Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd advise against declaring a result based on research from a sample size of 1. Agree that Biden and Harris aren't the strongest of opponents (a lot of people are having to choose best of a bad bunch just like we have done a lot of in Australia lately) but that probably explains why it is a closer race than it would be otherwise.

If the Trump campaign team weren't panicking/scrambling I'd be more inclined to doubt the polls as being accurate. Fox News (and other rightwing media) has even started to hedge its bets a little bit more in the past few weeks. With 9 out of 10 voters declaring they won't change their vote from now onward it seems the result is already locked in. More damning info against Trump will be released within a week or two imo to sway that remaining ~10%. Biden is so boring there are no fresh strategies that can be used against him - we've had the same talking points from Trump against Biden regurgitated for almost a year - can't see it suddenly start resonating with an already fed up electorate.

The numbers have been swinging consistently against Trump across all reputable polls. That's not what we saw in 2016. People are confusing what the poll data showed back then with what the analysts said. This time around both the data and the analysis are showing the margin of error (resulting in a Trump win) as incredibly unlikely. Could still happen but a bunch of black voters supporting Trump alone isn't going to make up the gap he is trailing by. The electoral college system will help him again but the data suggests it is more likely it avoids an absolute shellacking over leading to a 2nd term.
I'll add a couple more votes for Trump, with my sister and BIL. I was a full on Trump deranger from listening to the media and polls in 2016. I toured California a year after the election from San Diego to San Francisco making the odd comment denouncing Trump along the way and asked one person if they were embarrassed to have him for President. They looked shocked and warned me not to say that too loud as there were a lot of Trump supporters around (yes even in California).

Catching up with BIL and sister who've worked around the world in US Embassies, I found out they both voted for him in 2016 because they hated Hillary. They were in a remote US Embassy relatively close to Benghazi in 2012 and knew from following in real time how Madam Secretary had abandoned the Ambassador and other US government workers. Troops and navy planes standing by off the coast were stood down when they could have rescued and stopped the attacks which killed 4 Americans, including a few private US security personnel who did mount a rescue.

This started me researching into Hillary, listening to the evidence presented two years ago to the senate detailing how the Clinton Foundation owes between 600 million and 2.4 billion in taxes, but more importantly being able to take an objective rather than a deranged view of Trump from finding my own information.

I wouldn't trust Fox news or any of the others, or any polls. Trump has been getting thousands at rally's and "peaceful protests" while Biden gets maybe 10, which show his support in comparison to Biden far more than biased polls.

Usually my family have absentee votes as they've lived in many different countries. They are the same as absentee votes here where you apply for them and they are sent out, you vote and sign and this is checked off against your name, so you can't then turn up and vote in person. However the mail votes that are coming out in their millions being sent to at random to anyone (including dead people and pets) on out of date rolls, without being requested in a recipe for disaster.

I'm curious about what is supposed to be coming out about Trump when information about Benghazi as a entry point for weapons to ISIS paid for by the Obama/Biden administration and Biden having responsibility for the order to shoot down the helicopter carrying most of seal team six not long after Bin Laden was supposedly killed is coming out now?

I’m surprised people are believing the polls again.

As in 2016 Trump has all the energy and enthusiasm on his side. When Trump comes to town thousands line the streets but when Biden arrives there’s no one to be seen. Every weekend there’s massive boaters or bikers for Trump rallies or car rallies for as far as the eye can see. From what I see it’s 2016 all over again, except even bigger this time.

And I agree, I wouldn’t be surprised if he flips California, or comes close to it.

I'll add a couple more votes for Trump, with my sister and BIL. I was a full on Trump deranger from listening to the media and polls in 2016. I toured California a year after the election from San Diego to San Francisco making the odd comment denouncing Trump along the way and asked one person if they were embarrassed to have him for President. They looked shocked and warned me not to say that too loud as there were a lot of Trump supporters around (yes even in California).

Catching up with BIL and sister who've worked around the world in US Embassies, I found out they both voted for him in 2016 because they hated Hillary. They were in a remote US Embassy relatively close to Benghazi in 2012 and knew from following in real time how Madam Secretary had abandoned the Ambassador and other US government workers. Troops and navy planes standing by off the coast were stood down when they could have rescued and stopped the attacks which killed 4 Americans, including a few private US security personnel who did mount a rescue.

This started me researching into Hillary, listening to the evidence presented two years ago to the senate detailing how the Clinton Foundation owes between 600 million and 2.4 billion in taxes, but more importantly being able to take an objective rather than a deranged view of Trump from finding my own information.

I wouldn't trust Fox news or any of the others, or any polls. Trump has been getting thousands at rally's and "peaceful protests" while Biden gets maybe 10, which show his support in comparison to Biden far more than biased polls.

Usually my family have absentee votes as they've lived in many different countries. They are the same as absentee votes here where you apply for them and they are sent out, you vote and sign and this is checked off against your name, so you can't then turn up and vote in person. However the mail votes that are coming out in their millions being sent to at random to anyone (including dead people and pets) on out of date rolls, without being requested in a recipe for disaster.

