Port - Norwood rivalry (and tragedy)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's like being Muslim and going to church.

Does anyone know of any Sturt/Norwood/Glenelg fans who follow the Power?
Yep, Sturt and Power supporter here. The truth is I could never support a club created in the fashion in which Adelaide was, it's not that hard to really to imagine any Sturt, Norwood or Glenelg fan supporting Port in the AFL as due to the intense rivalry between the sides a great deal of respect of also borne from this rivalry.

Yep, Sturt and Power supporter here. The truth is I could never support a club created in the fashion in which Adelaide was, it's not that hard to really to imagine any Sturt, Norwood or Glenelg fan supporting Port in the AFL as due to the intense rivalry between the sides a great deal of respect of also borne from this rivalry.

Fair enough. I had the same feeling about the Crows myself at the time.

Thanks for posting.

Does the rivalry still burn deep or has it reduced since Ports entry to the AFL?
It was still around until the Magpies merged with the Power and then became the Port reserves a few years ago.

The op is a great video, but reality is it is just marketing what once was a rivalry between two different sides of town.

It is a shame Norwood aren't in the AFL. If they were the 3rd SA team they'd draw as many to games at Adelaide Oval as Bulldogs, North Melb and Melbourne do in Victoria and with a far more decorated history. They are also located on the other side of town to Port and the Crows - albeit the Crows represent everyone else besides Port.

It was still around until the Magpies merged with the Power and then became the Port reserves a few years ago.

The op is a great video, but reality is it is just marketing what once was a rivalry between two different sides of town.

I think the rivalry is still around. Obviously it's not as heated now but you still get some cracking games between the two.

It is a shame Norwood aren't in the AFL. If they were the 3rd SA team they'd draw as many to games at Adelaide Oval as Bulldogs, North Melb and Melbourne do in Victoria and with a far more decorated history. They are also located on the other side of town to Port and the Crows - albeit the Crows represent everyone else besides Port.

Just on this, they made 40k to a state league GF in a ground that holds just over 50k not long ago against us when the Maggies became the reserves. Any side with that level of support should be in the AFL and I've said this so many times. Should've followed us when we tried pushing for the AFL instead of sticking with the SANFL.

The AFL doesn't need another small, perpetually broke club hemmed in by larger ones. One Victoria is enough.

From my experience this is how I feel the breakdown of the SANFL support goes in order of most popular AFL following:

Centrals > Power/Crows
Port > Power/Collingwood
Glenelg > Crows/Carlton
North > Crows/Power
South > Crows/Power
Sturt > Crows/Carlton
West > Crows/Power
WWT > Crows/Power
Norwood > Crows

The AFL doesn't need another small, perpetually broke club hemmed in by larger ones. One Victoria is enough.

It's fairly obvious you know s**t about Norwood. Please stop posting until you do.

From my experience this is how I feel the breakdown of the SANFL support goes in order of most popular AFL following:

Centrals > Power/Crows
Port > Power/Collingwood
Glenelg > Crows/Carlton
North > Crows/Power
South > Crows/Power
Sturt > Crows/Carlton
West > Crows/Power
WWT > Crows/Power
Norwood > Crows

Surely we're even with the Crows for Westies and WWT? I'd also wager we're above Adelaide with South supporters because for some reason we have a massive following down there (beats supporting the Panthers I suppose). A lot of older Norwood fans are also fans of the Demons instead of the Crows due to the colours and the Demon's success in the 50's and 60's.

It's fairly obvious you know s**t about Norwood. Please stop posting until you do.

I'm not disputing anything about their size in the old days. But the Crows are 27 years old and Port Adelaide have been in the AFL since 1997. Who in Adelaide is screaming out for a third AFL club to represent them?

The smallest VIC clubs aren't the benchmark for new entrants.

Question for the Port fans.
Do all magpies fans follow Power and vice versa?
Os it considered to be sort of one and the same? Or are there fans who only follow one not the other?
I'm imagining there were Port magpies fans who embraced the Crows when they joined in 1991? Or maybe not?
Genuinely interested.

From a Norwood supporters' perspective I had season tickets to the Crows first 3 years, purely to watch some live AFL and also was a huge fan of Rodney Maynard and other players who I'd watched in the SANFL. I was foremost a Carlton and Norwood supporter though. I still have a soft spot for Crows. I also like some of the Power players too and did cheer for their GF win without feeling too dirty. It's a bit odd. It's also very strange to see Keith Thomas in Power colours as I loved him as a Norwood player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see (mostly crows still) people still like to come up with alternative historical ideas on Port in the afl. Still makes me laugh.

When I want a good laugh I go to the Port board for the most delusional circle jerk drivel ever written on the internet. I've seen 9/11 conspiracy groups with more logic than what's written on the Port board.

I'll say this though, excellent work to maintain your sooking for 25 odd years. World champs at sooking twenty five years straight. Nice achievement.

