Club Focus Port Adelaide 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Do Dixon and Boak go around again? None of the rest look super important in terms of resigning. Zerk and Soldo you would think gets extended midseason as they just brought them in.

Allir, Jones and Finlayson will all get extensions. Everyone else a waiting game?

Do Port have the money to go after somebody this offseason?

Do Dixon and Boak go around again? None of the rest look super important in terms of resigning. Zerk and Soldo you would think gets extended midseason as they just brought them in.

Allir, Jones and Finlayson will all get extensions. Everyone else a waiting game?

Do Port have the money to go after somebody this offseason?
Mead likely to get 1 too. Will be McKenzie and Boak' last year.

They will need to trade out someone I think because they got 3/4 father/sons and their future 1st will need to be traded for points. It's likely they get permission to trade their future 1st because the draft system will likely change next season.

Jon Ralph reported tonight that Ky Burgoyne (Shaun's son) will debut for Port's SANFL team this weekend and that there's a feeling within the Port circles now that if Ky is good enough then he will absolutely choose to join the Power and they fully intend to draft him through the F/S rule instead of joining Hawthorn. That's adds to the F/S access Port already have to his cousin Rome Burgoyne (Peter's son) this year. So it sounds like Port are going to have a bit of luck at the draft this year.

It also seems Hawthorn aren't going to have much luck at the draft over the next few years. If they miss out on Ky Burgoyne this year and Cooper Hodge elects to join Brisbane in two years from now then that's pretty unlucky for a team that should theoretically be cashing in on the offspring of their premierships heroes from 10-15 years ago. Although it should be pointed out that these players are CHOOSING to not join Hawthorn and that speaks volumes about where they're at right now. At a certain point you have to look yourself in the mirror and question why Hawthorn isn't as appealing now as it once was instead of trying to blame internal issues on external parties.

Jon Ralph reported tonight that Ky Burgoyne (Shaun's son) will debut for Port's SANFL team this weekend and that there's a feeling within the Port circles now that if Ky is good enough then he will absolutely choose to join the Power and they fully intend to draft him through the F/S rule instead of joining Hawthorn. That's adds to the F/S access Port already have to his cousin Rome Burgoyne (Peter's son) this year. So it sounds like Port are going to have a bit of luck at the draft this year.

It also seems Hawthorn aren't going to have much luck at the draft over the next few years. If they miss out on Ky Burgoyne this year and Cooper Hodge elects to join Brisbane in two years from now then that's pretty unlucky for a team that should theoretically be cashing in on the offspring of their premierships heroes from 10-15 years ago. Although it should be pointed out that these players are CHOOSING to not join Hawthorn and that speaks volumes about where they're at right now. At a certain point you have to look yourself in the mirror and question why Hawthorn isn't as appealing now as it once was instead of trying to blame internal issues on external parties.
not sure you an level that cat the Hawks re Ky - the Burgoyne' were both port juniors, both played for port and are part of that set up. Yes Shaun went to the Hawks and was a hero there too, but they are Port boys and its much easier if Ky is already living in Adelaide and Port really are keen..the glove just fits on that one.

Hodge is a different scenario though

If Cooper Hodge joins Brisbane then wow.

not sure you an level that cat the Hawks re Ky - the Burgoyne' were both port juniors, both played for port and are part of that set up. Yes Shaun went to the Hawks and was a hero there too, but they are Port boys and its much easier if Ky is already living in Adelaide and Port really are keen..the glove just fits on that one.

Hodge is a different scenario though
Certainly plenty of Burgoyne & Phillips history at Alberton so Ky has numerous family ties from both sides pulling him towards Port. His old man of course played over 100 AFL games for Port so I think most would say it's fair enough if he wants to play for them. Although I think the biggest factor right now is that he lives in Adelaide and is exposed to Port more than Hawthorn. Smart from Port to give Shaun an administration role post-career because it essentially secures the father-son access as well.

