AFLW Port Adelaide vs GWS - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes Matilda Scholz’s field kicking is very dodgy, so I was pleasantly surprised when she absolutely drilled it straight through the middle for her third goal.

Matilda's ball hunting in so good following up her taps, I think we forget how young she is. As she gets more experienced her field kicking will improve. I feel like Tilly gets a bit too excited when she wins her own ball and just throws it on the boot. She will be a ripper.

Only semi-related to the match at hand but our Pride jumper looks great in-game, already felt like it was the best in the league based on promo photos so feels good to be vindicated in that opinion. Big props to Ebony for designing it, the V/hands motif is just chefs kiss
To be fair they all look like a dogs breakfast

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

The AFL has decided to extend the AFLW season in 2024. It will go from a ten game minor round comp to and eleven game comp. They were going to extend the minor round to twelve games but apparently crowd numbers do not justify the extra game.

Knowing the AFL as we do that will probably mean Port will get five games at home and six on the road.

I was surprised at how quick Gemma Houghton is. And she uses that pace to get to the ball and to attack the opposition.

It was a challenging season. Playing Adelaide and Brisbane in the first two games put us on the back foot from the get go. You really need to take out those two games and the North game to get a proper sense of how we went as those three plus Melbourne are streets ahead of the rest let alone the battler teams like us. So taking those games out we went 2-1-4. Not great but not a disaster given how far back we're coming from.

We got our first win on the road with a nice comeback against the Saints. The Eagles game was disappointing but we were missing Ash Saint due to a nonsense suspension and kicked poorly for goal so it could easily have been a win. The SUNS game has been well recounted but overall it was an encouraging performance against a finals team. We played well against the Giants at home but poorly against the Cats and Swans. The Hawthorn game was another that could've gone either way.

We really upped our game in attack. Last season we often looked unlikely to score for long periods and even went goalless against the Crows. No such problems this season with Houghton fit and the inclusion of Saint.

We struggled in midfield. Dowrick was a one woman band and will win the B&F easy. The decline of Ewings was significant. Aside from the Saints game she had minimal impact as a forward. She needs to get fit and get back to the sort of football she played last year. Scholz did great in ruck for such a young player and should develop into one of the best all round rucks in the league.

Losing Tahau was a disaster for a team with limited high end talent. We need her back fit and firing next season as she's a top 5 player for us, can play any position and is still young and improving.

I thought Cuthbertson and Kerryck both added something to our team and were solid recruits. Pope was also solid and added much needed pace.

Looking ahead we need midfielders, especially outside midfielders who can get in space and break the lines. We lack in that area big time. Unfortunately we are handicapped in our recruiting due to the way the league is setup. I'm sure we'll try shake Hatchard or Marinoff free again but it's unlikely. Maybe there are some good draft prospects but that won't be a quick fix. So I'm not expecting major improvement next season. Hopefully we can consolidate on the improvements of this season and if we could get to 4 wins that would be another step forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having never watched an aflw match I thought I’d give it a go, being last game for Erin & club for the year. I lasted about 10 minutes & switched off. Was like watching kids play, shocking skills & unfit players.
This league as a looong bloody way to go to be remotely watchable.
They are giving it their all, so well done to them.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Having never watched an aflw match I thought I’d give it a go, being last game for Erin & club for the year. I lasted about 10 minutes & switched off. Was like watching kids play, shocking skills & unfit players.
This league as a looong bloody way to go to be remotely watchable.
They are giving it their all, so well done to them.

To be frank, it says everything about how open minded you were to the concept that it took you 8 full seasons of AFLW and 2 full seasons of Port playing in the AFLW for you to watch a single game.

To be frank, it says everything about how open minded you were to the concept that it took you 8 full seasons of AFLW and 2 full seasons of Port playing in the AFLW for you to watch a single game.
10 minutes of a single game (and we know it was more like 10 seconds, too).

Offsiders just showed the AFLW table with Adelaide on top but alongside the Port logo. Well done Kelli :D

I can’t even watch the mens of late, I don’t need more punishment.
I have watched bits & pieces here & there in the past , was hoping to see a better spectacle. Nope, to each their own.

I didn’t mind it this year , disappointed we didn’t seem to improve much but there’s something to work with .
i thought Gemma was good and Ash Saint who seems a natural goal kicker.
obviously Dowrick was excellent . Hannah Ewing was disappointing, she looked super talented last season but looked unfit and off the pace , hopefully she’ll be able to turn that around.
Cuthberson was solid and Boak , I thought Justine Mules was quite good in the latter games . Pope showed a little . Ebony Odesa is a classic in the old Ivan Eckerman role of socks down hard worker . Matilda Sholz was excellent and has a big future . TahJay was looking good before her injury ,
More class in the midfield is desperately needed but got me in a bit , even starting to get a crush on a few players lol

I can’t even watch the mens of late, I don’t need more punishment.
I have watched bits & pieces here & there in the past , was hoping to see a better spectacle. Nope, to each their own.

I can see your point about watching footy in general.
I’ve gone from full on fanatic to checking the scores on the phone over the last couple of years.
A combination of disappointing results from the team and a general disinterest in today’s game style have been the main reasons.
With that in mind the woman’s game for me is even less appealing, I hope they improve and do well but it’s just not for me.

The women's game is way more appealing because at least they're a diverse group of girls who more or less play for the love of it as opposed to the men's game which is largely dumb jocks getting paid half a million a year to not care.

That was as much fun as I've had at the footy in a long time. Event atmosphere around Erin's farewell, crowd felt like 10,000 (was 3,353), we jumped the Giants early and stayed on top.

The twin towers Saint and Houghton dominated forward, Tilly fantastic in ruck, Dowrick in the square, O'Dea rebounding off half back. So many played good games.

And of course the Fabulous Erin Phillips marking and goaling in the dying moments of the game, then swamped by the entire team..

Great game, great send off for a superstar of AFLW who holds herself with such poise and dignity.

The women's game is way more appealing because at least they're a diverse group of girls who more or less play for the love of it as opposed to the men's game which is largely dumb jocks getting paid half a million a year to not care.

I’m sure that’ll change as years go by.
I’m hoping the skills & fitness gets better. Some look unprofessionally unfit too. You don’t see that in other women’s sport like hockey, netball, basketball etc. Those girls look super fit & athletic.

And in Charlie Dixon's case to actively go out of his way to insult those who do care.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back