List Mgmt. Father-Sun Watch (List in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

For future reference and because Jed Anderson is officially a Sun now, he has three children who may become father-son/father-daughter eligible for us one day:

2031 - Elijah Anderson (F/S)
2033 - Jasiah Anderson (F/S)
2038 - Katerinah Anderson (F/D)

Assuming Jed manages to play 100 AFL games for us (I know, it seems like a stretch right now), then both Kai Rischitelli and Elijah Anderson will become the first father-son eligible players for us once 2031 rolls around. Then we could have Jasiah Anderson two years later and Charlie Swallow three years after that. Even if Jed doesn't reach the 100 game milestone with us, it's still worth noting that his daughter Katerinah will be father-daughter eligible for us in 2038 once he plays his first (and 100th game overall) for us this year.

If he's going to be a jet then we should start to hear about him over the next 12-24 months. Will Ashcroft first garnered interest at 10 years of age because we placed him in our academy as an underager so perhaps something similar will happen with Kai this year. The Rischitellis are still based on the GC and I fully expect Kai to play for Broadbeach again this year so hopefully we hear some good things coming out of Broady. Perhaps Elijah Anderson will join Kai Rischitelli (and Harrison Malceski) in the same age group at Broadbeach.
You're expecting Jed Anderson to play 100 games for us when he's already 28yo and a fringe player? Talk about wishful thinking

You're expecting Jed Anderson to play 100 games for us when he's already 28yo and a fringe player? Talk about wishful thinking
Never suggested I was expecting him to play 100 games for us. I was just pointing out that if he did manage to play 100 games for us then his first son Elijah would become F/S eligible for us in the same year that Kai Rischitelli will become F/S eligible in 2031. I also pointed out that even if he doesn't reach the 100 game milestone for us then we still expect him to play at least one game in the red and gold in 2023 which means his daughter will be F/D eligible for us in 2038. As has been pointed out on our board before, it's probably far more likely that Elijah Anderson finds his way into our academy over the next few years and potentially ends up on our list through that pathway instead of the F/S option.

His kids don't have to be FS, but even if they are in the academy, they'll work too.
Yeah and don't forget that Darwin (currently) being a part of our zone drastically increases the chances of Jed's kids ending up in our academy. Even if Jed only does a year or two with us, it seems extremely likely that the Anderson family will settle in Darwin post-career which means we should get the opportunity to nurture his young ones into AFL talents. I would like to see the club maintain a working relationship with Darwin players like Anderson post-career in the same way that we've kept Harbrow involved in player development but obviously Jed would be involved in the Darwin side of development.

I wonder if we're going to see this situation playing out a lot more in the future because a lot of former AFL players seem to be settling on the Gold Coast after their playing days have come to an end. Nick Malceski for example has been retired for 7 years now but has remained on the GC and his son is currently playing junior footy at the Broady Cats. So although Malceski's son wouldn't technically be considered a father-son pick according to the AFL's criteria, Harrison Macleski would be playing for the same team his father played for should he elect to join us through the academy access. Plus, Harrison will have lived on the Gold Coast since he was a 1 year old so you hope he feels a connection to the city and our team.

Yeah and don't forget that Darwin (currently) being a part of our zone drastically increases the chances of Jed's kids ending up in our academy. Even if Jed only does a year or two with us, it seems extremely likely that the Anderson family will settle in Darwin post-career which means we should get the opportunity to nurture his young ones into AFL talents. I would like to see the club maintain a working relationship with Darwin players like Anderson post-career in the same way that we've kept Harbrow involved in player development but obviously Jed would be involved in the Darwin side of development.

I wonder if we're going to see this situation playing out a lot more in the future because a lot of former AFL players seem to be settling on the Gold Coast after their playing days have come to an end. Nick Malceski for example has been retired for 7 years now but has remained on the GC and his son is currently playing junior footy at the Broady Cats. So although Malceski's son wouldn't technically be considered a father-son pick according to the AFL's criteria, Harrison Macleski would be playing for the same team his father played for should he elect to join us through the academy access. Plus, Harrison will have lived on the Gold Coast since he was a 1 year old so you hope he feels a connection to the city and our team.
7 years retired…

Jeez this club wares you down.

