Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Respectfully disagree. Particularly if it's funding to state services. State services get away with not innovating and not putting into place vastly superior processes and efficiency gains because they get so much funding. They have no need to innovate because they are never stretched for staff and funding. Cutting them back every once in a while will cause them to think about how they can do things better for less money. You can't keep giving them more and more money all the time as they get extremely comfortable and for example, when a person leaves they immediately replace them instead of first considering whether the role should be re-defined or if it's even required at all.

Government agencies intentionally spend every cent in their budget because if they don't, they'll get that budget taken from them and put somewhere else. It's an insane system. They have to be forcibly cut occasionally so they trim the fat, re-work their processes and then you can put some money back into them. Right now, more money into these agencies is money wasted. They could re-allocate the funds to more construction and maintenance or heaven forbid - power generation.

As you say, that's not cutting spending per-se but rather re-allocating it so that we balance the best bang for buck - which Labor has been absolutely horrendous with in this state over the past decade. Because they are so run by unions, they continually pour money into very poor business models/processes in order to keep people in jobs as they fear union backlash. It's the classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Maybe, but by way of an example relevant to the Port board I’d rather a bunch of union types get overpaid for the Alberton redevelopment than the Alberton redevelopment not happen at all.

It’s easy to bag any current government no matter who’s in, it’s the Australian way. We wouldn’t have the Adelaide Oval if the Libs were in last time.

Tell me, does Marshall reek of any sort of vision? They will be a disaster and all the good work moving towards a renewable future will be undone.... we will be run by the Feds, Marshall couldn’t run a wok in a box for Christ’s sake.

I swing my vote too but see no reason why the other mob deserve it when they’ve been inept for so long.

It’s easy to bag any current government no matter who’s in, it’s the Australian way. We wouldn’t have the Adelaide Oval if the Libs were in last time.

Tell me, does Marshall reek of any sort of vision? They will be a disaster and all the good work moving towards a renewable future will be undone.... we will be run by the Feds, Marshall couldn’t run a wok in a box for Christ’s sake.

I swing my vote too but see no reason why the other mob deserve it when they’ve been inept for so long.
Yes, he really seems a poor leader lacking any sort of vision.

I don't know when compulsory voting was introduced in Australia ( that info should be available on the internet ) but I remember watching a political debate back in the late 1960's on the ABC when I was approaching voting age myself ( you had to be 21 back then ), where it was suggested by a panel that one of the major reasons for mandatory voting had something to do with fears that many average Aussies would not be bothered to vote unless they had to, as many were apparently considered to have little to, no interest in politics.

I'm not suggesting that is the definitive reasoning for compulsory voting, but I worked with, and had a number of friends when I was in my 20's and 30's who told me they only voted because they had to, but I suspect similar age groups will have more interest in the political scene today.

We don’t have compulsory voting - it is compulsory attendance at a polling booth. You don’t have to mark your ballot paper, you just have to get marked off the roll.

Yeah I was against the Tram from the start for a few reasons.

- It's slow, very slow
- Ruined traffic flow and spacing
- is a pointless route because they refuse to build it to O'Connell st which was the only route that made sense but that wouldn't fly politically with free travel to Nth Adl residents
- was already serviced by a train to Bowden
- free buses around were much more regular
- only in Adelaide pedestrian lights at EVERY platform is so overkill it's not funny.

This extension with no right turn is ridiculous, people are not going to get off and wait for the next one or walk to the Gawler place stop on the other line to then go 2 more stops up Nth Terrace, with the speed of the Trams here everyone will just walk. There was a reason they were taken out in the first place and that reason still holds. There's several other reasons too like priorities, they have half assed the electrification of the rail network and then spend money on this when they can't even finish the other job first which carries a lot more people.

Catching the Tram from town to Glenelg has to be one of the more torturous public transport journeys in the world, it's not far but you can fly to melbourne in nearly the same time.

You do understand that less cars and buses on the road is actually a good thing. More trams and trains - they carry more people - it ain’t rocket science.

Maybe, but by way of an example relevant to the Port board I’d rather a bunch of union types get overpaid for the Alberton redevelopment than the Alberton redevelopment not happen at all.

Our Labor government has been atrociously shite, it happens to every government once they've been in so long, you lose your way.

Neither of you swing your vote, why pretend? Schulzenfest even claimed there's no point voting conservative at state level in probably one of the most uninformed posts in this entire thread.

Our renewable future, I'd get into the debate if I thought it was worth it but right here people is the reason our power prices are so high and people like PowerBaz yell at the sky about it blaming everyone but the actual people causing the problem. Guess what happens the next renewable "project" comes online? Everyone in this states power bill goes up, our base load reliability gets basically zero added but the people who built it a swimming in cash from subsidies. We are ****ed, completely ****ed in the next 4 years if Qld gov follows through with following us down this path and then AGL in NSW shuts down the coal power plant to enhance profits. I don't think it matters who is elected in SA if that happens there is simply not enough time to fix the issue before it becomes dire because it's too far down the track, and Weatherill wants to go even further * me.

I still think that Labor will get back in on a deal with Xenophon even without their gerrymander.

You do understand that less cars and buses on the road is actually a good thing. More trams and trains - they carry more people - it ain’t rocket science.

