Review Positives and Negatives v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch today's press conference but Simmo does give me Ross Lyon vibes sometimes. Freo were dragged kicking and screaming into a rebuild ("restump, rewire, replumb") and wasted plenty of time early on persisting with the old guard and his foot soldiers. We won 10 games last year and finished 9th and 2 this year for 17th. Ye best start believin' in rebuilds, you're in one.

Pirates Curse GIF

Potential best 22 next year with ages. I refuse to play the Bigfooty 'player X only turns 27 in October' game.

B: Cole (27) Barrass (28) Hurn (36)
HB: Bazzo (20) McGovern (31) Jones (25)
C: Gaff (31) Shuey (33) Duggan (27)
HF: Ryan (27) Allen (24) Rioli (28)
F: Cripps (31) Darling (31) Waterman (25)
Foll: Naitanui (33) Kelly (29) Yeo (30)

IC: Sheed (28) Culley (20) Redden (33) B Williams (23)

That's not a young team. That's an old team. Bolded you can make a case as young players. Jones pushing it but he's still inexperienced. Waterman has been around long enough. That team with a reasonable availability of players should be a 50/50 W-L side.

Below are the guys who have been getting games this year plus Chesser and whoever we get this year.

O'Neill (23)
Edwards (23)
Rotham (25)
Hough (20)
Foley (24)
Chesser (20)
2022 draft picks (19)
Petruccelle (24)

We won't ever have a full squad available but if we see a 22 like the one above to start the year then it sets the tone that we are trying to win games. Which is fine, but it means Simmo and co get zero leeway with performance. You start 0-3 you get the 'what's Clarko up to?' blowtorch.

IMO we need to prioritise having at least a third of the weekly squad as young players, anywhere from 7-10 at a time. But how you squeeze another 2+ players into that side is the question. Are we going to drop Gaff and Duggan for playing poorly? McGovern and Naitanui for failing skin folds? Ryan for phoning it in half the time? Redden, Hurn or Shuey just because they are the oldest? Maybe we're not as bad as everyone thinks and don't need to gut half the list, but we've had a pretty good run of not having to make tough decisions.

The period after 2015 when we moved on Josh Hill and Wellingham who were mainstays, traded Matt Rosa, let Scott Selwood go a free agent, nudged Priddis and didn't persist with Mitchell after 2017 was really the last time we got rid of players who had footy left in them. You could argue we could've kept Lycett ($600k for a second ruckman yeah nah) and Masten could've played on after 2019 but the big moves we've made are overpaying for Kelly and paying big money to re-sign everyone for as long as they want. This year was a shemozzle (pretty sure we had 3 listed players in the WAFL today, lol) but it doesn't seem like there's much pressure on anyone. I love Yeo but he was under contract until the end of 2023 and we extended him to 2024, this year. Why? Based on what? The 10 games he played in 2020 or the 12 in 2021? Someone like Yeo, out of contract at 30 at the end of 2023 should be a wait and see proposition. And if he's not able to stay on the park he doesn't get a contract. Harsh on a 2 x B&F winner but footy is a tough business. Instead we had him locked for another year before this season started.
I didn't know we'd extended Yeo for 12 months (where did you hear this?). My guess is it would be to shuffle salary around, which makes me hopeful that we need it to bring in some trades during the off season.

I didn't know we'd extended Yeo for 12 months (where did you hear this?). My guess is it would be to shuffle salary around, which makes me hopeful that we need it to bring in some trades during the off season.
Same article that told us about Simmo to 2025

salty about rioli getting pinged for running too far.

I was furious about that bullshit call. Also said wait until you see others lining up for goal and being given that extra couple of steps grace. Sure enough at least 2 Geelong goals were scored with the player taking 12 steps (same as Rioli) or more in Stengle's case running 25m without a bounce at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back