Feels like yesterday he was robbing us poor.

I'm sure many on here will be happy to read that father-son prospect Kai Rischitelli is playing U10s for Broadbeach this year alongside another son of a former Sun Harrison Malceski.

Also, does anyone else think we got absolutely screwed with the F/S rule considering they are now saying the new Tasmanian team will have father-son access to any 100 game player that grew up in Tassie? It means they'll have access to the kids of players like Matthew Richardson, Jack Riewoldt, Jeremy Howe etc.

If we had the same father-son entry conditions as the Tasmanian team then that would have given us F/S access to players like Will Ashcroft last year.

I'm sure many on here will be happy to read that father-son prospect Kai Rischitelli is playing U10s for Broadbeach this year alongside another son of a former Sun Harrison Malceski.

Also, does anyone else think we got absolutely screwed with the F/S rule considering they are now saying the new Tasmanian team will have father-son access to any 100 game player that grew up in Tassie? It means they'll have access to the kids of players like Matthew Richardson, Jack Riewoldt, Jeremy Howe etc.

If we had the same father-son entry conditions as the Tasmanian team then that would have given us F/S access to players like Will Ashcroft last year.
Tasmania is pretty close to Melbourne. Makes sense to me…

But in all seriousness, I actually think the AFL want to give concessions in a very different way to what we got, and what GWS got. Since those are obviously wrought with problems, ineffective and also piss other clubs off.

A F/S at least has to nominate the club to be drafted. It’s not free picks and no guarantee it will happen anyway.

Tasmania should be set up much better than we were and far less antagonistically. So if they flail or fail, it will be far more catastrophic.

Tasmania is pretty close to Melbourne. Makes sense to me…

But in all seriousness, I actually think the AFL want to give concessions in a very different way to what we got, and what GWS got. Since those are obviously wrought with problems, ineffective and also piss other clubs off.

A F/S at least has to nominate the club to be drafted. It’s not free picks and no guarantee it will happen anyway.

Tasmania should be set up much better than we were and far less antagonistically. So if they flail or fail, it will be far more catastrophic.
I’m hoping they do well.

They have access to the players if the players nominate them. I am certain if we had that same access to Ashcroft last season he still would of choosen the Lions.

They have access to the players if the players nominate them. I am certain if we had that same access to Ashcroft last season he still would of choosen the Lions.
Probably but at least we would have had the opportunity to pitch to Ashcroft. We know he was a Suns fan when he was younger and still cherishes the GC guernsey that Touk Miller presented to him when he was a 14 year old in our academy so if our captain Touk was involved in the pitch then you never know but the point is we didn't have the opportunity. Ashcroft made it pretty clear that having the opportunity to play with his brother was a big reason as to why he joined the Lions and under these circumstances we would have obviously had father-son access to his brother Levi next year as well so I think we would have been legitimately considered by Ashcroft if the rules allowed it. The takeaway is the rules have robbed us of an opportunity to recruit sons of famous Gold Coasters and virtually every other expansion team in the AFL (outside of the Giants) has been afforded that opportunity and now it looks like Tasmania will also get that opportunity.

How is it fair that Tasmania will potentially benefit from the Riewoldts, Howes and Richardsons of the AFL world but we can't benefit from the likes of the Ashcrofts, Keatings, Hales and Tippetts of the AFL world?

Heard Kai Rischitelli’s name called out in the Lions member birthdays at the game last night.

Probably doesn’t bode well for F\S at the suns…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heard Kai Rischitelli’s name called out in the Lions member birthdays at the game last night.

