Autopsy Pies v Kuwarna (Crows) - AFL Rd 10, 2024 - Sat May 18TH 1:45PM (M.C.G.)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Crows by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Crows by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

1.5m???

Go put a tape measure on the ground and show me someone that covers 1.5m in one stride? šŸ˜‚

Fun fact: Usain Bolt took 41 steps in his world record 100m time of 9.58 seconds. He actually finished halfway in between 40-41 and his average stride length was measured at 2.449 metres. Rankine is no Usain Bolt, but he is still a top of the line athlete. Would not surprise me if his stride length was pushing 2 metres at full tilt.

That pic shows the slightest bit of contact that in no way is worthy of a free. Hill played for the free and the ump called his bluff.
ill post the whole set later, it was a free every day of the week! except when the umps want the crows to win!

Iā€™ve always been of the belief that what comes around goes around. I do look forward to it coming around to us though because we certainly seem to be getting the s**t end of the stick with late game umpiring calls at the moment.

If that is indeed how it works, at least us pies supporters have been getting paid upfront for the last three seasons including at least one premiership. When the time comes to close the tab, we got our money's worth ;) maybe we already paid some of it off in 2002 and 2018. Mind you, "that bounce" in 2010 did a lot to square the ledger at least up to 2018.

My reaction instead of crying and throwing the toys out of the cot was to google the ******* rule and understand that it was applied correctly

Obviously itā€™s not always applied and thatā€™s the problem, but in this case the umpire was absolutely correct
It says a lot about the state of the main board that this kind of thing is actually an extreme outlier opinion. Well played.

Iā€™m
The mown strips are 9m I think. When he had run through 2 complete strips he was always going to be pinged. It wasnā€™t marginal.

You completely miss the point.

Who cares? AFL is not a game of forensics. We do not measure if a kick went 15 metres. We don't measure 50 metre penalties. We don't video review every around the neck decision or where players are standing on the mark.

It is the discretionary nature of the game that makes it so exciting. It is players doing great things in the dying minutes of a game that fans go to see.

We don't go to see a player pulled up for running 18 metres when he should have run 15 in the last minute of a game that was up until then a cracker.

I don't care if the decision was technically right or wrong, it was at best marginal and the umpire effectively blew the siren with 30 seconds remaining on the clock.

Iā€™m

Who cares? AFL is not a game of forensics. We do not measure if a kick went 15 metres. We don't measure 50 metre penalties. We don't video review every around the neck decision or where players are standing on the mark.

It is the discretionary nature of the game that makes it so exciting. It is players doing great things in the dying minutes of a game that fans go to see.

We don't go to see a player pulled up for running 18 metres when he should have run 15 in the last minute of a game that was up until then a cracker.

I don't care if the decision was technically right or wrong, it was at best marginal and the umpire effectively blew the siren with 30 seconds remaining on the clock.
We won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not whataboutism. It's exactly on point. The outrage is the inconsistency, and that the umpire would choose that particular moment to suddenly adjudicate to the letter of the law. What can't you understand about that?
that he almost ran twice the distant that he is allowed to....
it wasn't 16, 17 or 20 meters it's 24.
How could he not call it.

LOL Channel 7 using my image too

View attachment 1992991

So we play with no rules to acknowledge the "sense of occasion". Supporters go nuts when no free kicks are paid, and usually on Monday every free kick that was missed gets dissected with the precision of a brain surgeon, yet we shouldn't pay free kicks that are obviously there to suit the occasion...šŸ¤”
I think Rankine is an absolute super star, but if you run over 25 metres and don't bounce the ball, you're pretty much going to get called for running to far. If he ran only 17 or 19 metres then he probably wouldn't have been penalised. Plus who's to say Adelaide would have even scored with the F50 entry with 12 seconds left on the clock...

.... but if you run over 25 metres and don't bounce the ball, you're pretty much going to get called for running to far.
No you won't.

That's the issue.

I personally don't think that the 'sense of occasion' thing is relevant. Umpires can't be deciding what is a cool story and what isn't. That's absurd for a professional sport.

It's simply that it just never gets paid. You pretty much have to run 40m for even the crowd to notice that a guy may have run too far. Even then umpires rarely call it.

To suddenly pluck one out in a close game at the death was just appalling officiating.

Last edited:
No you won't.

That's the issue.

I personally don't think that the 'sense of occasion' thing is relevant. Umpires can't be deciding what is a cool sorry and what isn't. That's absurd for a professional sport.

It's simply that it just never gets paid. You pretty much have to run 40m for even the crowd to notice that a guy may have run too far. Even then umpires rarely call it.

To suddenly pluck one out in a close game at the death was just appalling officiating.

Appalling officiating? Aren't the umpires there to officiate the rules of the game as they are, and to pay a free kick as they see it?
You can't have it both ways and cry foul when a blatant free kick isn't paid, and then turn a blind eye when the correct decision, in the interpretation of the rules, is paid and call it appalling. If that's the case, the umps have no hope in officiating games to the satisfaction of supporters......

No you won't.

That's the issue.

I personally don't think that the 'sense of occasion' thing is relevant. Umpires can't be deciding what is a cool sorry and what isn't. That's absurd for a professional sport.

Exactly right.

Itā€™s nothing to do with sense of occasion, and everything to do with inconsistency.

Its also that the umpires donā€™t have the guts to make a call against a big Vic club in the dying seconds (Draper HTB) but they sure as hell are willing to pull out a call against Adelaide to seal the game.

I donā€™t think it decided the game, the odds of us scoring are probably low. Iā€™m just sick of the only consistency being how often my team gets screwed over because Iā€™m unfortunate enough to barrack for a non-Victorian side.

No you won't.

That's the issue.

So the decision not to pay a free kick against Keane in the last couple of minutes, when he was tackled and basically threw the ball out from his possession, which would have given us a free kick and a shot on goal. Was that "appalling officiating"?

Appalling officiating? Aren't the umpires there to officiate the rules of the game as they are, and to pay a free kick as they see it?
You can't have it both ways and cry foul when a blatant free kick isn't paid, and then turn a blind eye when the correct decision, in the interpretation of the rules, is paid and call it appalling. If that's the case, the umps have no hope in officiating games to the satisfaction of supporters......
Yes - but by never paying something, you're effectively redefining the interpretation.

The 'Too Far' has not literally been 15m for decades. It's closer to 40m. But suddenly, out of the blue, in one instance the umpire decides that it's 15m again!

Iā€™m

They definitely didnā€™t use the same measuring standards when the full back plays on after a behind. Most of them run about 30 metres

So the decision not to pay a free kick against Keane in the last couple of minutes, when he was tackled and basically threw the ball out from his possession, which would have given us a free kick and a shot on goal. Was that "appalling officiating"?
Yes.

The officiating of HTB is simply disgusting this year. It makes football borderline unwatchable.

But not sure what this has to do with my posts on this topic though?

Last edited:
Back