AFLW West Coast vs Port Adelaide - Round 5 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet you're here every game

The guy that recently slammed me for being negative comes on here and makes endless degrading posts about our AFLW team of semi professional athletes that has been cobbled together for barely 12 months and fights hard to compete in a competition totally stacked against it. Lol.

I usually don't comment about the AFLW but I watched the 1st qtr last night in its entirety, and then 5 to 10 minutes of each qtr for the rest of the game.

The positives for me were the depth of kicks for both teams which has improved significantly from what it was, and the marking, with some of the Port girls taking very strong grabs.

The same negatives that prevent me from being a regular watcher are still there though, the decision making is still very ordinary, in my opinion 3 golden chances to score goals were burnt in the first 5 minutes of the game and the fwd 50 entries didn't improve much from what I saw after that either, eg one Port player who was in space multiple times when the team was kicking to the left of the screen burnt the ball just about every time.

The physical appearance from a purely fitness point of view of some players is very poor too, particularly if as mentioned they are getting any where near 7k a game.

There were a number of `Bertha Butts' on both teams that is the nature of the beast, but I suspect any male running around in just about any comp with the spare tyre around his waist bouncing up and down, that even if they were playing for nada they would cop plenty of derision, and quite rightly so.

At the risk of upsetting anyone and maybe I am being too harsh here, but going by what I saw Erin Phillips was disappointing, she missed a number of tackles that arguably should have been nailed, she did a fair bit of jogging around when she looked close enough to impact the contest but didn't, and when she got the ball her disposal was often hurried and ineffective.

It is possible of course Erin was sensational for the 30 odd minutes of the game that I didn't watch, so my criticism of her could be way off the mark!

I usually don't comment about the AFLW but I watched the 1st qtr last night in its entirety, and then 5 to 10 minutes of each qtr for the rest of the game.

The positives for me were the depth of kicks for both teams which has improved significantly from what it was, and the marking, with some of the Port girls taking very strong grabs.

The same negatives that prevent me from being a regular watcher are still there though, the decision making is still very ordinary, in my opinion 3 golden chances to score goals were burnt in the first 5 minutes of the game and the fwd 50 entries didn't improve much from what I saw after that either, eg one Port player who was in space multiple times when the team was kicking to the left of the screen burnt the ball just about every time.

The physical appearance from a purely fitness point of view of some players is very poor too, particularly if as mentioned they are getting any where near 7k a game.

There were a number of `Bertha Butts' on both teams that is the nature of the beast, but I suspect any male running around in just about any comp with the spare tyre around his waist bouncing up and down, that even if they were playing for nada they would cop plenty of derision, and quite rightly so.

At the risk of upsetting anyone and maybe I am being too harsh here, but going by what I saw Erin Phillips was disappointing, she missed a number of tackles that arguably should have been nailed, she did a fair bit of jogging around when she looked close enough to impact the contest but didn't, and when she got the ball her disposal was often hurried and ineffective.

It is possible of course Erin was sensational for the 30 odd minutes of the game that I didn't watch, so my criticism of her could be way off the mark!

Difficult to disagree '54. The two standout issues were (poor) decision making, especially in the forward half and fitness is clearly a significant issue for several players - acknowledging the sensitivity in this area.

There is definite talent in the squad but they appear to lack cohesion and rely a tad too much on individual's brilliance.

Still, relatively early days and there is an improvement but much more to be done.

Last edited:
I didn't realise this game was on. I got a shock when I looked at the AFLW fixture on my phone and found yesterday's result. Looks like we lost to the previously bottom side. Narrow loss but another loss just the same. Obviously the AFL have a thing about playing the women's games on AFL Grand Final day. I suspect they are scared of the flak they would cop from the feminist lobby.

I didn't realise this game was on. I got a shock when I looked at the AFLW fixture on my phone and found yesterday's result. Looks like we lost to the previously bottom side. Narrow loss but another loss just the same. Obviously the AFL have a thing about playing the women's games on AFL Grand Final day. I suspect they are scared of the flak they would cop from the feminist lobby.

There was one today - Coll vs Ess at 11.00am over at Punt Road Oval.

I did not see the game but it sounds like some of the problems the girls had in their first year are still with them.

Phillips is 38 years old. It's extraordinary that she's even able to play, let alone be in the top half of players in the team.

It's a testament to her dedication and preparation and an indictment on some of the younger players in the squad who are no where near the required level.

What it does highlight in general is that our entire list build is out of whack where we have a bunch of 30+ players, a bunch of 18-20 year olds and nothing else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back