Game Day Practice Game: Footscray/Western Bulldogs vs. Northern/Carlton Blues, Friday 7th March @ Visy Park

Remove this Banner Ad

From someone who got there just before half time in the AFL game thanks to traffic, here's my 5 cents....

On the plus side like many others I thought Higgins and Mcrae were the brightest lights... Mcrae's 3rd quarter was sensational (not as good as Libba but just as if not more effective), the kid in my mind is best 22 and a certain round 1 starter (not exactly ground breaking news). Higgins moved great and used the ball well for most part, still not sure about his defensive side (he's not instinctively defensively minded is what I mean) and tries to do a little to much at times but none the less was very influential.

The other person who caught my eye, well two actually is Jong and Honeychurch. Jong used the ball as good as anyone in the second half, hitting targets both long and short. He's hard and quick and will be close come round 1 (assuming he can be promoted). Honeychurch worked tirelessly and goes in like a man possessed but forgets he's built like a 12 year old... He's a parent killer if I've ever seen one. Hardness aside he gives it a roost for a little bloke and isn't slow... If he can avoid injury I'm certain he'll get a taste at some point this year.

Other observations, I thought Crameri wasn't as bad as some thought, he found himself one out in the forward half a couple times with only Ruckmen come wanna be forwards for assistance... I think the person most likely to benefit from him playing in our forward line is not Liam Jones but Jarrad Grant..!!!

Stevens impressed, Wallis did a bit but gave away two frees off the ball to Smurphy (God the umps love him), Goodes was solid as to Wood (he actually hit Gia lace out just before half time which was amazing). Libba (a bowing of the head followed by silence should occur evey time his name is mentioned) was crazy in that third quarter. Cooney was cruzing in second yet still turned the game late in the third (best I've seen him for 4/5 years)..

Minson looked a little disinterested and was well beaten again, Warnock got his hands on the the pill more often than not and caused him some headaches.

Lastly (remember this only what I saw in the second half) I thought Cordy was quiet. He just doesn't have enough presence on the ground... He needs to demand more, fly for everything and throw himself around a bit...

King

King, Tutt is a very good kick, he can kick 55 meters and break linesoo, but his problems are. Clean hands, he tends to take of before he has control, and as a result FUMBLES.
People on here talk about decision making with Wood, this is the bloke with the real decision making problem. Can it be fixed, I think so, a lot of it is confidence, gained only by playing.
Are they going to play him, that is the big question.

An unpopular but accurate assessment black pup (... as yours so often are ;) )

Tutt is one of the few who can kick outside 50 from a set shot.
I not saying he is a champion, read the post I said he makes mistakes. But if it all comes together he has the ability to really add something which our team still lacks…pace.
Tutt played some good games last year, granted it was up and down yet there is improvement there.

Sorry but Tutt did not play any good games last year , not in the Afl that is.
I know I am one of the few on this board that thinks most of you grossly overrate him , because he is apparently fast .
How do you rate his practice match form ? I put it to you there is no improvement on the last 2 years.

Sorry but Tutt did not play any good games last year , not in the Afl that is.
I know I am one of the few on this board that thinks most of you grossly overrate him , because he is apparently fast .
How do you rate his practice match form ? I put it to you there is no improvement on the last 2 years.

I'm with you KH. I didn't like what I saw in the Carlton game from Tutt. Got taken to task for having that view at the time also mind you (in this thread).

King

King, Tutt is a very good kick, he can kick 55 meters and break linesoo, but his problems are. Clean hands, he tends to take of before he has control, and as a result FUMBLES.
People on here talk about decision making with Wood, this is the bloke with the real decision making problem. Can it be fixed, I think so, a lot of it is confidence, gained only by playing.
Are they going to play him, that is the big question.

Agree with all that except for the part about it being mostly confidence. It's a skill set which he doesn't possess and it's rarely something you can fix especially from someone that also tends to panic.

I'd much prefer we played Bontempelli, Hrovat etc over Tutt as I just don't think he has what it takes.

"Liberatore feeds it out to Bontempelli, sidesteps a couple, spears it to Crameri.........goal!!!!!!!!!'

Superman_Italian_Flag_Black_Shirt.jpg

Crameri isnt Italian but theres also Talia and Giansiracusa with Italian surnames

Agree with all that except for the part about it being mostly confidence. It's a skill set which he doesn't possess and it's rarely something you can fix especially from someone that also tends to panic.

