Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

The metal/hard rock Grammies are interesting, Metallica’s in 1999 was for a song that was never a single and they’ve never played live and is basically sh*t, can’t figure it out.
The weirdest one was when Crest of Knave by Jethro Tull beat And Justice For All in the best Hard Rock category.

The Titanic sank on 15 April 1912, but the date 31 May seems to hang over the doomed liner more than any other.

The first man to conceive the Titanic and her sisters Olympic and Brittanic was Lord William Pirie, Chairman of shipbuilders Harland and Wolff and this was by means of a sketch at a dinner party with White Star Line Managing Director Bruce Ismay in 1907. Pirie's date of birth was 31st May 1847. The Titanic was launched on 31st May 1911, the same date that her older sister Olympic was completed for fitting out ahead of her (Olympic) sea trials. And the last Titanic survivor to die was Millvina Dean at age 97 on 31st May 2009.

Bradman made his Test debut ninety three years ago today.

Reminds me of this...

whri0tzz10rz.jpg

It’s tempting to think that the greats of other sports, people like Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky, and so on, must stand out just as far as Bradman. But a look at the statistics doesn’t back this up. For example, Jordan scored an average of 30.12 points per game, a monumental achievement, but only a fraction ahead of Wilt Chamberlain’s 30.07, with a somewhat larger gap to Allen Iverson, with 27.73. Following Iverson there are many others with averages of around 26 or 27 points per game.

For comparison, Bradman could have deliberately thrown his innings away for zero (a “duck” in cricket parlance) one time in every three innings, and he’d still have a career average of nearly 67; he’d still be far and away the greatest batsman ever to live. Even if Bradman had deliberately thrown his innings away one time in two, his average would be about 50, and he’d have been a topflight batsman.

To provide a picture of the difference, it was statistically formulated that with such ratings as the basis, Jordan would need to have scored 43 poinst per game to have a 4.4 rating! It's impossible to imagine any basketball player achieving that. Furthermore, Nicklaus would have required 25+ majors and Ty Cobb would have needed a batting average of .392, an unthinkable mark for any player.

It's quite simple really. I wouldn't be surprised if some (some?) golfer won 18 majors, a baseball player averaged .367 or a basketball player averaged over 30 points per game. I wouldn't even mind putting money on it (for an unlimited time period, that is).

I would bet everything in the bank, however, on the fact that no cricketer will ever, ever come close to breaking the 99.94 mark that has long since become part of cricketing folklore

If you ask Americans, they would argue for Jordan, Gretzsky, Nicklaus etc to the most dominant athletes in their sport - but it's no contest if you remember cricket exists.

I remember reading the results of some study about who was the most outstanding athlete. The results were along the line that a basketball player of Jordan's ability would come along once per hundred years, whereas a cricketer the equivalent of Bradman would occur once per 10,000 years

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

heather mckay in squash would have to be up near bradman in terms of dominance. when she retired in 1981 at the age of 40, she had only lost two matches in her entire career and hadnt been defeated for 20 years.

also played hockey for australia and is in the USA raquetball hall of fame.
There was also a male Squash player Khan who dominated

Maybe Jansher iirc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A swathe of pollutants and indicators of poverty have been linked to changes in the ratio of baby boys to girls born to millions of parents.
Mercury, chromium and aluminium pollution correlated with more boys being born, while lead pollution increased the proportion of girls.
Proximity to farming or factories also affected the sex ratio, possibly due to higher chemical exposures.

Russia was not one of the 22 surveyed, and Poland only had a small number of respondents. Most were also European countries.
I mean 22 countries isn't even 15% of them so i assumed at least one of the two wasn't part of the survey

In an early version of "Cinderella", the main character's name is Ella. One of the ugly stepsisters decides to rename Ella due to Ella's habit of sitting among the cinders. Thus Ella is briefly referred to as Cinderslut. The other stepsister butts in an suggests Ella should be called Cinder-Ella. This name then quickly becomes a one-word name.
With the word "s-l-u-t" being used in a children's story I can only assume the word did not have the same nasty connotations back then as it does today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back