I'm curious about what is supposed to be coming out about Trump when information about Benghazi as a entry point for weapons to ISIS paid for by the Obama/Biden administration and Biden having responsibility for the order to shoot down the helicopter carrying most of seal team six not long after Bin Laden was supposedly killed is coming out now?
www.snopes.com/fact-check/joe-biden-seal-team-6-reveal/

I’m surprised people are believing the polls again.

As in 2016 Trump has all the energy and enthusiasm on his side. When Trump comes to town thousands line the streets but when Biden arrives there’s no one to be seen. Every weekend there’s massive boaters or bikers for Trump rallies or car rallies for as far as the eye can see. From what I see it’s 2016 all over again, except even bigger this time.

And I agree, I wouldn’t be surprised if he flips California, or comes close to it.
The polls weren't too far off. Hillary won the popular vote as in got more votes!

16 points up to biden means he'll dominate the popular vote and probably have the same winning margin Obama had over Romney in the electoral.

Wasn't talking about that. However I'd listen to interviews of the family members that got worried calls from their sons' in seal team 6 that confirm Biden did out them.

But Snopes???

Having no formal background or experience in investigative research, Snopes.com is run by a married couple from California who assert their beliefs on controversial issues while pretending to “get to the bottom” of various issues in order to share facts with the public. There is no team of lawyers or public records being scoured here and there are no qualified researchers doing work behind the scenes.

David and Barbara Mikkelson, husband and wife from San Fernando Valley, started their “neutral” blog of shoddy, liberal-bent research over a decade ago, posting time and time again their “final factual words” that aren’t really facts at all. Snopes repeatedly explains away criticisms towards liberal politicians and other leftist public figures while character assassinating conservatives. It’s obvious now that Snopes.com is particularly agenda motivated and biased to help Obama and Hillary Clinton, just as dogmatically as the mainstream media, including CNN, MSNBC, the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Politifact, and Forbes.

Ok Civil War may have been dramatic on my part, but I can’t remember a political divide as wide as this where there are emboldened militia already on the streets. You don’t think that if the election is contested the combination of social media and the polar nature of American cable will lead to potential conflict?
I was thinking similarly not so long ago, but now I think it was probably worse in the Vietnam era through to about the mid to late 80's. Kent State, Jacksonville, Ludlow... the list goes on. You had mobs like the Black Panthers and the KKK back then, you have the BLM and similar movements on both sides of the political spectrum now. And, yes... impending civil war was a catch cry back then too. But who has ever heard of the Chicano Moratorium? And Black Panther is the name of a movie superhero.

Most of the turmoil of that era in the USA has been consigned to little-known history now, with only a few things like Kent State and Woodstock being outliers that everyone knows about. The violence in the USA the really got going during the Vietnam era, reached its peak in through the 70's and 80's, and has subsided considerably since then... although you wouldn't know it, going by the media.
Granted, not all of that was political or racial violence, but I'd hazard an educated guess the racially and politically-motivated turmoil is actually less now than it was then.
Property damage as a result of rioting follows similar lines. It's far less now than it was 40 years ago, and back then it was mostly the result of race riots too, although another factor is that "race" is often a focal point disguising deeper issues.

The disappointing thing for me is that the USA hasn't learned anything from it's own history, and is sliding back after a period of relative calm.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biden/Trump, Trump/Biden. Sadly it won’t matter a toss who wins. The world will still continue to go to sh*t.

The funny thing is policy wise their both very similar. Only a 3rd party can rock the boat and bring in Medicare for all.

This election is electing your preffered spokesperson and they both suck.

I really don't understand how conservative americans continue to scream bloody murder about the 4 deaths in Benghazi over eight years ago, while there are 220,000+ of their own dead from COVID... where is the outrage for this ongoing mismanaged tragedy?

I really don't understand how conservative americans continue to scream bloody murder about the 4 deaths in Benghazi over eight years ago, while there are 220,000+ of their own dead from COVID... where is the outrage for this ongoing mismanaged tragedy?
..cause they love the strong man in politics...excuse me, the Superman of Politics.

Haha I can't wait for the biopic in a few years.

Wasn't talking about that. However I'd listen to interviews of the family members that got worried calls from their sons' in seal team 6 that confirm Biden did out them.

But Snopes???

Having no formal background or experience in investigative research, Snopes.com is run by a married couple from California who assert their beliefs on controversial issues while pretending to “get to the bottom” of various issues in order to share facts with the public. There is no team of lawyers or public records being scoured here and there are no qualified researchers doing work behind the scenes.

David and Barbara Mikkelson, husband and wife from San Fernando Valley, started their “neutral” blog of shoddy, liberal-bent research over a decade ago, posting time and time again their “final factual words” that aren’t really facts at all. Snopes repeatedly explains away criticisms towards liberal politicians and other leftist public figures while character assassinating conservatives. It’s obvious now that Snopes.com is particularly agenda motivated and biased to help Obama and Hillary Clinton, just as dogmatically as the mainstream media, including CNN, MSNBC, the Washington Post, the New York Times, the Boston Globe, Politifact, and Forbes.
Try Reuters then.

