AFLW Port Adelaide vs Sydney - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

1695993385278.png

F7kzDStbwAAwcau

Last edited:

Interesting comments from the Bulldogs coach.

I don't buy the 'semi-professional' excuse for poor conditioning. I haven't seen many unfit A League W players and they get paid less than the AFLW players do now, let alone when the AFLW salaries double in 4 years.

Get fit or you're not playing. Establish standards. There are several who fit into that category in our squad, Ewings being one of them.

Interesting comments from the Bulldogs coach.

I don't buy the 'semi-professional' excuse for poor conditioning. I haven't seen many unfit A League W players and they get paid less than the AFLW players do now, let alone when the AFLW salaries double in 4 years.

Get fit or you're not playing. Establish standards. There are several who fit into that category in our squad, Ewings being one of them.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

The less professional the competition is and the less money the players make the less devoted to their craft they will be both from a time commitment perspective and from a motivational perspective. Sure, there will be some players who still go above and beyond in the current setup, but it's not going to be everyone.

When the league becomes fully professional the product will improve exponentially.

It's not an excuse, it's an explanation.

The less professional the competition is and the less money the players make the less devoted to their craft they will be both from a time commitment perspective and from a motivational perspective. Sure, there will be some players who still go above and beyond in the current setup, but it's not going to be everyone.

When the league becomes fully professional the product will improve exponentially.
I would argue 'above and beyond' is not what we are looking for here. I'm not expecting all the girls to show up in peak condition like Boak does after a USA trip. It seems fair that you show up in reasonable condition to play a physically demanding sport i.e. not overweight.

Nonetheless, I can see that as an explanation, but I don't accept it as someone who wants to see Port win. The standards we should set as a club should be that if you want to play, you need to be fit. I haven't watched heaps of other teams this season, but I would say in general the teams up the top of the ladder look fit.

And in general, if there is a demand from the players to be professional, get paid more etc. (which in principle I agree with) then there should be some form of aspiration to be in as good as condition possible to perform.

I would argue 'above and beyond' is not what we are looking for here. I'm not expecting all the girls to show up in peak condition like Boak does after a USA trip. It seems fair that you show up in reasonable condition to play a physically demanding sport i.e. not overweight.

Nonetheless, I can see that as an explanation, but I don't accept it as someone who wants to see Port win. The standards we should set as a club should be that if you want to play, you need to be fit. I haven't watched heaps of other teams this season, but I would say in general the teams up the top of the ladder look fit.

And in general, if there is a demand from the players to be professional, get paid more etc. (which in principle I agree with) then there should be some form of aspiration to be in as good as condition possible to perform.

I agree generally about standards. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of the girls - well, if you're asking us to be professional and dedicated, how about the league pays us in a way that reflects those expectations?

Already we are seeing a trend towards excuse making this year which wasn't the case last year and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Our performance Friday was the poorest I've seen. We were undisciplined from the get go in general play and off the ball.
Felt a little sorry for Matilda as she gave away many frees and got frustrated but she was dominating the ruck and we should have got easier clearances from centre given her dominance.
Erin is too slow to play as a centre square mid and cannot bend over to get ground balls.
Whatever Hannah's issue is this year, she's clearly not fit and her playing minimal time on ball is hurting us.

Already we are seeing a trend towards excuse making this year which wasn't the case last year and I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Our performance Friday was the poorest I've seen. We were undisciplined from the get go in general play and off the ball.
Felt a little sorry for Matilda as she gave away many frees and got frustrated but she was dominating the ruck and we should have got easier clearances from centre given her dominance.
Erin is too slow to play as a centre square mid and cannot bend over to get ground balls.
Whatever Hannah's issue is this year, she's clearly not fit and her playing minimal time on ball is hurting us.
I am not sure how long the coach can continue to oversee what is increasing looking like a sub standard program. There are many players that have gone backwards since last year (Ewings being the most notable). The coaches selection is beyond understanding and more to do with shuffling pawns around without ever changing what is a failing structure. Tahou who unfortunately is now out, had to be playing down back as the defence has been terrible all year. Her playing as a 2nd ruck was ridiculous to say the least.
Arnell needs to start being a coach and make some hard calls. Foley clearly needs to be dropped and a young girl picked as she has been poor. Mules is another over rated player that Adelaide let go for a reason and should make way for another young player. I would be shocked if Arnell is still coaching next year.

