Multiplat PlayStation Plus

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else playing Okami HD?

Aside from the slow & unskippable text boxes at the start and the lame japanese humor, it's a very nice game, especially the visuals.

Aside from the slow & unskippable text boxes at the start and the lame japanese humor, it's a very nice game, especially the visuals.

Gonna start playing this one either tonight or tomorrow night - Mass Effect 3 is giving me a head ache and I need something a bit more casual.

Okami HD has the worst intro I've ever seen in a game. 20 minutes of crawling textbox in a gibbering voice.

Loaded it up for a quick taste before I had to do some other stuff, and I got almost zero playtime. Will play eventually but baffled at that intro.

Okami HD has the worst intro I've ever seen in a game. 20 minutes of crawling textbox in a gibbering voice.

Loaded it up for a quick taste before I had to do some other stuff, and I got almost zero playtime. Will play eventually but baffled at that intro.
Know exactly how you feel. Absolutely god awful intro.

Playing through The Cave now.

It's not a bad little game, some dumb decisions made in the overall scheme of things with it and there's some bad framerate drops at times. But for a one playthrough game it's pretty decent.

Reminds me a lot of Stacking, has your general sort of puzzle set ups with weird, never obvious (but 'developer obvious' - as in, we stuck something in the area earlier that looks kinda different to normal so that's the way you complete this part of the puzzle) ways to solve them.

The dumb part of the game though is that you're given 7 potential playable characters, of which you can choose 3 and whoever you choose it will give you exclusive levels based on those specific characters, mixed in with the normal levels that are there no matter what.

What this means is that to 100% the game you need to play it 3 times over, 2 times with the same 2 characters (as due to the odd number of selectable players you will need to play with 2 of the characters that you have used previously, plus one new one on your last playthrough).

The main problem is that this is a puzzle game and the puzzles are not dynamic. So you're going to be playing the same 5 levels, with only 3 new levels (1 on the last playthrough - 2 that you'll be doing again) on each 3 playthroughs. And the devs weren't wise enough to lock out the previously played levels to give you new content every single time.

To top it off, the game isn't overly fast. The animations and back tracking that goes on through the puzzles and how you complete them, means that it takes time even if you're trying to rush through.

The other dumb design choice by the devs is that this game is clearly made to be played in co-op. It's got that similar abilities concept as Trine, only it's not as smartly pulled off. Where in Trine you can quickly swap between characters without having to lug them along with you the entire journey, in this game, if playing solo you have to leave 2 dormant characters standing around doing nothing for a majority of the time. The only reason you really ever select other characters are because they're holding something that you need to complete a puzzle or because they have an ability that can subvert the puzzle in play (because that's one key concept of the game - every character has one ability that will be able to 'break' certain puzzles so you don't really have to complete them as intended). And when you've got no online play, it makes that an even worse choice because at least if you can't get 1 or 2 others to play with you on the game in real life, then at least there'd be someone out there on the internet that probably would.

So overall, not a bad little game. Some decent characters, back stories and the game doesn't look all that bad either (except for when water is on the screen it rips the framerate to shreds). But it's hurt by 2 concepts that could've easily been changed ever so slightly and made for a much better experience.

I also encountered a huge bug on the 2nd level where I managed to climb out of the level geometry and thus the game crashed and ruined my save file. So there's that too...

That'd be awesome - have never really played the Hitman franchise (played a demo on PC way back but besides that haven't played it). Was thinking of buying it to see if its any good but if I can get it for free, then SWEET!

I'm in the same position. I was gonna buy this one second hand for $40 in a few months time. Stoked I'll be able to pick it up on PS+!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bugger, will hold out the next few months to see if another deal pops up
Yeah, there's always something every few months. Usually June/July see's a deal pop up.
Just downloaded this last night. Will give it a shot sometime in the not too distant future. Fortunately I don't really care about 100% 'ing, so one run through will probably do me unless the game really catches me.
It's a decent game, just tedious.

Last night I got the best and what I am 99% sure would be the worst levels basically backing onto each other.

If you want the best, go the Twins. If you don't want the worst, don't go for the Time Traveler. The concept of the Time Traveler level is awesome and it looks really cool too (you obviously travel through time on this one level to complete the puzzles), but in order to complete the puzzles you'll be sitting there for a long time scratching your head on what to do.

Where as the Twins level is basically solely focused on the Twins, so there's no tedious jumping between characters half the time (there is for a tiny bit of the level) and it's also sickly dark so it makes for an enjoyable time.

I also chose the Hillbilly, who's unique level popped up first. That was a decent bunch of puzzles as well (based around a carnival theme).

Has PS+ stopped the 1 year + 3 bonus months deal?

Yeah I'm spewing, was just about to get it.

What I'm curious about now is how PS Plus will affect PS3 games when the PS4 is released. If they turn off the servers like the original Xbox is, how that may affect this too...

I'm in the same position. I was gonna buy this one second hand for $40 in a few months time. Stoked I'll be able to pick it up on PS+!:thumbsu:

One of my favourite games of the year. Was blown away by how good it made me feel.

I think you guys mentioning the 20 minutes of gibberish before actual game play soften the blow, otherwise I would've turned it off.

Glad I didn't though - truly a visually beautiful game. And I love Japanese art so I'm really enjoying it from an appearance perspective at the very least.

One of my favourite games of the year. Was blown away by how good it made me feel.

It made you feel good?

Explain without spoiling.

I think you guys mentioning the 20 minutes of gibberish before actual game play soften the blow, otherwise I would've turned it off.

Glad I didn't though - truly a visually beautiful game. And I love Japanese art so I'm really enjoying it from an appearance perspective at the very least.

It made you feel good?

Explain without spoiling.

I just really really enjoyed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back