MVP Pre Season v Port Players Review

Remove this Banner Ad

BeornJ

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Votes seem too much as it was a match sim but let's talk about how players went.

This is what I noticed:

Ryan. Looks in AA form. Found a lot of it, very classy
Yeo. He's back! Too early to tell if he'll reach the heights of 17-19 but very good to have him back.
Gov. looks great. Fit and firing
Hewett. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but I think he had some good highlights.
O’Neill. Very impressed. Seemed poised, good decision maker. Think he is in for a good year
Hunt. Has fitted in very well into the team. Might be our first recruit to have a good impact in his first transfer year.
Chesser. good highlights. Hopefully he is able to play at least 10 AFL games this year.
Williams still has his dumb moments but was good at clearance work

JHF. Given plenty of time in the CBD fed his confidence and ego . Good template for Hewitt for his 2nd year maybe even earlier if his body can handle it .
Ryan , Kelly stood out for mine Hurn McGovern Barrass very solid .
I don't believe much can be read into the playing system with match fitness at this time of the year affecting this . Winning is more fun which also builds confidence and everyone is better for the hitout .
Good outcome no negatives ,look forward to next practice game .

Just had a read through the Port thread on the game.

Lol. They arent happy even with it being a practice simulation game.

Knives are out in numbers for Hinkley and Georgiades copping a bashing.

So well worth the read.;):thumbsu::tearsofjoy:
They went from wanting pick 10 for Georgiades in the off season to dropping him to sanfl after 1 pre season 'game'

Neither Rucks really impressed too much but I think BJ definitely faired better against Lycett purely in hitout performance. Jamieson struggled to impact hit outs but had much better effort than BW with his follow on when the ball went to ground. Also faired better in the forward with the chaos ball entries with clean hands and pickup. Both have the opposite weaknesses to eachover and the first that fills that gap in next week's match is going to get game time in round 1 if NN is fit.

One thing I will say is neither have any sort of idea of where to position themselves and how to read the ball at boundary throw ins. Both position themselves too far back and allowed Scotty to take front position everytime. BW also gets lost covering in the midfield when oppo are kicking out, doesn't seem to know where the contest will be.

Hopefully this is the last time we see of an inside midfield containing either gaff or sheed, we had to play them first quarter so the kids had enough in the tank to play another half afterwards, but the glaring difference between the first and second half is enough said. Think with Ginbey contending selection next week there's no chance we see a repeat of that first quarters effort.

Ryan obviously is back to his 21 form and looks like a much better fit for the high half forward role than the FF people were chirping about the other week after the Darling injury.

Kelly looking pretty good when surrounded by midfielders who can actually get the ball, seems to have good synergy with chesser and Yeo. Loved his two goals might be early signs of a Geelong Kelly returning with the complete shift in game style somewhat emerging.

Hunt was very impressive as well, very good ball user not a lot of turnovers and calm under pressure took the game on. Good glimpses of his speed but didn't overuse it and catch himself in trouble. Love to see what him and Jones can do with their speed.

Also was impressed with SPS seemed to fit nicely in at forward pocket and set up a few goals with clean hands underpressure.

Not as much to say about Allen he was doing well despite being constantly outnumbered by oppo defence. Neither waterman or BW really presented anything forward so Allen got the outnumber every time. Will be really good I reckon when JD is back in the side, both could have big years.

Mcgovern and Barrass have the backline locked down and will be crucial to our success. Reckon we have a chance against most teams with both fit and firing. There are a lot of teams who will have to rethink their forward fifty entries with those two down there.

The youth look the goods, chesser and hewett are both mature beyond their years and could easily play round 1 if their tank is up to it. Long spent a bit of time in the backline before getting benched to play period 5 and 6, don't see him playing their in the future looked a bit lost and I hope we find him a spot in the forward line next week

Ryan 3 Kelley 2 Hunt 1

Those three were our most consistent but considering how many interchange rotations there were with the 6 "quarters" it was harder to judge.

