Port v St Kilda review

Remove this Banner Ad

A strong victory but nothing more really.

Both teams missing a fair chunk out of their preferred lineup and the conditions suited the taller Port Adelaide side.

The Beardman count was at 1 today. Was nearly missed too. After Schofield kicked a goal in the 1st quarter after the ad break he was walking along the boundary and there he is in the background - Beardman!!!!

Player Reviews:

Brogan - A top game by Brogs. Played the defensive ruckmen role perfectly taking a number of marks in defensive and setting up a lot of the play. Also had 23 hitouts.

P Burgoyne - Yet another impressive performance by Peter. He really has lifted a gear this year. Does anyone else think he would come under consideration for All Australian this year if his form continues? 27 disposals and 2 goals, set up a couple of others and was one of our best.

S Burgoyne - Killed Milne. Gath him a bath. Milne got a lot of touches in the last quarter that will inflate his figures...but he was hardly sighted today. Shaun ran off him a lot and setup a large number of our attacks from defence.

Carr - Started fantastically, fell away a bit, and then a strong last quarter. High in our best.

Cassisi - Hardly noticed he was on really. Got a few touches.

Cochrane - a great attacking game from the Roach. Did a lot of good things today.

Che - Started ok...then went off with another injury??

C Cornes - Kicked 2 goals and played ok...but his opponent killed him i thought. Schwarze had a lot of the ball and beat Cornes in a lot of contests.

K Cornes - Id love to see Kane in a more attacking style of play a lot more often instead of in a run with role. Came off the bench and played a solid game of football.

Hardwick - the Hardwick of old. Great game.

Kingsley - Didnt even realise he was playing! I suppose thats probably a good thing.

Lade - Another strong performance by Lazer. Good in the ruck and around the ground.

Montgomery - AA winning form by Monty there. Marked everything that came his way today. Our BOG

Paxman - Packo gave Riewoldt a bath. Like Milne...Riewoldts figures were inflated by getting a bit of it when the match was over. Packo also kicked a top 50m goal in the last quarter!

Pickett - Another good showing by Byron. Kicked 3, setup another, and did what weve become expected of him.

Poulton - Did some good things out of defence i thoguht. Attacked the ball with vigour and setup a few plays.

Salopek - Got a bit of the ball but wasnt as impressive as last week. Kicked a goal from a 50m.

Schofield - His first half was excellent. Dunno what happened to him in the second half.

Stevens - Another strong performance. His disposal was a bit poor at times.

Tredrea - I thought he won the battle with Gehrig. He kicked 2, and helped setup a number of others and did a lot of tough work.

Wakelin - Played well on the debutant.

Wanganeen - the most inconspicuous 23 possesion game hes had i reckon. I thought he only had about 12-15. I guess hes allowed one average game!

Macca19 POTY votes:
10 - Montgomery
9 - Brogan, P Burgoyne, Carr
8 - S Burgoyne, Cochrane, Paxman
7 - Hardwick, Pickett, Stevens, Tredrea
6 - K Cornes, Lade, Wakelin
5 - Schofield, Wanganeen
4 - C Cornes, Poulton
3 - Kingsley
2 - Salopek
1 - Cassisi, Che

Another triumph, Macca. :p

I had the Beardman count at 2.

I was thinking about Burgoyne of the Peter variety making the All Australian team today, actually. That play where Tredders wrestled the ball off some bloke, handballed it off to PB, who streamed forward and belted it inside 50, resulting in a goal to Pickett? (****ing terrible memory, but anyway).

Not having brain freezes can only count in his favour, IMO. It's one of those great "boy comes good" tales. He'd have to shake Brad Johnson, Nathan Brown or those other Western Bulldogs that always make the team despite their team being a piece of ****, but I digress.

The effort by Cassisi to spoil in the 4th when the game was over was what we like to see... hopefully he gets further chances.

Originally posted by Macca19

The Beardman count was at 1 today. Was nearly missed too. After Schofield kicked a goal in the 1st quarter after the ad break he was walking along the boundary and there he is in the background - Beardman!!!!

Check Choco's post game interview, guess who's in the background!

Originally posted by Guey_34
I was thinking about Burgoyne of the Peter variety making the All Australian team today, actually. That play where Tredders wrestled the ball off some bloke, handballed it off to PB, who streamed forward and belted it inside 50, resulting in a goal to Pickett? (****ing terrible memory, but anyway).

C.Cornes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back