If it were true. Why is it better by the way? Especially in a city the size of Adelaide with a rapidly reducing CBD?

At the expense of the rest of the public purse. Well done sir!

Unless you’re the SA Treasurer, I fail to see how money coming out of the public purse to be spent on something that you have no interest in makes your life any more difficult than if the money didn’t come out of the public purse at all.

Now, if you think that $8 million could be better spent elsewhere, you’re perfectly entitled to that opinion, but that would be an entirely different argument to the argument that I’m making.

Depends, in this state you usually end up with things like a walkway to AO which is half the original size which it needed to be because you are throwing the cash to the unions or you could have two brand new hospitals for the price of one.

Unless you’re the SA Treasurer, I fail to see how money coming out of the public purse to be spent on something that you have no interest in makes your life any more difficult than if the money didn’t come out of the public purse at all.

Now, if you think that $8 million could be better spent elsewhere, you’re perfectly entitled to that opinion, but that would be an entirely different argument to the argument that I’m making.

Well when your state is flat broke under your leadership and you can't afford to pay emergency services within the budget then you'll probably be a bit more tight about where 8mil is going, especially when after the last election you quadrupled the emergency services levy coz you suck at being treasurer.

It's all over red Eva...

20c93b40314bbf2764e7d3f806e3aa5e

Eva the Democracy Sausage Dog picks SA's next Premier - Liberal Steven Marshall in Rundle Mall. Picture: Calum Robertson

Our Labor government has been atrociously shite, it happens to every government once they've been in so long, you lose your way.

Neither of you swing your vote, why pretend? Schulzenfest even claimed there's no point voting conservative at state level in probably one of the most uninformed posts in this entire thread.

Our renewable future, I'd get into the debate if I thought it was worth it but right here people is the reason our power prices are so high and people like PowerBaz yell at the sky about it blaming everyone but the actual people causing the problem. Guess what happens the next renewable "project" comes online? Everyone in this states power bill goes up, our base load reliability gets basically zero added but the people who built it a swimming in cash from subsidies. We are ******, completely ****** in the next 4 years if Qld gov follows through with following us down this path and then AGL in NSW shuts down the coal power plant to enhance profits. I don't think it matters who is elected in SA if that happens there is simply not enough time to fix the issue before it becomes dire because it's too far down the track, and Weatherill wants to go even further **** me.

I still think that Labor will get back in on a deal with Xenophon even without their gerrymander.

So burning coal and low power prices is the answer in the long term, think a few generations ahead. I have swung my vote before so your wrong on that one. Governments get voted out not in, that's what will happen tomoz.

So next time we play the Crows we should deserve to win because we haven't won against them for premiership points in a while, well that's not how it works. The Libs and Marshall are just banking on 'it's time for a change' mentality that's all, they have sweet * all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not advocating for them but your delusion on renwables says it all so why hide it. I am thinking in a few gens they would like to have people in SA who can turn the lights on at night, maybe even heat their houses.

Burning coal is not the long term answer but that doesn’t mean we should be decommissioning power plants before their use by date, especially if it means sacrificing stability in the power network + security in controlling our own power generation. A few generations ahead hopefully fusion power will be scaled enough to eliminate any reliance on fossil fuels.

The belief that wanting stable power now means we’ll be using coal for the next 100 years is utterly absurd but hey, even the worst case scenario climate models has humans almost exclusively burning coal, which just won’t happen.

In reality we’ve had 16 years of Labor which has given us the most expensive electricity on the planet, a bloated public service, a s**t state economy and a health system that’s rooted. It’s no surprise Jay has kept the new RAH safety report under wraps because it’ll likely be a disaster for Labor. This is why the election is unlosable for the Liberals but they are every chance to lose it because their shtick is to win by default.

There absolutely has to be change in this state and we’ll probably get a bit of that if Xenophon holds the balance of power. That’s probably a better outcome than an outright Liberal or Labor victory imo.

Labor has been slipping pretty steadily in the betting throughout the day (still anyones games tho) so I'm guessing the "signs" are good for the Liberals

Can only assume exit polls? It's hard for me to imagine anyone else but Labor winning, I don't know of any who lives in anything but a hard labor seat so it's hard to put the thought in my head there are actually seats out there that go the other way or could.

There absolutely has to be change in this state and we’ll probably get a bit of that if Xenophon holds the balance of power. That’s probably a better outcome than an outright Liberal or Labor victory imo.

Xenophon's like Turnbull where his past results and behaviour is simply ignored like he'll suddenly do better next time. I think it will be a disaster if he gets in because he'll go minor partner to Labor and pull them extreme left with how he has predominately voted in Canberra. He also has a really poor history of keeping his party together once he gets a couple of seats anywhere so I wouldn't expect that to change either and end up with a bunch of independents or one or two joining either of the majors. That and he has been completely ineffectual in whatever it is he tries to do except make more regulations and laws to invade into our lives a little more.

Seriously though. How absolutely ******* s**t house can a government be and still win an election? I have Zero confidence in Liberal having anything, literally anything better but how the * can you endorse some of the absolute s**t that has happened under Labor. As a nurse working within the health care system the transforming health bullshit has set our state back decades and anyone involved in it should be made to see just how bad it is. Wait in a public ED for 24 hours not in their private hospital the pricks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back