IN: Li Cockatoo-Motlap, A Saint, S Syme

OUT: J De Melo, J Halfpenny (omitted), M Moloney (personal)

Good to see Litonya get another chance, thought she showed a bit in the back half of last season.

I am not sure how long the coach can continue to oversee what is increasing looking like a sub standard program. There are many players that have gone backwards since last year (Ewings being the most notable). The coaches selection is beyond understanding and more to do with shuffling pawns around without ever changing what is a failing structure. Tahou who unfortunately is now out, had to be playing down back as the defence has been terrible all year. Her playing as a 2nd ruck was ridiculous to say the least.
Arnell needs to start being a coach and make some hard calls. Foley clearly needs to be dropped and a young girl picked as she has been poor. Mules is another over rated player that Adelaide let go for a reason and should make way for another young player. I would be shocked if Arnell is still coaching next year.

I'll be shocked if she isn't coaching Port's women's team next season, and I'll be shocked if the club does not have plans for her to be coach for multiple seasons.

Last week's game was the worse women's team performance I've seen play across the time that it has been around, and they were only playing one of the other struggling teams as well.

Mules and Foley were terrible players to pick up given we were already going very old with Erin. Had an opportunity to target someone in a better age range, instead we end up with retirement home players and kids.

Not sure why Syme is in and out of the team like a yo-yo either. Going to be s**t anyway, may as well stick with the youf.

Ashleigh Saint is a good in but Maria Moloney out will hurt.

In my bias opinion, it’s disappointing to see my girl Jade Halfpenny out but it’s also good to see one of the Cockatoo-Motlap twins for the first time this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those following along at home:

Last Years bottom 9 have now won 5 games out of 23 against last years top 9.

If the comp 3 of those 5 were won against Coll and WB, WB haven't won any game this year and Coll haven't beaten a side from last years top 9.

If the comp was in a 2 div structure, the ladders would look like so:
Melb
3​
0​
217%​
Ess
3​
0​
158%​
Adel
2​
0​
326%​
Carlton
2​
0​
192%​
GC
2​
1​
86%​
Syd
2​
1​
112%​
North
1​
1​
112%​
Freo
2​
1​
101%​
Bris
1​
1​
95%​
Port
1​
1​
102%​
Rich
1​
1​
69%​
WC
1​
3​
60%​
Geel
1​
2​
92%​
GWS
0​
1​
90%​
Coll
0​
2​
49%​
Stk
0​
2​
79%​
WB
0​
3​
52%​
Haw
0​
2​
62%​

If this scenario was in place:

• WB (17th) and Collingwood (11th) would have a purpose in playing to avoid relegation.
  • Essendon (9th), Carlton (8th), Syd (10th), Freo (13th) and Port (14th) would despite being no chance in finals, be fighting for spots in a 3 team playoff for promotion.

It is also worth noting, that the current top 7, are all also in the top 7 spots in the top 9 division. This is because of the fact that despite their actual performances against the other top sides, they beat up on the lower sides. This again highlights the divide.

The results from top 9 Vs bottom 9 sides are as follows. The increases in percentage and decreases are clear.