If Cooper Hodge joins Brisbane then wow.
Fairly sure the recent reports are that he's a passionate Lions supporter so don't be surprised if it comes to fruition.

How does Hodge choose Brisbane though? Not under father son anyway.

How could he possibly be part of an academy though, isn’t the whole idea to get players who would otherwise be lost rugby?
What a rort
How do you know he wouldn't be playing rugby without the academy? The Hodge family moved to Brisbane in 2017 so that means Cooper was 9 years old at the time. He attends a rugby school in Brisbane (St Laurence's) and may very well have pursued rugby with his school friends if the academy program didn't exist. Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills both said they would have given up on Aussie rules and pursued the rugby codes with their friends if it hadn't been for the academy and it's obviously possible that Cooper would have also fallen into this boat as well. You can't underestimate how much of a factor peer pressure is when it comes to the sport you choose to play as a kid. Instead of taking the risk of losing more juniors, we have programs that drastically increase the chances of retention for ALL juniors in Queensland and NSW.

That's crazy that he's in an academy. Lucky for Brisbane then.
Is it? Don't we want to retain as much footy talent as we possibly can in Queensland?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know he wouldn't be playing rugby without the academy? The Hodge family moved to Brisbane in 2017 so that means Cooper was 9 years old at the time. He attends a rugby school in Brisbane (St Laurence's) and may very well have pursued rugby with his school friends if the academy program didn't exist. Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills both said they would have given up on Aussie rules and pursued the rugby codes with their friends if it hadn't been for the academy and it's obviously possible that Cooper would have also fallen into this boat as well. You can't underestimate how much of a factor peer pressure is when it comes to the sport you choose to play as a kid. Instead of taking the risk of losing more juniors, we have programs that drastically increase the chances of retention for ALL juniors in Queensland and NSW.

Is it? Don't we want to retain as much footy talent as we possibly can in Queensland?
My Grandson is in year 10 at St Laurence's and it is fairly big on Australian Rules now, the Senior team has won the last 3 Premierships in the AIC schools competition.

To be fair though they have a great sports/athletic program, eg. they are a Manchester City Football School as well.

I'm not sure many people would genuinely believe that Luke Hodge's son would be lost to the game if not for the Northern academy.

My Grandson is in year 10 at St Laurence's and it is fairly big on Australian Rules now, the Senior team has won the last 3 Premierships in the AIC schools competition.

To be fair though they have a great sports/athletic program, eg. they are a Manchester City Football School as well.
That's great to hear. I know St Laurie's has a long history of rugby excellence and I assume they are still pretty strong as a rugby school, despite not competing in the GPS. If it can double as a breeding ground for Brisbane Lions academy talent then that's great, but I would have thought rugby is still very much the dominant sport within the four walls.

I'm not sure many people would genuinely believe that Luke Hodge's son would be lost to the game if not for the Northern academy.
It doesn't matter if you believe it. There are real examples of it occurring like triple premiership Lion Darryl White's son William growing up playing junior Aussie rules in the local Brisbane competition for Coorparoo and electing at age 15 give up footy to pursue a basketball career instead.

Retention of juniors is a real problem in QLD & NSW. Regardless of whether you choose to acknowledge it.

That's great to hear. I know St Laurie's has a long history of rugby excellence and I assume they are still pretty strong as a rugby school, despite not competing in the GPS. If it can double as a breeding ground for Brisbane Lions academy talent then that's great, but I would have thought rugby is still very much the dominant sport within the four walls.

It doesn't matter if you believe it. There are real examples of it occurring like triple premiership Lion Darryl White's son William growing up playing junior Aussie rules in the local Brisbane competition for Coorparoo and electing at age 15 give up footy to pursue a basketball career instead.

Retention of juniors is a real problem in QLD & NSW. Regardless of whether you choose to acknowledge it.
I would think football in Queensland has changed a fair bit in the last 10 years since your example.

