Picola & District SE 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roar what are the pros and cons for breaking away
Hi Eagle this is simply my opinion and broken down into two areas which I think are the most importantly currently in football and netball clubs, being time imposed on volunteers and financial, whilst also being somewhat known and forecast.
Keeping in mind that in a membership sense there are or nearly as many netballers as there are footballers.

PRO's:

Known : Reduction on volunteers:
No more s**t stirring on the eve of every season.
No more meetings during the season with minimal notice, where promises are made and not followed through, 4 in 2018 each at critical times around 700 in hours taken up.
Reduced risk of threats of big fines , which has prevented people from taking on roles. ( would think any error in salary cap would be handled far more appropriately than handing out $30K- $50k fines , Don't beleive it has been discussed ?)
Clubs would receive an answer almost immediately 24/7 .

Known : Financial :
Reduction in clothing / football costs . $20 jumpers( including special occasions), $9-10 shorts , $10-$15 footballers
Increase in sponsorship opportunities through things such as apparel / footballs which clubs could receive.
Reduction in cost of affiliation v alternate insurance and website .

Unknown Risks which would be removed :
Player rego fees which have previously been floated by AFLGM that were blocked but have been brought in other areas. $20 per player
Administration by local commission , some have recorded massive losses including rumours locally of $80k plus per annum, some are reporting missing funds totally $500k and losses of over $100k per annum.
10% rise per annum for admin centres.
Introduction of rules or preventing programs eg U11's, junior academy
Introduction of player transfer fees, price payable for inward and outward transfers.
All decisions would be made to suit PDFNL clubs.
Umpire administration fee that was floated in 2016 and operates elsewhere

Possible financially saving with current systems, majority directly to clubs via apparel / footballs ( $10k per club per year ) @ 10K equates to approximately $170k across the league.
Clubs in other leagues have indicated increases of $22.5k per club above the potential savings on current system mentioned above or $32.5k difference .
$550k across the league.

CONS:
U15 schoolboys is ran by AFL Vic country and they could potentially stop kids playing in it( in my opinion since moving to end of season is has become the most irelevent and biggest waste of money in football) our representation since moving to end of season and sides predominately being picked out of the Shepparton based user pay academies by people who haven't seen a pdfnl game, has dropped significantly and now takes up around .2% footballing members and .1 % of total membership.
many of the areas best kids don't even want to play in it and as such it has become irrelevent

Last edited:
Sorry to inform you but my understanding and reality do align and your understanding is completely incorrect.
I do not condone $$ and unrealistic promises being offered to kids.
Your understanding of who is within squads is also clouded due to a number of factors which includes that a number of kids are being targetted by opposing clubs at a younger age which is encouraged by systems such as the points system.
In brief clubs like MFL and PDFNL clubs continue to be far more equiped to develop talented players yet refrain from making ridiculous and outlandish promises to kids . Such promises does see many kids tranfere on the basis of the promises only to be left out in the cold , with their promising career in tatters.
I would suggest there has not been 1 player who has moved away from the PDFNL prior to being identified by the MB's and then gone onto make TAC in the last 10 years at least .
However the list of kids who have gone from the PDFNL to another local league chasing a dream only to have their career decline significant is large and glaring.

Your below comment is strongly denied by many GVFL coaches who have openingly complained about the standard of player coming out of the SDJFL , which has forced them to recruit from surrounding MFL and PDFNL clubs. If the SDJFL is so great why do GVFL clubs spend such high resources and outlandish tactics to recruit PDFNL and MFL kids ?

"In times previous, when the SDJFL had two divisions in the under 16 competition it was a well substantiated fact that the standard of the Division One players was high compared to other competitions with the top teams playing at a standard higher than some Under 17 equivalent teams in the likes of the Murray and Picola Leagues ". .

Although the below statement is in response to wilty and I by no means wish to preted to represent the bushrangers in giving this response , I will give provide you with some facts.
Could the Murray Bushrangers please explain their selection criteria for selecting player for these trial games. If it is from nominations from the respective feeder leagues, then it would appear both MFL and especially the PDFL need to seriously consider what they are doing to help ensure talented young footballers who want hope of such opportunities can do so without having to leave their respective competitions or smaller country clubs, otherwise expect to see the standard of junior football decline, with only large towns and metropolitan based clubs being able to field ‘competitive’ teams.