Adel
3​
0​
247%​
StK
2​
1​
92%​
Bris
3​
0​
247%​
Freo
1​
1​
82%​
North
3​
0​
642%​
Car
1​
2​
55%​
Melb
2​
0​
512%​
Haw
1​
2​
53%​
Geel
2​
0​
166%​
WC
0​
1​
26%​
Rich
2​
1​
117%​
Syd
0​
2​
47%​
Coll
2​
1​
130%​
Ess
0​
2​
46%​
GC
1​
1​
218%​
Port
0​
3​
47%​
WB
0​
2​
75%​
GWS
0​
4​
33%​

My proposal remains:

• 2 Division System
  • 16 games per year, playing everyone in your div H&A, or just 8 games per year.
  • 4 team finals series in Div 1.
  • Bottom 2 teams of div 1, relegated at end of year.
  • Top of div 2 automatically gets promoted
  • Promotion playoff between 2nd and 3rd of div 2. Winner promoted.

*Could always make the div 2 playoffs a 4 team thing as well. ie:
1 v 2 - Winner promoted
3 v 4 - Winner plays loser of 1 v 2 for promotion.

Personally I think we'd see more competitive footy, better progression, more excitement at the end of the year for more teams as more are implicated in the finals/relegation races.

I'll be shocked if she isn't coaching Port's women's team next season, and I'll be shocked if the club does not have plans for her to be coach for multiple seasons.

Last week's game was the worse women's team performance I've seen play across the time that it has been around, and they were only playing one of the other struggling teams as well.
West Coast had lost the previous 10 games. We were appalling. Worst performance in our short history by far and we've received some spankings. Am expecting a loss this weekend.

We got all warm and fuzzy and opted to look good with a rookie female coach. If we do not turn it around over the remainder of this season we should get an experienced Coach on Board for 2024.

We got all warm and fuzzy and opted to look good with a rookie female coach. If we do not turn it around over the remainder of this season we should get an experienced Coach on Board for 2024.

All memes aside, who are you going to get? We can't even attract assistant coaches to our AFL team who aren't ex players so no chance of getting anyone with any credibility for AFLW.

I'd stick with Lauren. I find her to be quite impressive. We'd all like more wins but realistically it's going to be difficult for at least the first 3 years, maybe even more.

All memes aside, who are you going to get? We can't even attract assistant coaches to our AFL team who aren't ex players so no chance of getting anyone with any credibility for AFLW.

I'd stick with Lauren. I find her to be quite impressive. We'd all like more wins but realistically it's going to be difficult for at least the first 3 years, maybe even more.
Allow me to retort with women bad.

We had Hamish Hartlett as an AFLW assistant last year and this year we have Cam Sutcliffe assisting Arnell. Head Coach of the AFLW side might also be a good means of moving someone like Travis Boak into coaching after retirement provided he wants to hang around at Alberton. Top four clubs like Adelaide have Clarke, Brisbane have Starcevich and North have Crocker in addition Bourke and Del Santo coach AFLW teams. Other clubs do not have a problem getting a Coach with AFL experience so why should we?

We sit 2 from 12 atm and we are not improving at that should not be acceptable.

We sit 2 from 12 atm and we are not improving at that should not be acceptable.

I think we have improved from last season, even if it hasn't yet translated to wins.

If you look at the teams who entered with us, we're 2.5 wins from 15 games, Sydney are 2 wins from 15 games, Hawthorn are 4 wins from 15 games and Essendon are 7 wins from 15 games. So Essendon have clearly done better but we're in the same ballpark as the other 2 comparable teams.

I'd also suggest if you look at the history of the league that the second team in the non Victorian market has always struggled. West Coast still haven't got off the ground and the SUNS took many seasons to get to where they are now.

We entered a league which was set up in a ridiculous staggered process that created a lopsided competition where some clubs are streets ahead of others and enjoy continuing advantages as a result. It could take literally a decade or more to even out.

We are definitely better than last year, losing Saint and Tahau nobbled us for the Coast game, let alone the usual ratshit umpiring we get in the west (or anywhere really).

We were surprisingly competitive against Adelaide at least in the first half. Brisbane were just too good and Geelong we gave ourselves no chance.

The difference between the strata of the competition based on time in play is so clear. There have been some horribly unbalanced results this year. And it only gets worse as limited resources are spread too thin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back