AFLW St Kilda vs Port Adelaide - Round 3 @ Moorabbin

Remove this Banner Ad

I was watching and we got 2 goals down playing poorly and i turned it off as i wasn't going to watch another Port loss this week end.

Turned the TV on to see what the damage was, but the next game was 5 minutes into it, so I go to AFLW site and see we won.

Enjoyed watching these 3 highlights.

A Ewings long bomb goal and then one from the boundary line.

And Erin finally kicks a goal for Port after about 8 or 10 points into her 2nd season. Kicked the winning goal in the end.

Few observations:

• Ashleigh Saint is a very good player and improves our forward line so much.
  • Matilda Scholz is an absolute gun. Sky is the limit for her.
  • Hannah Ewings has struggled to re-capture her form from last year but today was a step in the right direction, and most players would have struggled playing against Adelaide & Brisbane first up anyway.
  • Maria Moloney was a welcome return. We definitely missed her in the middle.
  • Katelyn Pope could be a real x-factor for us. She also has plenty of dash.
  • I prefer Indy Tahau down back but she proved that she can be very versatile up forward too. At least a few things finally started going her way today.
  • Cheyenne Hammond has been a bit of a whipping girl but she was far from our worst today.

Few observations:

• Ashleigh Saint is a very good player and improves our forward line so much.
  • Matilda Scholz is an absolute gun. Sky is the limit for her.
  • Hannah Ewings has struggled to re-capture her form from last year but today was a step in the right direction, and most players would have struggled playing against Adelaide & Brisbane first up anyway.
  • Maria Moloney was a welcome return. We definitely missed her in the middle.
  • Katelyn Pope could be a real x-factor for us. She also has plenty of dash.
  • I prefer Indy Tahau down back but she proved that she can be very versatile up forward too. At least a few things finally started going her way today.
  • Cheyenne Hammond has been a bit of a whipping girl but she was far from our worst today.
Agree with all of this, but surprised you didn’t mention Abbey Dowrick. Despite the commentators fawning so much over the Saints mids, I thought Dowrick was clearly the best mid on the ground.

Agree with all of this, but surprised you didn’t mention Abbey Dowrick. Despite the commentators fawning so much over the Saints mids, I thought Dowrick was clearly the best mid on the ground.

Here you go

If anything, that was just a stock standard Abbey Dowrick game. There was not much I could have said about it that we didn’t already know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, and its great. Lets get better by taking on the best.

No loser s**t wanting everything to be easy like the mens
Would be better to get some games against similat level opponents first up. At least let the girls get some confidence in their system instead of going out and getting spanked by the top teams. Something that can result in them losing confidence in what they've worked on over the off season.

Watching an actual ruck doing ruck things is so enjoyable.

Taking marks. Tapping with purpose to team mates. Shoving mofos around. A genuine threat forward.

A nice break from the various spuds that line up in the men's team.

Yes it made a pleasant change. As was evident in this game a dominant ruck sets up the mid field and on ballers. Wouldn't it be great if the Power men had a dominant ruckman imagine the damage Rozee, Butters and Houston would do ? Also helps when that same dominant ruck can take marks around the ground.

Finally got around to watching this, great game and great win. Effort all game and good to see it get rewarded.

A few thoughts..
-St Kilda are not a 0-3 team. I won't name teams but I've watched a few other games and the Saints look considerably better - they are solid and I think will end up middle of the pack. Definitely not a pushover.
-Cuthbertson is wow. We knew she was an AA defender and likely to be good but she is really, really good.
-Our forward line is just so much more potent and football is way more fun for everyone when your forwards can kick goals. Saint, a fit Houghton and Ewings are obvious, but we've seen Teakle slot a nice goal last week and have other threats like Pope and Tahau...
-On Tahau, I'm not sure we've got her right strategically. She is so good defensively and offensively I'm not sure she should be used in ruck. I'd like to see Levicki back in that second ruck role and Tahau used as a purer utility. I don't hate her getting ruck time but it was too many minutes in my eyes.
-Blex had her best game of the year easily. We need to find a role for her against the best because she struggled in the first fortnight.

One thing that's clear is we still have a few spots up for grabs. Weapons (usually disposal) of some players really aren't at the level we need to be a top side. Some will develop in to those roles (Boag in particular seems to get better by the week), some will be replaced by the coming superdraft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back