1.The bushrangers send out nomination forms for clubs to nominate .
2. The bushrangers often communicate with their own staff about the nominations and then determine whether a player is required to trial is straight into the squad or is not succesful .
The PDFNL has led the promotion of junior footballers over the past 8-10 years which is evident by the players who have been drafted or are upon VFL lists .
I think you'll find Shepparton based clubs are struggling for numbers in both junior and senior grades more than or equal to most.
I also beleive that the amount of players drafted from the bushrangers has and I assume still is heavily in favour of district comps.
You appear to have been wrongly informed .

BTW the boy mentioned above who played for SDJFL then left as 15 yr old and played solely seniors at PDFNL club all year has now transferred back to GVL - interesting.
That is a shame as the player I suspect you are referring to had some potential and was being very well guided at his PDFNL club by a very good coach and I understand had been identified for future opportunities including with the Murray Bushrangers system.

HAHAHA this comment you made
I would suggest there has not been 1 player who has moved away from the PDFNL prior to being identified by the MB's and then gone onto make TAC in the last 10 years at least .

Suggest away BUT in this years final squad is a player who could not get a nomination to trial for the PDFNL interleague team (back in the day when they played sort of real interleague) left for the SDJFL, has made every team since and now is a bushranger.
There is also another boy I was told about (yeah remember I listen and check the facts) that also left as above and although hasn't quite made the final cut has knocked on the door the last two years - who knows - maybe he will one of those ones who continue to be watched and called up during the season - as they say is possible?

HAHAHA this comment you made

Suggest away BUT in this years final squad is a player who could not get a nomination to trial for the PDFNL interleague team (back in the day when they played sort of real interleague) left for the SDJFL, has made every team since and now is a bushranger.
There is also another boy I was told about (yeah remember I listen and check the facts) that also left as above and although hasn't quite made the final cut has knocked on the door the last two years - who knows - maybe he will one of those ones who continue to be watched and called up during the season - as they say is possible?
plenty of kids are identified including by MB who don't play interleague . haven't seen the final Bushies squad but was told there are 5 or 6 kids who were identified in the PDFNL in the squad not a bad effort is say .

plenty of kids are identified including by MB who don't play interleague . haven't seen the final Bushies squad but was told there are 5 or 6 kids who were identified in the PDFNL in the squad not a bad effort is say .

5 or 6 kids selected from clubs from districts as small as ours is pretty good going!
A shame some have to find a negative and blow it up to prove a point against the league but fail to recognise the good things being done. Selective listening one could suggest.

I recall the story of Lauren Jackson who didn’t make selections when a young junior basketballer either, some kids just develop at different rates. They tell that story at all trials to encourage kids to keep trying and not focus on the negative of missing that particular tryout.

i Will say this a kid missing a selection here or there is a totally different thing to governing body using threats that children will miss being selected in elite squads to try and coerce and bully clubs into signing agreements that they have concerns with.
Last year those threats made by Nicholas Rolfe of AFLVic ,which were general so no one knew what squads he meant so everyone thinks the worst, were a disgrace. How we can have any goodwill towards them is beyond me.

Whilst on AFLGM I listen but I also watch and read and see others actions at play. Now the following story from a few years ago is interesting on a couple of fronts.
First Martin Gleeson seems so preoccupied with increasing his team that nothing is mentioned about how we the clubs benefit from him having more staff under him.
Wonder how Dale Norman MFL operations manager felt being speculated about like that when MFL were nowhere near signing up and still don’t want to by all reports. How disrespectful to speculate so publicly.

But what I really want to know and so should everyone whatever happened to IF the other leagues join (Gleeson says IF a number of times) and how did it become WHEN WE FORCE them to join??

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/shepparton-news/20130720/282110634215293

Am I right in saying that this situation came up this time last year and if so why does it keep popping its head up right before the start of the season?

Am I right in saying that this situation came up this time last year and if so why does it keep popping its head up right before the start of the season?

Yeah your right it did. I get very anxious if Gleeson hasn’t thought up a reason to cause the league trouble by the beginning of March he is so predictable on it ;)

Only my opinion but have been watching this for a while. It’s like the saying if you say the same lie over and over people will eventually believe it, particularly in politics.

