AFLW Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide - Round 9 @ Frankston

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally everything that is said about the men’s coach is out of line but that doesn’t seem to bother anyone. Not sure why we need to tip toe around the women’s coach.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Lol when a coach has been here as long as Hinkley without results, providing him and his family with wealth and prestige beyond their wildest dreams, there's no out of line.

There's not much to take out of this season outside of Scholz and maybe Dowrick. Everyone else has either stagnated or regressed.

A large part of the younger players we have a pretty much no hopers. The older players are mostly on the downslope. It doesn't give much hope for quick improvement.

We look really slow. Really, really slow. Either we need to pick players who have the athleticism to play at this level, or we need to see significant improvement in fitness standards. Probably both.

And I think our game plan is too heavily weighted to contest and not enough to outside run. It feels very 2017 AFLW. The skills and athleticism of players (maybe not ours...) has pushed the game to being more outside and most teams can execute decently. There needs to be some sort of blueprint to get more ball movement into our game and get away from hack kicks out of contest.

Literally everything that is said about the men’s coach is out of line but that doesn’t seem to bother anyone. Not sure why we need to tip toe around the women’s coach.

She learns under Hinkley. Just like Goldsack in the Maggies. It's the same crap.

Lol when a coach has been here as long as Hinkley without results, providing him and his family with wealth and prestige beyond their wildest dreams, there's no out of line.

All coaches are fair game to me. Hinkley deserves all the criticism he gets, it can get a little personal and over the top at times but a lot of it is fair. I reckon their is an elephant in the room with the women’s team though.

One positive, Matilda Scholz was huge in the ruck.
She was partially a positive, but far out does she butcher the ball or what. In the 2nd quarter she kept basically giving them the ball and cost a couple goals. There's a lot there, but her decision making when kicking is as bad as anyone in the team. Needs to just bang it long.

Our AFLW team was cobbled together last year, and we are very much the second string to the other SA team who have been dominant from the outset. Sure, there are things the coach can and should address but I think it's too early to call time.

Yeah but why not shoot your mouth off on the internet about a semi professional team cobbled together barely more than a year ago in total haste with close to zero access to anything approaching a reasonable sized talent pool, make comparisons with other clubs not even remotely in the same position and then pretend that others are comparable because they entered at the same time despite having vastly superior talent pools at their disposal?

I'd be willing to bet none of these people actually follow this league in any depth and could walk past Jasmine Garner, Georgie Prespakis and Chloe Molloy in the street without recognising them.

And bonus points for the crossover with the clowns that defend Hinkley and the other assorted assholes who have been defrauding the club of millions for a decade or more without having a care in the world about winning.

Amazing stuff.

Yeah but why not shoot your mouth off on the internet about a semi professional team cobbled together barely more than a year ago in total haste with close to zero access to anything approaching a reasonable sized talent pool, make comparisons with other clubs not even remotely in the same position and then pretend that others are comparable because they entered at the same time despite having vastly superior talent pools at their disposal?

I'd be willing to bet none of these people actually follow this league in any depth and could walk past Jasmine Garner, Georgie Prespakis and Chloe Molloy in the street without recognising them.

And bonus points for the crossover with the clowns that defend Hinkley and the other assorted assholes who have been defrauding the club of millions for a decade or more without having a care in the world about winning.

Amazing stuff.
Unfortunately the extremely poor performing AFLW team is just another stuff up by a club that once set the standards particularly in this state, with the obvious example an over weight and unfit teenager who presented herself this season with a muffin top that could rival that of a 40 plus year old who has been leaning on a pub bar every night for 20 odd years.

That should have never been allowed to happen and the coach and `fitness' staff (assuming they exist) are in my opinion just as much to blame.
Ever since Moses played full back for Jerusalem players in professional and semi professional comps were given a weight range to maintain in the off season, and those with a penchant for putting on the pud were monitored more closely, it's not rocket science.

Even more unfortunately there was little to suggest from yesterday's performance by the team as a whole that they won't be much more than just cannon fodder for most of the other teams for quite a few seasons yet, and for those old enough to remember I suspect many could be like me in thinking the current Port Adelaide is getting a bit too much like the Woodville woodpeckers of the 1970's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same old same old. Competitive, get in front, can't hold on, make dumb skill errors and decisions - lose.

I expect this against Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, North and Geelong, and bigger losses, but we do it against the other 3 expansion teams of last year, and the poor teams that were in the expansion group that took the comp from 8 teams to 14 teams.

At times the poor skills make it hard to watch. The farken umpiring should be way above the standard of the teams, but its beneath the skill level of all the teams not just the older dominate teams.

What a disappointment the whole season has been. Skills don't seem to have improved since last year but I think more than that we don't really try to use our skills. Everything is win the ball in the contest then hack it forward, no run to get outside and get some uncontested possession. We do everything the hard way. It's reminiscent of the Primus years where we centred our gameplan around winning contested ball but didn't have much else. Arnell talks the talk but the actual gamestyle and play aren't there.

Also who is doing list management for us? We recruited defenders and forwards primarily but the main problem is the midfield. For several games this year we had Ebony O'Dea in the centre square, who is absolutely not a midfielder, because we lost Yorston in the offseason. Scholz and Pope emerging has been heartening, as has Dowrick continuing on in the same vein as last year, Saint has been a shining light up forward, Hammond has been so much better this year, Syme is showing signs and Phillips is doing whatever is needed for the team, but outside that it's bad. Really bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back