I'd much prefer we played Bontempelli, Hrovat etc over Tutt as I just don't think he has what it takes.

Thanks Chris and Bliizzard, I thought I was going completely mad and was missing something the rest on this board are clearly seeing.

Wrong thread but no where else to put it really. After reading the round 1 thread on the weagles board, geez I hope we ******* win!

Nobody was excited about our chances in R1 2013 either though - Brisbane had stormed through the pre-season until they ran into a 10 goal hiding from us in R1.

Wrong thread but no where else to put it really. After reading the round 1 thread on the weagles board, geez I hope we ******* win!
Haha - I haven't read it but I wouldn't take it too seriously. West Coast fans (at least on BF) are generally a pretty good group. Face-Off thread against the Eagles last year was one of the highlights I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha - I haven't read it but I wouldn't take it too seriously. West Coast fans (at least on BF) are generally a pretty good group. Face-Off thread against the Eagles last year was one of the highlights I reckon.
Its not too bad, just most of them think they will win by 10 + goals which will make it sweeter if we win haha, agree that WC fans are usually pretty good.

You know where I stand on the matter king. I'm rooting for him though.

And fair enough Fronky , believe or not so am I. While ever he wears a Bulldog jumper , I will be hoping he makes it. But for gods sake his past and current form don't warrant the support he gets from most here.
Some are saying he should be a walk up start for the first game on the basis that he is fast.
I know I just need to let it go !

Its not too bad, just most of them think they will win by 10 + goals which will make it sweeter if we win haha, agree that WC fans are usually pretty good.
It's pretty funny going through that thread now. The OP is quite brilliant, and the second post is ridiculous.
I'd be disappointed but not surprised if we went down by a lot, but I wouldn't be surprised either if we manage to grab a win. Clog it up enough around the stoppages and position well around the contest which has been an issue in recent years, and therefore cut off the supply to the freaks Kennedy and Darling up forward, and we're a very good chance.
It's always been in their nature though to be overconfident, but it just makes it more satisfying when we win and less painful when we lose because they just expected it.

Tim Gossage (?) was just on SEN saying WC just win their first game easily. While I am not confident about the game, people seem to overrate WC based on some NAB form, their midfield was bottom 4 last year. Looking at tips most have them winning by 6 goals +. And we seem to be underrated in that no one is really predicting us to be competitive in this game. I find it hard to understand and think our game style will make us competitive in most games.

Tim Gossage (?) was just on SEN saying WC just win their first game easily. While I am not confident about the game, people seem to overrate WC based on some NAB form, their midfield was bottom 4 last year. Looking at tips most have them winning by 6 goals +. And we seem to be underrated in that no one is really predicting us to be competitive in this game. I find it hard to understand and think our game style will make us competitive in most games.

West Coast did have a lot of injuries last year, including their forwardline in Lecras and Kennedy. Kennedy alone can kill us when he is on wish we could get him.

West Coast did have a lot of injuries last year, including their forwardline in Lecras and Kennedy. Kennedy alone can kill us when he is on wish we could get him.
Yeah true, I just don't think they are as good as what people are making out. As I said I don't think we'll win this game, I'm just surprised at how much and how easily everyone is predicting us to lose by.

My worry with the WCE game is twofold:
1. Their ball movement, especially under Simpson, is one of the fastest in the league. We struggle to combat this due to both a lack of foot speed and inconsistent defending.
2. They have about 43 tall forwards. They are likely to play Darling (through the midfield and up forward), Cox (ruck and resting forward), Naitanui (likely forward only), Kennedy (forward) and then one or maybe both of Lycett/Sinclair (forward and ruck). Morris plays better small, Roughead will likely take Cox when he's forward but isn't a great matchup for the others, Talia will battle hard all day but again isn't a great matchup, Young will get soundly beaten by their running power, Wood plays better small, etc etc. As with the Melbourne game, when the opposition plays super tall we struggle to match up.
We've simply got to win the midfield, and to do that we have to defend and position a lot better than we were in the pre-season. Lose the midfield battle and it could get ugly.

Minson needs a lot of support against a pair like Naitanui and Cox on the Subiaco oval. Last year Cox and Minson had a great battle in the first half, but Cox ran Will ragged in the second half, and naitanui came on as sub and had an easy time of it against a tired Minson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back