Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the right thread to talk about the apparently imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine? Without knowing too much about the politics involved I am certainly worried about the prospect of war breaking out in Europe, especially with the UK scrambling to arm the Ukrainians with anti-tank missiles. Could this become a major global conflict?

Is this the right thread to talk about the apparently imminent Russian invasion of Ukraine? Without knowing too much about the politics involved I am certainly worried about the prospect of war breaking out in Europe, especially with the UK scrambling to arm the Ukrainians with anti-tank missiles. Could this become a major global conflict?
At the moment the US are threatening heavy sanctions if they invade but it certainly could flare up that's for sure.

That and the vacuum in Afghanistan and the war games there are massive news. The other one is of course Taiwan, which should be all over the news. The next 12-24 months are going to be very interesting/scary on the international stage. China has just announced that they believe their military is now the most powerful in the world..

The 'West' is probably as weak as it has been in a long time, and hasn't shown much political will. That with inflation, massive supply issues and other Covid issues running rampant there is now potentially a 'perfect storm' that could provide a once in a decade or so opportunity for nations interested in expanding their national agendas. It will be interesting to see where the international community draws the line as far as intervention is concerned.

War in Ukraine very unlikely at present. Putin is one of the richest people in the world and a lot of that wealth will be spread around the globe.

All the world economies are far too intertwined. War is bad for business.

I admit that things are a bit shaky at the moment. Putin and Xi are very ambitious and cunning. The West is divided and crumbling with no leadership whatsoever. But the US is way too powerful still, even with a demented old fools like Pelosi and Biden in charge, for China and Russia to risk a military conflict right now.

China, in particular, is patient. They are playing the Long Game while Western politicians and media cannot think past the current news cycle or latest poll.

If low ratings for politicians and the boost that usually comes from a war/conflict kicking off are both real things, which they are, then we should expect something to happen.

But I think there needs to be an attack on US soil to motivate the very war weary US people into supporting another conflict overseas.

The Borderlands has always been of great interest to Russia.

The Borderlands has always been of great interest to Russia.
Putin has highlighted recently (in relation to Kazakhstan) that any country that formerly formed part of the USSR is regarded as part of Russia's sphere of influence. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/08/world/europe/kazakhstan-russia.html
"Mr. Putin is intent on maintaining a sphere of Russian influence that includes former Soviet republics like Kazakhstan."
So Ukraine wishing to draw closer to the EU and contemplate association with NATO goes against Putin's intentions.
Some would say NATO missiles in Ukraine is similar to the former USSR attempting to install nuclear missiles in Cuba back in JFK's time - the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Putin has highlighted recently (in relation to Kazakhstan) that any country that formerly formed part of the USSR is regarded as part of Russia's sphere of influence. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/08/world/europe/kazakhstan-russia.html
"Mr. Putin is intent on maintaining a sphere of Russian influence that includes former Soviet republics like Kazakhstan."
So Ukraine wishing to draw closer to the EU and contemplate association with NATO goes against Putin's intentions.
Some would say NATO missiles in Ukraine is similar to the former USSR attempting to install nuclear missiles in Cuba back in JFK's time - the Cuban Missile Crisis.
The Russians have previously mentioned how unhappy they were with NATO missiles in Ukraine, around about 2016 from memory.

War in Ukraine very unlikely at present. Putin is one of the richest people in the world and a lot of that wealth will be spread around the globe.

All the world economies are far too intertwined. War is bad for business.

I admit that things are a bit shaky at the moment. Putin and Xi are very ambitious and cunning. The West is divided and crumbling with no leadership whatsoever. But the US is way too powerful still, even with a demented old fools like Pelosi and Biden in charge, for China and Russia to risk a military conflict right now.

China, in particular, is patient. They are playing the Long Game while Western politicians and media cannot think past the current news cycle or latest poll.
As you say, Putin and Xi are two of the richest men in the world and that wealth is spread globally and is at risk of decreasing in any major conflict.

Russia and China will happily manipulate through fear of possible action abroad to get what they want, but both have too much to lose for them to actually initiate any major conflict. Otherwise Taiwan and valuable ex-USSR states would already be back in the fold.

I,'ve been worried about my 14 year old grandson finding a part time job while studying.
Scomo has solved the problem , the grandson who I wouldnt trust operating a vaccum cleaner can get a job whizzing around on a forklift.
Well done Scomo, you're an imbecile.

I,'ve been worried about my 14 year old grandson finding a part time job while studying.
Scomo has solved the problem , the grandson who I wouldnt trust operating a vaccum cleaner can get a job whizzing around on a forklift.
There’s about 15 000 forklift vacancies in Australia. Surely there are 14 and 15 year olds mature enough to be taught safely?

Don't let the truth get in the way of your point of view. The proposal was for 16 year olds not 14 year olds and was from The Transport Industry for the PM to put to the National Cabinet which he did and was collectively decided to not take up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't let the truth get in the way of your point of view. The proposal was for 16 year olds not 14 year olds and was from The Transport Industry for the PM to put to the National Cabinet which he did and was collectively decided to not take up.

Stupid idea from an imbecile to suggest children drive forklifts and was rightly consigned to the rubbish bin by the premiers.
If it was suggested to Morrison he should have realised it was dumb idea and shelved it Just shows the intelligence of the man to even think that was a good idea.

He talked it up. Then got shot down, because it’s a stupid idea, and a back door way to reduce wages and increase danger.
But you can accept Morrison tells the truth, despite all evidence to the contrary, if you want.

Improving supply of workers might reduce wages but I doubt it, people driving a forklift would be on an award rate. It's not in anyone's interest to make workplaces more dangerous.

Not every teenager is incapable of competently working with machinery and not every 18 year old plus is capable of competently working with machinery, but rules have to be kept simple so that mindless pen pushers can tick off the boxes without needing to judge each case on it's merits.

Improving supply of workers might reduce wages but I doubt it, people driving a forklift would be on an award rate. It's not in anyone's interest to make workplaces more dangerous.

Not every teenager is incapable of competently working with machinery and not every 18 year old plus is capable of competently working with machinery, but rules have to be kept simple so that mindless pen pushers can tick off the boxes without needing to judge each case on it's merits.
You can guarantee that if the idea was floated by industry, there would have been a method in their madness to exploit the issue.
But how stupid was he to take it to the NC.

You can guarantee that if the idea was floated by industry, there would have been a method in their madness to exploit the issue.
But how stupid was he to take it to the NC.
I think the licensing is state controlled and that's the best and fastest way of making national policy movements.

Stupid idea from an imbecile to suggest children drive forklifts and was rightly consigned to the rubbish bin by the premiers.
If it was suggested to Morrison he should have realised it was dumb idea and shelved it Just shows the intelligence of the man to even think that was a good idea.
You and I don't agree much but this is right on the money. Stupid idea and an embarrassment from a prime minister

I was tractor driving at 14 doing 8 hour shifts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back