Review Positives and Negatives vs Essendon - Rd 14, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to read no commentary on the umpiring bias. Do you guys see it or have you become immune and it is actually become the norm. Please don’t consider this a troll.

Interesting to read no commentary on the umpiring bias. Do you guys see it or have you become immune and it is actually become the norm. Please don’t consider this a troll.
What can we do? We don’t control it?

The kicks bar one or two were there.

The umpire bias is the same for you when we play you on the east coast.

You dont say anything about it then.

C4FFDD76-D268-4E60-A5A2-D2D84C04992F.jpeg
Cool, so you've surveyed every single free kick we've received in the last 10 years and determined whether they were biased?

No but going by raw data it is pretty damning. But you are answering my original post and I appreciate that. You literally don’t see the bias. Cheers.

View attachment 516618

No but going by raw data it is pretty damning. But you are answering my original post and I appreciate that. You literally don’t see the bias. Cheers.

What I mean by that is you can't just go by the pure weight of numbers - free kicks aren't all the same. A free given in front of goal for a push in the back isn't the same as a HTB in the D50.

Does the table you quote include away differential?

The free kick differential in our favour seriously annoyed me because it was so pronounced that dickheads can then use to justify the raping we get every time we play away. Which is of course 10x the issue when there's a Vic homeground GF advantage for life.

What I mean by that is you can't just go by the pure weight of numbers - free kicks aren't all the same. A free given in front of goal for a push in the back isn't the same as a HTB in the D50.

Does the table you quote include away differential?
No I don’t have those stats.

Anyway sorry for coming on your board and talking about this. It’s a bit of a dick move in hindsight. Thanks for not flaming me.

Enjoy the rest of the season.

No I don’t have those stats.

Anyway sorry for coming on your board and talking about this. It’s a bit of a dick move in hindsight. Thanks for not flaming me.

Enjoy the rest of the season.

If I brought up 2013 on your board to downplay your recent successes I'd cop a ban and deservedly so.

Good to see you recognise it is a dick move but you could always not have posted in the first place. Or post it on the main board at the very least.

Extraordinarily bad. Some of that was bad luck, but a lot of it was also self-inflicted.
Our forward line was dysfunctional, and on a lot of occasions the only set shots we were able to generate were from the boundary line. Those are always going to be tough to convert, and are a pet peeve of mine. That was very typical of our play a couple of years ago and this season we've mostly done a good job of avoiding it.
On the other hand, when you let the other team slice you up straight through the middle of the ground, you give up much more kickable opportunities.

So bottom line - using inaccuracy as an excuse is missing the point IMO.
Players, coaches and Selectors were asleep at the wheel - very simple!

+ 10-3 is good
+ better to have s**t games in middle of season with games in the bank
+ Wake up call was needed
+ After that first quarter showed steel to reduce the margin
+ Got aggressive and angry in the 2nd half
+ Shuey is slowly regaining fitness and form
+ Defense is holding up reasonably well under strong pressure
+ FB, FF and CHF were missing. That's massive. A win was always going to be unlikely.

- Cannot seem to stop players running out of their D50
- Missed tackles
- set shots

So,

someone needs to work on a game plan for teams trying to run it out of D50 like that.

Tackling practice obviously needed.

We have wins on the board so do not rush back JD and JK. All about Finding form and fitness leading into the finals

Give Ah Chee at least 4 games in the side I think. Hutchings out.

Nelson out. Jetts down back. Masten wing.

McInnes out. McGovern forward would be better. Even if that means Yeo needs to be sent back a bit.

I'm inclined to let Rioli Ryan and Waterman remain and let them play together for a significant. Will be beneficial later in the year and definitely in years to come.

Keep Cripps. He does annoying things but he is an important player
NO - Do not send Yeo to the backline - we need him in the midfield. If Barrass comes back from injury next week then keep Schofield in so that covers the KPD then push McGovern forward and bring in Ah Chee who can take a mark and that should cover the KPF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I brought up 2013 on your board to downplay your recent successes I'd cop a ban and deservedly so.

Good to see you recognise it is a dick move but you could always not have posted in the first place. Or post it on the main board at the very least.
Hey come on now. I'd rather them talk here than join the... 'Unique' circlejerk threads on the umpiring board.