I'm not disputing anything about their size in the old days. But the Crows are 27 years old and Port Adelaide have been in the AFL since 1997. Who in Adelaide is screaming out for a third AFL club to represent them?

The smallest VIC clubs aren't the benchmark for new entrants.

Alrighty then, my snarky comment is taken back. No one is screaming out for Norwood to be in the AFL so in the end it's merely a hypothetical discussion but they'd have the numbers to succeed and IMO make more sense than WA3 (seriously the logistics behind WA3 make no sense whatsoever).

Alrighty then, my snarky comment is taken back. No one is screaming out for Norwood to be in the AFL so in the end it's merely a hypothetical discussion but they'd have the numbers to succeed and IMO make more sense than WA3 (seriously the logistics behind WA3 make no sense whatsoever).
Good point re the logistics of a WA3 club.

Norwood as new club entering as its own entity, or a merge of sorts along the lines of Brisbane/Fitzroy? I am struggling to see how the competition could grow the number of clubs again. Any thoughts on that?

Norwood as new club entering as its own entity, or a merge of sorts along the lines of Brisbane/Fitzroy? I am struggling to see how the competition could grow the number of clubs again. Any thoughts on that?

If I had my own way, they'd be a new entity (different colour to blue though). I don't think Norwood would want to be strapped with dead weight from Melbourne if they ever came in.

I personally think the academies long term will grow fruit and get more kids playing the game and with the NRL and RU both in a pile of s**t right now, it's a perfect time to capitalise on that. SA and WA need to fix their junior pathways though if we want talent from everywhere to expand the pool for potential draftees. I see the league being able to sustain 20-22 clubs max (probably 20) thinking about all the factors going into that. The expansion era of the 90's IMO will always be the biggest missed opportunity for the AFL though. We could've had a much more even comp then what we have now.

If I had my own way, they'd be a new entity (different colour to blue though). I don't think Norwood would want to be strapped with dead weight from Melbourne if they ever came in.

I personally think the academies long term will grow fruit and get more kids playing the game and with the NRL and RU both in a pile of s**t right now, it's a perfect time to capitalise on that. SA and WA need to fix their junior pathways though if we want talent from everywhere to expand the pool for potential draftees. I see the league being able to sustain 20-22 clubs max (probably 20) thinking about all the factors going into that. The expansion era of the 90's IMO will always be the biggest missed opportunity for the AFL though. We could've had a much more even comp then what we have now.
Fair call on a fresh start. Agree you probably don't want or need the burden of a struggling Melbourne club.

Academies in NSW and QLD are starting to bear fruit, which is a great result. Interestingly I was listening to Paul Roos 3-4 weeks ago and he was talking about Sydney. He mentioned that Sydney, when it became clear the AFL were going to remove the benefits relating to COLA, got together to plan the next part of their journey. Strategically chose to negotiate and faze out the COLA, while immediately setting up their academy and pouring every spare cent the club had into it. Good vision from the key stakeholders there.

SA and WA seem to be falling behind in either identifying or developing younger players that will be ready to go onto an AFL list. I have recently been surprised that between the 2 states we often only have 4-5 players that expect to be drafted in the top 25. Purely by population comparisons I would expect at least 7-8.

In what sort of time frame do you think 20 clubs would be sustainable?

When I want a good laugh I go to the Port board for the most delusional circle jerk drivel ever written on the internet. I've seen 9/11 conspiracy groups with more logic than what's written on the Port board.

I'll say this though, excellent work to maintain your sooking for 25 odd years. World champs at sooking twenty five years straight. Nice achievement.
Adelaide Crows - World champions of wishing they had history since 1990.

Fair call on a fresh start. Agree you probably don't want or need the burden of a struggling Melbourne club.

Academies in NSW and QLD are starting to bear fruit, which is a great result. Interestingly I was listening to Paul Roos 3-4 weeks ago and he was talking about Sydney. He mentioned that Sydney, when it became clear the AFL were going to remove the benefits relating to COLA, got together to plan the next part of their journey. Strategically chose to negotiate and faze out the COLA, while immediately setting up their academy and pouring every spare cent the club had into it. Good vision from the key stakeholders there.

SA and WA seem to be falling behind in either identifying or developing younger players that will be ready to go onto an AFL list. I have recently been surprised that between the 2 states we often only have 4-5 players that expect to be drafted in the top 25. Purely by population comparisons I would expect at least 7-8.

In what sort of time frame do you think 20 clubs would be sustainable?

Adelaide Crows - World champions of wishing they had history since 1990.
sa and wa clubs spend a lot less on under 18's than tac so less get drafted. i think this is why we seems to have more success than most on the rookie list as the Vic clubs see them as less developed but a few end up as good players

sa and wa clubs spend a lot less on under 18's than tac so less get drafted. i think this is why we seems to have more success than most on the rookie list as the Vic clubs see them as less developed but a few end up as good players
Was this meant to quote me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back