I’m convinced Gleeson and co believe if they keep making trouble for the league right at the start of the season then we will start to turn on our board.

This time however I reckon they are worried about all the other leagues joining our chorus of unrest with AFLVic and are trying to put it out there that we are troublemakers. Deflect away from your own incompetence by attacking the personality of another.

Their usual way of doing this has been to use timeframes as a means to say this wasn’t done by this date. Mind you I’d like to know if they have ever held themselves to the same standards of accountability on timeframes or if they just change things to suit themselves, who would know given they aren’t accountable to anyone.

Good to see the AFLGM playbook does not change from year to year. Also good to see they are still yet to get to clubs what they promised in March last year, #do they care about timelines????? It is now time for all country footballers and netballers to stand up for their clubs, their communities, their families and support the pushback against a rapacious and narcissistic despot.

Did MFL sign an agreement with AFL GM last year?
Are they likely to this year? If they don't will AFL GM also take the same action with them?
What support is the PDFNL receiving from other leagues around the state who are yet to sign their agreements?

Do you believe AFL GM will remove form the squads the one U16 and 10 academy PDFL players Martin Gleeson mentioned in his ABC interview this morning?

if this isn't resolved what happens in regards to salary caps and player points?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IM usually one to allow people to make their own decisions as a club but tungamah you have been deliberately undermining the board for years now and your fellow clubs know it.
Again you go running to the media to cause unrest and trouble whilst we all work through issues and the league tries to get a better deal for us all NOT just Tungamah.
If your so good go the the Murray League and be done with it.
Your club abandoned the Tungamah League and have tried to dominate management of the Pdfnl. Thing is since the change in management structure the league has flourished something I’m sure you will never admit.
Have your opinion but geez play a team game and not just for yourselves. You were welcomed by the Picola League a League I have been a part of for 37 years and boy I get mad when I know what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.
Your club has shown you have no courage and only interested in yourselves time and time again.
I will personally challenge Troy Castigan to debate this issue in front of all club representatives and get him to explain why AFLGM have done some things I am aware of that spat on our members.

So if anyone knows Troy and if the other clubs agree for me to step in I’m up for it it on behalf of Blighty and for country clubs to retain a voice on how things are run,

Oh and Castigan instead of trying to coerce other pdfnl clubs to go with you why doesn’t your club show some balls and ask to transfer to the MFL? Too scared you won’t dominate like you have here?? Nothing worse than cowards no matter how successful you may appear to be. Let’s face it flags against competitors you know or at least think you are so much stronger than well isn’t worth much is it?? Not to oberservers like me anyway.
I look forward to hearing from the league to schedule the debate.

Last edited:
IM usually one to allow people to make their own decisions as a club but tungamah you have been deliberately undermining the board for years now and your fellow clubs know it.
Again you go running to the media to cause unrest and trouble whilst we all work through issues and the league tries to get a better deal for us all NOT just Tungamah.
Your club abandoned the Tungamah League and have tried to dominate management of the Pdfnl. Thing is since the change in management structure the league has flourished something I’m sure you will never admit.
Have your opinion but geez play a team game and not just for yourselves. You were welcomed by the Picola League a League I have been a part of for 37 years and boy I get mad when I know what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.
Your club has shown you have no courage and only interested in yourselves time and time again.
I will personally challenge Troy Castigan to debate this issue in front of all club representatives and get him to explain why AFLGM have done some things I am aware of that spat on our members.

So if anyone knows Troy and if the other clubs agree for me to step in I’m up for it it on behalf of Blighty and for country clubs to retain a voice on how things are run,

Oh and Castigan instead of trying to coerce other pdfnl clubs to go with you why doesn’t your club show some balls and ask to transfer to the MFL? Too scared you won’t dominate like you have here?? Nothing worse than cowards no matter how successful you may appear to be. Let’s face it flags against competitors you know or at least think you are so much stronger than well isn’t worth much is it?? Not to oberservers like me anyway.