Considering Rischitelli is a life member of our club, I'd suggest Kai is a member of both Queensland teams but yeah. You can see the Lions are clearly trying to get in early with Kai. The advantage we have is that it seems the Rischitelli family are well and truly settled on the GC and as a result Kai will end up in our academy system from next year onwards. Playing with mates who will potentially also end up as future Suns can be a powerful tool in a situation like this.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
😂

Jeez that's a stretch and a half mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that we have F/S access to him but inaugural Sun Daniel Harris has a son named Sam who has been selected to represent the Victoria Blue squad for this year's U15 National Championships. Harro played 149 games for North which obviously makes his son Sam F/S eligible for the Roos and he played two seasons with us after leaving North; one in the 2010 VFL year and the other in 2011 when he added further 11 AFL games to his overall tally. His 150th AFL game was actually our first ever game against Carlton at the Gabba. Although Sam Harris isn't F/S eligible for us, he may be one to keep an eye on when he becomes draft eligible in 2026 because you just never know whether the Roos will want him and young Sam may feel a connection to our club.

Harro was actually really highly regarded while he was at the Suns and was very influential early days for anyone that doesn't remember. He was one of the few mature aged leaders in our VFL year and served as a member of our inaugural leadership group in 2011 before retiring later that year. Perhaps the Harris name will live on at the Suns in a few years from now...

smO8Xbz.jpg

Side note. Assuming they're good enough, I think it would be really good for our team culture if we drafted as many sons of former Suns players as possible. Build a strong family culture of belonging to the club which will be complimented by our academy that's producing juniors that feel a connection to us through the city/zone ties. We've seen that mentality of drafting sons of former players really help expansion teams build strong cultures of belonging like Brisbane with Jonathan Brown/Will Ashcroft, Port Adelaide with the Eberts/Burgoynes and West Coast with the Waterman boys. I feel it's something we should be looking to replicate with potential second generation Suns coming through like Sam Harris and Kai Rischitelli over the next few years.

We might have another one to keep an eye on when it comes to sons of fathers who have played for our club. Below is Lonnie Casboult (draft eligible in 2033) donning the red and gold on game day and perhaps he aspires to follow in Levi's footsteps one day. Levi should get to 40 games for us later this year but it seems unlikely he will reach the 100 game milestone for us and Lonnie is obviously already father-son eligible for Carlton, however if the Casboult family remain on the GC (which seems likely from interviews Levi has done recently) then Lonnie and little brother Arlo could definitely end up in our academy and potentially choose us instead of the Blues. I don't think Levi was too happy about the way things ended at Carlton so he may encourage his young ones to choose us.

Not sure if anyone saw after the open training session today but little Charlie Swallow (2036) already looks lightyears ahead of where he should be in terms of footballing ability. Very advanced with his kicking and should start playing junior footy at some point over the next few years.

Is mother/son a rule yet
Not yet. Give it a few more years and a test case will appear.

Not sure if anyone saw after the open training session today but little Charlie Swallow (2036) already looks lightyears ahead of where he should be in terms of footballing ability. Very advanced with his kicking and should start playing junior footy at some point over the next few years.

I didn't realise you are a talent scout.

Dude, the way my daughter smashed the monkey bars at 5yo, I’d sworn she’d have a gymnastic gold medallist by now.

Gary Ablett Jr and his partner just had another baby boy. No name announced yet but he will of course be father-son eligible for both our club and the Cats in 2041.

With all this recent talk of the father-son rule and how it advantages clubs, I thought it would be good to check back in to this thread. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but 2024 is the first year in which Kai Rischitelli can join our academy pathway as an 11 year old in our U12s team. Right?

Harrison Macleski is a part of the same draft class and although Nick didn't play 100 games for us, Dimma just brought Nick back into the fold so perhaps we can pull off a Nick Blakey scenario where his son chooses to be academy drafted to us instead of father-son to the Swans. Kai was born on the GC and has lived here his whole life meanwhile Harrison moved here as a one-year-old and has lived here ever since so these two are very much Gold Coast juniors in every sense. Both currently play junior footy at Broadbeach.

Hopefully both are included in our U12s academy team this year and we can fast track some father-son prospects of our own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back