Presenting the Norm Smith Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

What's so objective about the Brownlow Medal pray tell?

How on earth could a midfield rover who kicked 91 goals in a season not win the Brownlow Medal, or even finish top 3, if it were objective in any sense whatsoever?

Sorry I'm not trying to be sarcastic, was a genuine question – the AFL have never awarded a league B&F for seasons prior to the Brownlow, obviously.

Do you mean awards like retrospective 'Leading Goalkicker' awards etc?

Sorry I'm not trying to be sarcastic, was a genuine question – the AFL have never awarded a league B&F for seasons prior to the Brownlow, obviously.

Do you mean awards like retrospective 'Leading Goalkicker' awards etc?

Retrospective awards aren't as uncommon as one might think....Roughly a decade ago, they went back & awarded them to those who lost on a count-back at the Brownlow….My own club Hawthorn did the same thing with drawn Best & Fairests a few years ago....For eg: Peter Knights in 1978....Indeed, as historians discover more About clubs' histories, old Best & Fairests from the 1920's & 1930's are also being re-cast accordingly.

The Norm Smith is awarded to Best on Ground on the day of a Grand Final, prefaced upon the votes of 5 peer arbitrators…..I can see no clear reason or impediment for why that process can't be applied upon those same principles in retrospect.....Indeed, there is no clear reason or argument for why it ought not to be, given the Availability of all the necessary requirements to do so.

The AFL needs to get it's act together & it's Arse into gear upon the matter....It's sense of historical significance & consistency on this matter, is in need of honing & A tune-up.

Retrospective awards aren't as uncommon as one might think....Roughly a decade ago, they went back & awarded them to those who lost on a count-back at the Brownlow….My own club Hawthorn did the same thing with drawn Best & Fairests a few years ago....For eg: Peter Knights in 1978....Indeed, as historians discover more About clubs' histories, old Best & Fairests from the 1920's & 1930's are also being re-cast accordingly.

The Norm Smith is awarded to Best on Ground on the day of a Grand Final, prefaced upon the votes of 5 peer arbitrators…..I can see no clear reason or impediment for why that process can't be applied upon those same principles in retrospect.....Indeed, there is no clear reason or argument for why it ought not to be, given the Availability of all the necessary requirements to do so.

The AFL needs to get it's act together & it's Arse into gear upon the matter....It's sense of historical significance & consistency on this matter, is in need of honing & A tune-up.

I actually agree with your stance and would like to see retrospective awarding of such honours. Perhaps the same could be done for All-Australian teams... maybe? It would certainly help elevate the careers of pre-1979 players to casual football followers.

Jim Main attempted such a task in his now long-out-of-print book When It Matters Most (although a few second-hand copies are available here), except he sourced newspaper reports of the time to come up with a consensus view. Probably not a bad way to go about it.

I actually agree with your stance and would like to see retrospective awarding of such honours. Perhaps the same could be done for All-Australian teams... maybe? It would certainly help elevate the careers of pre-1979 players to casual football followers.

Jim Main attempted such a task in his now long-out-of-print book When It Matters Most (although a few second-hand copies are available here), except he sourced newspaper reports of the time to come up with a consensus view. Probably not a bad way to go about it.

Yep....How many people realise that Bertie Dipierdomenico was the clear best on ground in the 1978 Grand Final; & that he only got A gig in the starting 18 that day, due to David 'Rubber' O'Halloran doing his knee in the Second Semi final?....That's the stuff of legend.

I reckon the time is well over-due for them to award it retrospectively via the same process....Have 5 nominated blokes (Respected football people) drawn from a hat of say 50 nominees, & sit down & watch each Grand Final & vote on it at the end of each Grand Final....How difficult could it be?...Then re-draw 5 more names for each year on a rotating policy.....That way you spread the load & no one gets exhausted.....It could get done alot quicker that way. With the provision that no player from either team represented can be in the group of 5 voting on each game.

Having it awarded retrospectively, would mean awarding it to dead people.

Is it just for the history books ?

What's done is done, no one is talking about retrospective gary ayres medals or jock mchale medals etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back