Please, split more hairs and regurgitate more bullshit.

But Snopes???

Of course these soldiers and families would think that Biden had outed them, if his speech was the first time they heard that team six was mentioned.

But that doesn't change that there was no information contained in his speech that wasn't already publicly available and had been reported in the media.

What the headline should be is that maybe it was poor judgement to repeat this information to a wider audience about a group who prefers to remain anonymous.

To claim that Biden had 'outed them' suggests this information was somehow secret which isn't correct.

I'm not here to change anyone's mind. It's a futile exercise. There is always a large number of people on both sides of politics who won't change their mind no matter what evidence and facts put in front of them. They will discredit any source that provides information contrary to what they "want" to believe whilst latching on to anything that suits their narrative.

You've done it three times above with things I find to be false/misleading but not judging as I've been guilty myself plenty unknowingly repeating false information from a media that prioritises being commercially viable over being accurate these days.

I have close family who loved Tony Abbott despite me having met him years before he was the Lib leader and pleading with them that he really didn't understand basic things you'd expect a future Prime Minister to and said he's a bad idea waiting to happen. Similarly with Rudd, one of my friends was a member in his '07 campaign team and I knew he wasn't the person they were selling but the Labor loving people in my family did not want to hear that. Meanwhile I'd also met both Julie Bishop and Julia Gillard who are both incredibly intelligent people but I am sure I have triggered a heap of people on here just by saying that because for whatever reason, they don't like them, irrespective of how effective they were in government.

Of course Trump is getting thousands to rallies because he has energised his core arguably more than any Presidential candidate in history. Plus his campaign team are paying masses of people to ensure he doesn't ever have a repeat of his two thirds empty stadium disaster. Similarly, he has a small but incredibly loud supporter base online topped up with one of the biggest use of Russian and Indian 'bot' services (for lack of a better descriptor) in history. Meanwhile far greater numbers of people have been protesting BLM on the streets throughout the US daily - not just at one off rallies. They are not pro-Biden but they are anti-Trump. However none of these people will determine the election - they don't make up swinging voter pool - they mostly made their minds up long ago.

Who does change the outcome is the middle who are more often than not just sitting quietly and listening. You aren't going to hear about what a lot of these people think anecdotally but the polls were actually accurate in 2016 and they seem accurate again in 2020. Like I said before though, the analysis of the polls in 2016 was s**t because they didn't respect the margin of error in the data (and its relationship with the electoral college system). That's changed, which is why people won't be writing in a Biden win in permanent ink just yet but the chance of a Trump victory (a now known entity, not just a reality TV celebrity) is considerably smaller than it was in '16. When the Democrats are out raising the Republicans at least 3 to 1 that's a lot of advertising in key battlegrounds where the Dems have a massive advantage in influencing those people just sitting and listening. The financial markets are also now anticipating a comfortable Biden victory - people may disregard it but the significant bit isn't that they expect a Biden win, it's that they don't expect it to be close.

It's not impossible that Trump can still win but the evidence he will likely lose is pretty overwhelming at the moment. So long as the voter turnout isn't low (which is clearly why Trump is so keen to stop people from voting) I struggle to see how he can make up the ground he needs too.

Whatever the outcome I feel for the people in the US because it still looks a tough journey ahead.

There are plenty of conservatives absolutely livid about governors sending covid positive patients into aged care facilities.

There is a reason so many of their deaths are above the life expectancy age. Michigan and New York are just two places this happened which resulted in tens of thousands of extra deaths by literally putting the fox into the hen house of the most vulnerable.

I'm also expecting, with how grubby their system is, to get some interesting headlines in the next two to three weeks designed to de-motivate people from going out to vote.

Again, the risk with a massive lead in the polls and non compulsory voting on a work day, mid week is that plenty just won't bother going.

That's the reason why their politics has gotten so emotive, they have to make people think they are voting for their lives when the reality is that there won't be much difference at all between the two. I do expect the social issues to magically disappear when the crown hits Biden's head and the clouds part for a big ray of healing sunshine that immediately heals the grievances, or at least appears to as they no longer serve a purpose on television. The exact opposite to happen if Trump somehow wins again.

Care factor zero to be honest. The American political scene is an absolute shitfest, and has been for as long as I can remember. Have we forgotten Clinton and Monica? Reagan and the Iran Contra affair? Nixon and Watergate?

I can't believe AUSTRALIANS on a football discussion thread spend so much time arguing about AMERICAN politics. I've seen nothing about Gladys Berejiklian and her relationship with Daryl Maguire. I don't see pages and pages of people arguing about whether Dan Andrew's government caused hundreds of COVID deaths in Victoria. Instead we bicker back and forth about what we see and read in the media about the politics of another country.

Seriously, when did we become so obsessed with all things American?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back