Was he that quiet or am I right that waterman didn't come on into late third or at the start of 4th quarter? From then on he did very well.

Yeah didn't come on until the 4th IIRC and then didn't do too bad from there.

Was he that quiet or am I right that waterman didn't come on into late third or at the start of 4th quarter? From then on he did very well.
Waterman didn’t play at all until the last quarter

Played all of the later game and dominated

Go to their board now and suggest we get him on the cheap and they'll be like..."but yeah...but nah...but!"View attachment 1615471

Haha one poster went on about how s**t he is and then ended the post with something like ahh well eagles gonna have to cough up your top 10 pick this year for him 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I will say is neither have any sort of idea of where to position themselves and how to read the ball at boundary throw ins. Both position themselves too far back and allowed Scotty to take front position everytime.

Agree with this - typically when a ruck knows they're outmatched/outsized at a throw-in (like if Lycett himself was up against NN) the smart play is to do the boring thing - get front position, lock things up and force a draw where no matter who gets the hitout it'll probably hit the ground in front.

Nic himself is so good at reading it that he can afford to position more aggressively. I wonder if that's how Jamo and BW are being coached - to be aggressive and take those losses especially in preseason. Since they're both athletic rucks it might be the best way for them to develop, they both looked pretty good at centre bounces when they knew where the ball was going to be. But if we were playing a final tomorrow I'd want them to focus more on getting in front and nullifying.

They should be unhappy.

Port have a squad that is playing well below its level of talent and a major reason for that is the way Hinkley is setting them up during matches.

Ryan obviously is back to his 21 form and looks like a much better fit for the high half forward role than the FF people were chirping about the other week after the Darling injury.

Thank you

Spot on. Ryan looks fitter than ever and give him space to lose his opponent he will be very dangerous and productive.

He may rest forward at times but that high half forward role he could end up as AA.

Geez, now the Port ferals are saying Gov should be reported for the clash with Boak. Then someone said he got his fist to the ball.

Silence......then nah.....he's a snake, should get weeks.

I mentioned Gov was just showing Jonas how to spoil within the rules of the game. And dont take it personally as Gov cleaned up Darling at training too.

There are some serious muppets over there.

Noah Long has very good reaction and good hands and speed of hand to foot. Used it well too. There is a lot to work with

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hewett only came on in the last as well.

Anyone know if he played the extra periods like Waterman?

Hewett also played the later game, mostly as a forward but some time in the middle. Was pulled out of the game about halfway through the last

Petruccelle, Hough, Long, Rotham, HEdwards, West, O’Neill and Culley all played the second game after playing either a quarter or half of the first match

Hewett also played the later game, mostly as a forward but some time in the middle. Was pulled out of the game about halfway through the last

Petruccelle, Hough, Long, Rotham, HEdwards, West, O’Neill and Culley all played the second game after playing either a quarter or half of the first match

No Trew? He was listed to play, I thought (which seemed strange)

Noah Long has very good reaction and good hands and speed of hand to foot. Used it well too. There is a lot to work with

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

He does remind me a lot of Schulz from Cockburn which may me dry retch a bit.

No Trew? He was listed to play, I thought (which seemed strange)

Trew played the second game as well as LEdwards, Burgiel, Winder and Foley. None of that group played any minutes in the first game

Geez, now the Port ferals are saying Gov should be reported for the clash with Boak. Then someone said he got his fist to the ball.

Silence......then nah.....he's a snake, should get weeks.

I mentioned Gov was just showing Jonas how to spoil within the rules of the game. And dont take it personally as Gov cleaned up Darling at training too.

There are some serious muppets over there.

81C8750C-0D78-4967-9FBA-02DEBF068AD2.jpeg

Instead of going at the ball, Boak propped in an attempt to protect the drop of the ball. Gov just jumped over him to spoil.

At the game I (incorrectly) called for a blocking free against Boak because that’s essentially what he did

Should have just gone for the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back