Pies, Blues eye Judd

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pies, Blues eye Judd

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21557755%5E19742,00.html

COLLINGWOOD and Carlton will join the hunt to entice million-dollar star Chris Judd home at season's end.

But Magpies coach Mick Malthouse believes it is a forlorn hope.

Malthouse expects Judd to stay at West Coast beyond 2007 although he confirmed yesterday the Pies would be pitching for the Victorian Brownlow medallist when he came out of contract at the end of this season.

"We'd be derelict if we don't talk to him," Malthouse said on radio SEN.

"If he is uncontracted at the end of this year we are not going to sit back and be the only club that doesn't talk to him - that would be plain stupidity.

"My thinking would be that he would stay in Perth, he has got it very good over there, it is a wonderful football club and they'll move heaven and earth to retain him."

Carlton president Richard Pratt has so far left no stone unturned in his quest to bring the best to the Blues and hinted Judd was on the radar.

"Let's say that we'd be interested if he'd be interested," Pratt said last night.

"He is a very great player and I hope he does well wherever he goes."

Kangaroos chairman Graham Duff started the bidding on Friday when he announced the Roos would have room in their salary cap to make a $1 million offer for Judd.

But Malthouse said his club would not be putting all its eggs in the Judd basket.

"If Chris Judd comes to Victoria and he ends up playing for Collingwood that would be great," he said.

"But the facts are I haven't got my heart and soul on Chris Judd being a Collingwood player next year because I don't think that he'll move.

"Our modus operandi is to build a side through Brad Dick, Shannon Cox, Dale Thomas, Scott Pendlebury, Alan Toovey . . . all those kids."

"If he is uncontracted at the end of this year we are not going to sit back and be the only club that doesn't talk to him - that would be plain stupidity. "

That says it all... What club wouldn't be in the race for him if the chance arose.

Stupid thing to start a thread on, because 15 other teams are eyeing Judd too, all while still knowing there is very little chance he would ever leave... Doesn't mean it's not worth a crack

Fair dinkum. You Victorians are pathetic. Its Round 3. Does any journalist or person in the state plan on talking about football anytime soon or what

Fair dinkum. You Victorians are pathetic. Its Round 3. Does any journalist or person in the state plan on talking about football anytime soon or what

Im a little sick of the drugs in football issue myself but maybe if a footballer wasnt addicted to drugs then it wouldnt be talked about.

Doubt he will leave, but one of their stars will.
Besides Judd who is out of contract at The Eagles at the end of the year?

.....Juddy moving to a mediocre victorian team where the weather is sh&t and the lifestyle doest compare to the lifestyle of the west for a salary that is easily covered ten fold by the weagles (in the big picture).....

...tell him he's dreamin......

.....Juddy moving to a mediocre victorian team where the weather is sh&t and the lifestyle doest compare to the lifestyle of the west for a salary that is easily covered ten fold by the weagles (in the big picture).....

Don't think he will come east, but i do think Judd might not mind coming back to his home town and he would definately earn more from endorsements in Vic than he would in WA so not sure how you figure out his salary would be covered ten fold by the eagles which would be 10million a year which would be a fair truckload of cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 million a year for Juddy, tell him he's dreamin

Lifestyle? Hot and bored? or Hot and wasted?

A better lifestyle? I've heard some very bad reports about Perth. Why do you think alot of Perth's growth is driven by rural Western Australians and not alot of interstaters? Don't be so arrogant to think Perth is the best place on earth - infact its far from it. For a start its isolated - being able to jump on a plane and be anywhere from Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney, Tasmania in 2 hours is a big lifestyle thing. New Zealand is nearly as close as Perth.

Melbourne is also the home of AFL - the amount of marketing and promotional opportunities that would exist for Judd would be massive. Don't get thinking the fishbowl has more opportunities in either the promotional or corporate worlds. Even post football, Perth may have alot of mining executives at the moment - but look where Australia's two biggest miners are headquartered? Look at where corporate Australia lives, look where 80% of Australian Superannuation money is run from. Don't be so arrogant that Judd has more opportunies in Perth (both now and in his future business career) than he does in Melbourne. Infact, you would be ignorant to suggest he does.

I wouldn't be so arrogant to suggest that Judd can't make alot of difference in a team. Infact, I would argue that is why he is so valued because he has the potential to turn a mediocre team into a premeirship team. I would go to suggest that WCE are a mediocre team without Judd's presence.

It will be interesting to see how many ego's of players at clubs are dented, when their names are put forward for a trade with Judd.

Why bother?
He will stay home, and each week the so called"rumour mill" (generated by player managers) will have him going to different clubs.

Come On.....wake up, Jason Akermanis done it at Brissy, and admitted later he did leak news on purpose to drive the price up.

Is he worth a million a year....NO.

Yes he is a good player, no doubting it. But if i'de say D kerr is better.

To hear Carlton fans say they would give Fev, Murphy and Gibbs away for Judd is just plain laughable.Anyone would think he is god.

He is not unbeatable. Just demands more attention.

Like Akermanis...put him in an ordinary side and see the difference.

Put him in a Richmond and North side and tell me if he would get the support around him to be a million dollar player.
He walks taller, as anyone in that west coast side does because they are side with great depth, and their first 10-12 players would be best players at any club.

Eddie's getting Rebecca's new seat on Channel 9's News set ready as we speak.

It won't happen, but if Judd wants to go down as the most well known player in the history of the VFL/AFL, he'll don a Collingwood jumper next year.

this is all judds doing. with all the troubles of your club recently, as captain he needs to either commit to the club now or say he is leaving. otherwise this will go on all year and could become a real distraction for the eagles

It'd be stupid and irresponsible on Carlton's behalf to chase a player worth 1,000,000+

Collingwood will probably offer him a 500,000 dollar contract, with roles on the footy show, channel 9 news etc. etc. to make up the 1,000,000+ salary - completely illegal but very hard to govern against.

To hear Carlton fans say they would give Fev, Murphy and Gibbs away for Judd is just plain laughable.Anyone would think he is god.

Never heard a Carlton fan say that and i think that you made it up and your mind is gone.
No Carlton fan would give away Fev, Murphy and Gibbs for one player, even if it is Judd.

u r out yer mind!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back