Hey come on now. I'd rather them talk here than join the... 'Unique' circlejerk threads on the umpiring board.

Someone did a search of the main board and found half a dozen Eagles umpiring whinging threads, and they were all in years when we were relatively successful.

Crickets when we had a big differential but were s**t.

That's BigFooty main board for you.

No matter who was missing from our forward line in the last 2 weeks, 13.31 is just preposterous. Regardless of how well we play, or whether win or lose next week, we obviously can't let this trend continue any further... :oops:

Extraordinarily bad. Some of that was bad luck, but a lot of it was also self-inflicted.
Our forward line was dysfunctional, and on a lot of occasions the only set shots we were able to generate were from the boundary line. Those are always going to be tough to convert, and are a pet peeve of mine. That was very typical of our play a couple of years ago and this season we've mostly done a good job of avoiding it.
On the other hand, when you let the other team slice you up straight through the middle of the ground, you give up much more kickable opportunities.

So bottom line - using inaccuracy as an excuse is missing the point IMO.

For years our strategy to get the ball I50 has been to bomb it long in the knowledge that Kennedy & Darling will win the contest often enough for it to be effective. JK is rarely hit lace out on the lead, it's almost always him wrestling with the defender or having to slow down his lead and mark it with the defender contesting it. Replace JK and JD with a rookie (Waterman) and a guy not up to AFL standard (McInnes) and what we saw on Thursday night is the result.

Even the commentators picked up on it really early that we just didn't have the quality in there for that strategy to work.

Simpson did brilliantly at quarter time to react to Essendon's run through the middle and after that we dominated the play around the ground. But we really need to work on a plan B when bombing it to JK & JD isn't an option.

For years our strategy to get the ball I50 has been to bomb it long in the knowledge that Kennedy & Darling will win the contest often enough for it to be effective. JK is rarely hit lace out on the lead, it's almost always him wrestling with the defender or having to slow down his lead and mark it with the defender contesting it. Replace JK and JD with a rookie (Waterman) and a guy not up to AFL standard (McInnes) and what we saw on Thursday night is the result.

Even the commentators picked up on it really early that we just didn't have the quality in there for that strategy to work.

Simpson did brilliantly at quarter time to react to Essendon's run through the middle and after that we dominated the play around the ground. But we really need to work on a plan B when bombing it to JK & JD isn't an option.

What did Simpson do brilliantly at quarter time to react to Essendons run through the middle?
They kicked another 2 goals and were 8 goals before we kicked 1.
Also I thought others were saying Simpson can't do anything on game day it's on the players to react.
So which is it?
Not Simpsons fault for losing the game the way we did or it is Simpsons fault?

All good mate I agree we get a heap of free kicks it’s nor the clubs fault. What can the eagles do. If the umps get sucked in by thE Crowd it’s their own fault

All good mate I agree we get a heap of free kicks it’s nor the clubs fault. What can the eagles do. If the umps get sucked in by thE Crowd it’s their own fault
A couple of soft ones got plucked the other night with no help from the crowd at all. To be frank we didn't get close enough to the Bomber players to give away free kicks. As others have said what are we or the club for that matter supposed to do? apologise, ask the umps to not pay us free's, wear hair shirts from Monday to Friday?
Best the eastern snowflakes just learn to suck it up and their teams learn to be more disciplined.

Are we North Melbourne mark II from last year. They were 10-1 then fell into a hole?
I am starting to think we had a dream run pre bye, now we're just back in the middle of the pack, could go up or could go down just depends how lucky we are. Teams like Richmond and Sydney are genuinely quality teams.

You know I actually believe we deserved a lot more free kicks over the years than we've actually received. Guys like Darling, Kennedy, NN have been seriously scragged, blocked and chopped over the years but the umpires have just let opposition get away with a lot of it. It happens to eastern states players also like Reiwoldt, Hawkins and you see their coaches and clubs bring it up in the media yet it still happens.

I don't think anyone predicted us winning 10 in a row. The youth came on quick but sustained success over a season involves a fair bit of luck that we haven't had recently. 2nd and first year players have rough patches and that has coincided 2ith injuries to players which we have no replacements for. When JK and JD come back we will be back competing again. We will see in the next 3 weeks if the squad can fight back and improvise to win without Plan A and B out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back