Very Interesting reading your post wouldllietoyou i have followed you a bit on here for some time now and as a member of the Tungamah Football Netball Club i think you talk absolute s**t and need to do some homework before bagging our football club. 1/ Its Costigan not Castigan 2/Tungamah didnt run to the media a concerned parent did and the media came to us.3/We were forced out of the defunct Tungamah Football League as a restructure of Football in the area 4/Give me some facts how Tungamah have tryed to dominate management of the PDFNL 5/ And ******** we are not scared of the Murray League if it is in the best interest of our Football Club. You have written your post and attacked our president and club in no way in the article that you are refering to did we say anything bad about the Picola League all we want as a club is to be affiliated due to junior pathways and also funding opportunities every club is intitled to there opinion

Very Interesting reading your post wouldllietoyou i have followed you a bit on here for some time now and as a member of the Tungamah Football Netball Club i think you talk absolute s**t and need to do some homework before bagging our football club. 1/ Its Costigan not Castigan 2/Tungamah didnt run to the media a concerned parent did and the media came to us.3/We were forced out of the defunct Tungamah Football League as a restructure of Football in the area 4/Give me some facts how Tungamah have tryed to dominate management of the PDFNL 5/ And ******** we are not scared of the Murray League if it is in the best interest of our Football Club. You have written your post and attacked our president and club in no way in the article that you are refering to did we say anything bad about the Picola League all we want as a club is to be affiliated due to junior pathways and also funding opportunities every club is intitled to there opinion

If you decide to go to the media expect others to criticise and have an opinion on it especially with an issue as important as this.
Did your club also go to the media last year when this blew up?
Are you denying in that article it speaks of you wanting to be affiliated with a league with pathways and wanting 6 or 7 others to go with you? That’s what I read. To me that’s undermining everything that’s trying to be achieved by the league.

why caNt AFLvic come up with a compromise on the pathways if they pretend to be so caring of our children. It’s not hard to work out unless of course the pathways and our kids are the only big stick they have to force us to sign agreements that may not be in our best interests?

On the management side this is my opinion and it’s based on comments firstly made by Sandie Dickie when in election mode and then since she lost the election your club has come out alot in the media especially about things like this. Do not blame me for an opinion formed by comments your club members have made publicly.

Last edited:
If you decide to go to the media expect others to criticise and have an opinion on it especially with an issue as important as this.
Did your club also go to the media last year when this blew up?
Are you denying in that article it speaks of you wanting to be affiliated with a league with pathways and wanting 6 or 7 others to go with you? That’s what I read. To me that’s undermining everything that’s trying to be achieved by the league.

why caNt AFLvic come up with a compromise on the pathways if they pretend to be so caring of our children. It’s not hard to work out unless of course the pathways and our kids are the only big stick they have to force us to sign agreements that may not be in our best interests?

On the management side this is my opinion and it’s based on comments firstly made by Sandie Dickie when in election mode and then since she lost the election your club has come out alot in the media especially about things like this. Do not blame me for an opinion formed by comments your club members have made publicly.
Mate you seem to know a lot about what goes on at league and board level maybe stop hiding behind your keyboard and tell us who you are and instead of posting s**t on here get out and fix things so we can all just get on and play and enjoy our sports and clubs.

in the above article is a link to the below article which states MFL are remaining aligned to AFL GM yet there is a comment on their forum contray to this - do you or anyone else - maybe @theroarisback have any clarity on this matter - you seem to be 'well informed??' - has their position changed since the RAC action on Monday?

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5258896/footy-administration-call-heats-up-for-o-and-m/

Mate you seem to know a lot about what goes on at league and board level maybe stop hiding behind your keyboard and tell us who you are and instead of posting s**t on here get out and fix things so we can all just get on and play and enjoy our sports and clubs.

It’s my understanding most pdfnl posters know who I am and mate I’ve offered to front up to a debate so I’m not hiding.

Cou

good to here you seem to be on top of everything one of those blokes that never seem to be wrong enjoy your footy season mate

No fact is you couldn’t come up with the counter argument.

I’m a woman by the way not that it changes anything but women take far more notice of things and have long memories.

Have a good season.

Argument from People on here regarding this situation is playing into the AFLGM hands. AFLGM reads these post

I have heard that AFLGM called the junior bushrangers which 24 hours of the split. That does not look good in AFLGM.

I do wish Shane Railton and the PDFL. I want them to work al but the PDFL clubs and fans need to stick together and support the league. not to internal combust the Greatest preforming league of the past couple of years in the Goulburn Murray Football district. AFLGM want you to infight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back