AFLW Port Adelaide vs Brisbane - Round 2 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hard to watch. The club let us down by allowing us to be the last team entered in this comp.

The extra layer of frustration is, we poured so much money and countless manhours into forging the alternate China-related revenue streams in a bid to be more self-sufficient and graduate up from the ‘have nots’, while the AFLW quickly became a fully-subsidised gravy train for the ‘haves’.

You’ve got to laugh.

Our girls are soft. Sorry, but there need to be some questions about how they’re coached and prepared. Not seeing much improvement here.

Once again we tried to be a pacesetter by appointing a female Coach with precious little coaching experience and very little playing experience. When you compare Lauren Arnell's CV with that of some of the successful AFLW Coaches it is mind bogglingly short on substance.

Thus far I have seen little improvement on last year.

Imagine the furore if the Cub did what it probably should do and replaced Arnell at the end of this season? The female mafia would be asking how it is that Arnell got the chop yet Ken survived ?

Last edited:
The extra layer of frustration is, we poured so much money and countless manhours into forging the alternate China-related revenue streams in a bid to be more self-sufficient and graduate up from the ‘have nots’, while the AFLW quickly became a fully-subsidised gravy train for the ‘haves’.

You’ve got to laugh.
I fail to see why it had to be one or the other.

I fail to see why it had to be one or the other.

From memory the AFL stated their preference was a sole license for the SA/NT region to begin, and I don’t think anyone believed it would quickly become a no-risk fountain of corporate and government dollars.

We should not be playing teams like Brisbane.

I’m half-expecting Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich to lace up and chime in. The gap is brutal. Like a cup tie between a premier league club and a village team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m half-expecting Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich to lace up and chime in. The gap is brutal. Like a cup tie between a premier league club and a village team.
Zorko is probably banned from being near the womens team.

Honestly this is pointless.

The comp needs 2 div's, ridiculous we're facing such an experienced lineup, with significantly deeper quality and capabilities.

Let the top tier battle it out and let those developing sides get to the right level before winning promotion to try and compete against those top sides, and work their way up to a flag.
Exactly. Last weeks the Crows a multiple Premiership team even though they had an easy road into the AFLW, this week the Lions a Premiership team, both seasoned teams and us in our first full pre season. It’s ridiculous.
And yet all the building us up in the pre season. Yuck.

Just quietly, a few of our players really don't look like in the required condition for a professional sportsperson. Noticed it against the crows when they were running off us at will.
We've got like 6 good players. That's the issue.

Houghton, Tahau, Saint, Dowrick, Ewing's, Scholz. 4 of them are pretty darn young.

Maybe you could also include Cuthbertson, Ballard, Mules, Foley and an aging Phillips.

Hammond shouldn't be in the comp, Boag x2, Duursma, Syme, Teakle, O'Dea, Dunn, MacLachlan, Stewart. These players all aren't up to the standard.

We desperately need some half decent outside wingers, and then some flankers that can hold that outside shape, link up and impact the play.

Last edited:
We need to do a lot of work on ball handling. The constant fumbling just kills us.
Forget the handballs, need to do a lot on just picking it up, holding it and accepting the tackle. We seem obsessed with trying to handball it out in hopeless situations. It's ok to reset for the ball up, I don't think they understand that.

We should not be playing teams like Brisbane.

You never improve unless you pit yourself against the best and running away will not solve anything. What we have to do is improve to their standard. This starts by getting the house in order and getting the talent we have playing as a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back