Port THIS week ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Port next week

You're really trying hard to cling onto the legitimacy of this post-season trip for Victorian teams.

You're really trying hard to still claim your state league premierships in a national comptetion under the veil of "the VFL was far superior". Total wank.

2 and counting.....that's right Brisbane and WCE are ahead of you!

You're really trying hard to still claim your state league premierships in a national comptetion under the veil of "the VFL was far superior". Total wank.

2 and counting.....that's right Brisbane and WCE are ahead of you!

Alright mate, remind me which year your backwater league became the AFL? :rolleyes:

Alright mate, remind me which year your backwater league became the AFL? :rolleyes:

Thats right, the VFL slowly 'became' the AFL as the vic clubs got bigger and richer (and thus buying the best from interstate) and the comp started expanding. But when your mob won the majority of your premierships (I'd say anything pre-1970 at the very least) the VFL was nothing more than a state league, just like the SANFL.

That's all I'm saying people, that's all I'm saying!

You know it makes sense.:thumbsu:

Port by 19.

P.S. And by the way my 'backwater club' that came from that 'backwater league' has won 11 out of the last 12 games against you lot. What does that make you guys?:D

Port are going so well they have to cover most of the seating at AAMI for their home games with massive jumper banners drapped across the seating to disguise their pittiful home crowds...
I've noticed that, too.

How bloody pathetic.

When do people expect the premierships to be counted from?

1982? 1986? 1987? 1991? 1995? 1997? 2011? 2012?

The league was legally named the 'AFL' in 1990. I'd just say that we make an executive decision and just go with that. It seems fitting because at that stage the league had gotten to a stage where WA, QLD, NSW and SA were also represented.

It certainly shouldn't be 1897!

When do people expect the premierships to be counted from?

1982? 1986? 1987? 1991? 1995? 1997? 2011? 2012?

1997 when the Port Adelaide Power played their first season of course! As far as I'm aware the SANFL voted against the Port Adelaide Magpies and the Port Adelaide Power being the same club? Am I wrong? :confused:

1997 when the Port Adelaide Power played their first season of course! As far as I'm aware the SANFL voted against the Port Adelaide Magpies and the Port Adelaide Power being the same club? Am I wrong? :confused:

Not quite. When Port moved to the AFL the SANFL wanted to keep a "Port Adelaide presence" in the league because it made money. Thus the "new Port Magpies" were born in 1997, won two flags (98 and 99) and then fell to bottom of the table and now have no money.

Port Adelaide tried to rescue the new Magpies by proposing a merger but the other SANFL clubs voted it down because they like being at the top and just hate anything Port Adelaide in general.

Port by 19.

The league was legally named the 'AFL' in 1990. I'd just say that we make an executive decision and just go with that. It seems fitting because at that stage the league had gotten to a stage where WA, QLD, NSW and SA were also represented.

It certainly isn't 1897!
That's one POV. I don't think the addition of sides who sat in the lower half of the ladder for 5 years immediately lessened the value of the 88 or 89 flag.
What if they add a NT and Tas team in 2020??? Will all the flags until then be somehow lessened???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to judge exactly who was better at any particular point in history.

Not really.

Which league did everyone join?

There's your answer.

1990 had no SA representation.

And what was the difference between the 1990 and 1989 premierships?

And yet somehow Port managed to win the Club Championship of Australia title four times (record) against VFL Premiership teams. Even Norwood, West Adelaide and North Adelaide won the title over VFL premiership teams! If the SANFL "has never been any where near" the strength of the VFL how on earth did this happen?!

It burns doesn't it?!:D

True the SANFL was quite close to the VFL back pre the 60's but after then the strength and population of Victoria started to make it a stronger comp. I think Victorians would still be surprised at how close the leagues were in the 60's-70's, the late 70's- early 80's was when the real huge seperation started to come. The last game I recall between the 2 premiers of the SANFL & VFL was Port V Geelong in 88 or 89 where Geelong won by 70 points I believe.

mate, you can bang on & on & on as much as you like, but the executive decision has already been made. Not sure why that's so difficult to grasp

Remove this Banner Ad

Back