News & Events Pokies

Remove this Banner Ad

I see there is / has been a bit of a recent push for AFL Clubs to lead the way and drop their poker machines at the venues they run and set the standard for society.

Personally I could not care less if they where all removed and never seen again. Never been Interested in playing them. Never will be. However I do not agree it is up to the clubs to provide the standard on this. Until they are deemed illegal they will be in venues and if the AFL clubs are not running them then even more money goes into the pockets of a very few people with nothing to show for it. At least with the AFL clubs some of the money is used for community programs and at the very least for our entertainment watching our side on the field every week.

There is a strong case against them and the issues caused by problem gambling as it is very easy to put your weeks wage down the slot in no time. I was listening to Radar on SEN last week and he was talking about the AFL clubs should be doing it on moral grounds because of the the issues in society they cause which is OK if that is how you feel but 10 minutes later they where discussing having a drink and how they would struggle on the new diet without carbs.

Now here is my moral issue. Gambling is not a problem for most but is a serious issue for some in the same way as alcohol is to others. If you are going to stand on your soap box and point the finger at poker machines for the issues they cause some sections of society then you had better be asking for an alcohol ban on the same moral grounds given the grog causes many more issues including serious medical illness , depression, serious road accidents , a large portion of domestic violence , most of the deaths from the one punch heros and horrendous issues within the Indigenous communities.

Now neither will be banned , the poker machine licenses have just been extended and no one will ever consider banning alcohol but if you want to stand on the soap box then you may want to extend the morals across a broader spectrum before you get up there.

I will throw this one out there. The legal limit for driving should be lower or even zero. Driving is the most dangerous thing you can do legally. Out of respect for others more than anything else you should not drink and drive. I can never get my youngest brother back but everyone out there can have just 1 drink after work or catch a Taxi , Uber or public transport if they are out and about and having a few.

Those things ruined my life. Hate em. they cost me an awful lot. And I’m not even the one ‘playing’ them.

They are an absolute cancer on society that rips at the people least able to afford them.

I'd like to see a government based long term plan to remove them from the state entirely.
Doubt it will happen unfortunately...
PepperyGiddyDrake-max-1mb.gif

Well, maybe a majority Greens state government could get us there. But hopefully that atrocity (Greens government) never takes place.

Doubt it will happen unfortunately...
PepperyGiddyDrake-max-1mb.gif

Well, maybe a majority Greens state government could get us there. But hopefully that atrocity (Greens government) never takes place.

Yeah I doubt it as well.

Don't get me wrong, I like to have the occasional gamble (poker, horses etc) as much as the next guy or girl, but pokies are just life sucking leeches.

We'd be well served removing them from our midst.

Not that it'll happen, as you say.

I like to be in more control of how I lose my money. I punt on the wrong horse or the wrong team, it's my fault. Relying on an algorithm to determine when a punter may get a win isn't my idea of gambling.

I'd have zero issue with them being scrapped altogether but I know this won't happen. If Essendon can divorce themselves from pokies over the coming years I'd see it as a win for the club. Sure, we might not have as many funds to pump into the community but we wouldn't be contributing to the misery these machines inflict on too many people. Yes, someone else will snap up the licences and the number of pokies will remain the same, but we wouldn't be a contributor to the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back