AFLW Yartapuulti vs Gold Coast - Round 8 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

People saying if she took 30 seconds for the kick, we win. Considering they kicked the goal to tie it up with two minutes left, how do yous figure that? I understand the principle of it, but it was not directly related to chucking the win away.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

She had the kick with just over 2 minutes to play. They leveled it up with just over 90 seconds to play.

You go back and take your kick and you soak up probably 40 seconds when all is said and done. You're now at maybe 80 seconds to play and you've either kicked a point to go 7 points up or maybe you've got a goal mouth stoppage or scrap. We win the game from that position 99% of the time.

It's all about valuing time. I wonder how many players realise you can soak up 40 seconds with a shot at goal. You can take 30 to start your run in, another 5 to kick it, then the goal umpire all clear and signalling takes another 5. Knowing this is significant in the context of a close finish.

She had the kick with just over 2 minutes to play. They leveled it up with just over 90 seconds to play.

You go back and take your kick and you soak up probably 40 seconds when all is said and done. You're now at maybe 80 seconds to play and you've either kicked a point to go 7 points up or maybe you've got a goal mouth stoppage or scrap. We win the game from that position 99% of the time.

It's all about valuing time. I wonder how many players realise you can soak up 40 seconds with a shot at goal. You can take 30 to start your run in, another 5 to kick it, then the goal umpire all clear and signalling takes another 5. Knowing this is significant in the context of a close finish.
The other major factor here was that the turnover happened on a fast play. The ground was stretched, we weren't in our defensive positions and they were able to bounce it out and link up all the way down the ground easily as a result. She takes the time, players get into position and the transition just doesn't happen like that. The fact the time would've been much shorter and that we could've been 7 or 12 points up, absolutely seals it, but just the ball position alone wins it if we just slow down and set up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back