You may genuinely believe that Luke Hodge's son was saved by northern academies but not many others would.

I would think football in Queensland has changed a fair bit in the last 10 years since your example.

You may genuinely believe that Luke Hodge's son was saved by northern academies but not many others would.
I can't wait for Sydney teams to tell me they saved Jimmy Bartels kids from rugby

I'm not necessarily advocating that Cooper Hodge was saved by the northern academies. In all likelihood he would have continued to play Aussie rules without the academy, but the AFL clearly feels it's not worth the risk. So I gave you an example of the sport losing a talented junior whose father is considered an AFL legend to show it can happen.

Ultimately, Cooper Hodge still has three options in his draft year - nominate for Hawthorn's F/S access, nominate for Brisbane's F/S access or nominate for the open draft. The onus is on the Hawks to convince him that joining Hawthorn is in his best interests.

FYI the rugby codes still have a stronghold on junior sport in Brisbane. That's going to take more than 10 years to change.

I'm not necessarily advocating that Cooper Hodge was saved by the northern academies. In all likelihood he would have continued to play Aussie rules without the academy, but the AFL clearly feels it's not worth the risk. So I gave you an example of the sport losing a talented junior whose father is considered an AFL legend to show it can happen.

Ultimately, Cooper Hodge still has three options in his draft year - nominate for Hawthorn's F/S access, nominate for Brisbane's F/S access or nominate for the open draft. The onus is on the Hawks to convince him that joining Hawthorn is in his best interests.

FYI the rugby codes still have a stronghold on junior sport in Brisbane. That's going to take more than 10 years to change.
That was my whole point though, it's luck from the quirk of the system but wasn't necessary to retain that particular talent.

On your last point, isn't it established that Queensland now has higher participation in junior Aussie rules football than South Australia now?

Obviously helped by a higher population. But the point remains that there are more junior players in the Queensland pool than the South Aus pool now.

Lol did Heeney or Mills have Fathers tha t played 300+ games of AFL.

It’s a rort

That was my whole point though, it's luck from the quirk of the system but wasn't necessary to retain that particular talent.

On your last point, isn't it established that Queensland now has higher participation in junior Aussie rules football than South Australia now?

Obviously helped by a higher population. But the point remains that there are more junior players in the Queensland pool than the South Aus pool now.
If Cooper Hodge isn't going through the Brisbane Academy, what elite pathway would he follow to get into AFL?

How many non-Academy kids get drafted from Queensland and NSW (outside of the Riverina, which is actually a part of the Vic system)?

Certainly plenty of Burgoyne & Phillips history at Alberton so Ky has numerous family ties from both sides pulling him towards Port. His old man of course played over 100 AFL games for Port so I think most would say it's fair enough if he wants to play for them. Although I think the biggest factor right now is that he lives in Adelaide and is exposed to Port more than Hawthorn. Smart from Port to give Shaun an administration role post-career because it essentially secures the father-son access as well.

Fairly sure the recent reports are that he's a passionate Lions supporter so don't be surprised if it comes to fruition.

Kye Burgoyne didn’t make the under 18 state side, so I think he may struggle to get selected. Probably a rookie at best.

His league debut a few weeks ago is more a symptom of the player restrictions place on the Port SANFL team than anything else.

Kye Burgoyne didn’t make the under 18 state side, so I think he may struggle to get selected. Probably a rookie at best.

His league debut a few weeks ago is more a symptom of the player restrictions place on the Port SANFL team than anything else.
Still think Port will find a way to get him on their list. A bit like his cousin Trent Bugoyne who never ended up making it but there were flow on benefits that came/are coming in the form of Jase and Rome. Plus, there's something special about drafting cousins who both have fathers that played in the club's first AFL premiership exactly 20 years ago.

Ky may not be the best Burgoyne, but you would hate to lose the opportunity to draft Percy if he ends up being a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back