level if called on. “He’ll (Ladhams) be on the radar of any other SANFL team he fronts up against if he isn’t playing AFL by that stage,” Jonas said. “Absolutely he’s up to it, it’s a pretty comprehensive formline so if one of the big boys was to go down or suffer a consistent spell of poor form I’m sure he’d get a go and you’ve got to reward performances like that........................

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/e2c3aa86a388a62a30c8575d65c28dce

Last edited:
From the article Reece Homfray wrote last week and linked in his tweet.
An unheralded rookie and a ruckmen-turned-forward are putting pressure on Port Adelaide’s big-men stocks with the club now spoiled for choice in the very position seen as its achilles heel just 12 months ago.Peter Ladhams was made to wait until 24 hours before the AFL’s list lodgement deadline last November which served as a wake-up call that his dream was almost over. The 21-year-old then got another wake-up call during pre-season when he was late to a training session after sleeping through an alarm.But lifestyle changes and opportunity to lead the ruck at the Magpies this season has led to career-best form and attracted attention from rival clubs.
At 202cm and 95kg, Ladhams has come a long way from the laid-back, dreadlocked ruckman who emerged at Norwood and was taken by the Power with Pick No.9 the 2016 rookie draft. If he maintains this form and continues his development, Ladhams is set to play himself into a spot on Port Adelaide’s primary list at the end of the season given the club must either elevate the third-year rookie or delist him and hope he doesn’t sign elsewhere as a free agent while waiting to be re-rookied.
The big challenge for Ladhams is how he adapts to life at the Magpies when Hayes does return and whether he relinquishes the number one ruck role. Ladhams has battled knee and quad soreness in recent years but has improved his professionalism this season including giving up video gaming and he is now living with Frampton who has kicked 10 goals as a key forward.
Speaking on The Lowdown the past two weeks, Port Adelaide co-captain Tom Jonas said Ladhams and Frampton were ready to play at AFL level if called on. “He’ll (Ladhams) be on the radar of any other SANFL team he fronts up against if he isn’t playing AFL by that stage,” Jonas said. “Absolutely he’s up to it, it’s a pretty comprehensive formline so if one of the big boys was to go down or suffer a consistent spell of poor form I’m sure he’d get a go and you’ve got to reward performances like that........................

Good on him.
Glad he took the criticism on board and changed his ways rather than sulking.
Has now given himself the best chance of an AFL career.
So the two young big fellas living together. Pretty darn exciting for them to play their first AFL game together.

Nah there's two things Port don't do - ugly rangas and dreadlocks.
images