JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Is there a small possibility that one day that this ground will be turned into a smaller boutique stadium? I still think Melb is short of one ground. renovate it, bring the capacity up to 30K and have teams such as Bulldogs, Melb, Carlton and maybe a couple of others play their smaller drawing games at Princes park.

Thoughts?

Would cost way too much to do up. It was horrid 5yrs ago when I was last there. Can't imagine they have done much to improve it since. The Legends Stand is a bigger white elephant than Waverley was. It has the best location though. At least close to public transport with some parking.

Not sure what potential Whitten Oval has for redevelopment but it does have the train close in its favour. No parking?

They'd be better off with Ballarat and extending a train line there much like the Showgrounds line in Melbourne and only use for special events.

I would have thought the following would be the only real options for Princes Park to become an AFL venue again (excluding the obvious improvements needed to the venue itself):

- Metro rail tunnel to provide a line accessing the area
- Ownership and therefore costs to redevelop to be moved to the AFL

The first hasn't happened and doesn't appear likely given our Governments inability to achieve significant PT infrastructure improvements recently
The second seems unlikely given the AFL will own Docklands Stadium - what would be their incentive, and therefore the other teams incentive?

The local council and residents ruled out the ground being used as an AFL venue years ago.

Besides there's no need you can fit any game that's will fit there unit Etihad.

You would have to spend heaps on it. I went there the other year for the suburb leagues rep competition and the joint is a hole. You would need a complete rebuild to bring it in to the 21st century

I'd like to see it purely for the nostalgia value. But the MCG and Etihad are world class stadiums. Why not use the MCG and only open the bottom level for lower drawing games? Would look full for the TV and create a great atmosphere

As a Blues supporter who lives within walking distance of Princes Park, I'd love to see a return to action down there. It's just not cost-effective at all. I don't know how many millions it would take to transform it into a modern stadium.

Would cost a LOT to bring it up to standard.
What's the standard? Not every stadium needs to super modern world class.

Would be good to see Carlton play back there for a few games. Wouldn't want Melbourne playing there for a home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about a billion dollar industry, I think they could find the money to get it up to standard quite easily if they wanted, but obviously the AFL are happy with the G and the dome as well as playing games around the country I.e tassie, cairns, Darwin, Canberra

What's the standard? Not every stadium needs to super modern world class.

Well given the AFL plays games with exposed bolts, ovals without lawn etc etc I'm sure it'd not take too much effort.

A building site should do?

******* amateur league sometimes....

If the Blues were to update the seating and facilities and use it as their secondary home ground to play lower drawing teams like Fremantle, GC, GWS and Brisbane at I think it would be perfect. Games would have to be at daytime due to the locals banning light towers but it would be a great profit turner for Carlton by avoiding games at Etihad (unless the financial losses associated with Etihad finish when the AFL gains ownership soon)

Would much rather play there than at Etihad to be honest at least we have history at Princes Park. We had a home game at Etihad against Port last year for no reason, last time I am ever going to Etihad.

This stuff sounds fine but once the novelty wears off, and that won't take long, people will stop going due to the pricier tickets, inferior facilities and transport options.

It works in pre-season games as a nostalgia trip in warm weather.

As a Blues supporter who lives within walking distance of Princes Park, I'd love to see a return to action down there. It's just not cost-effective at all. I don't know how many millions it would take to transform it into a modern stadium.
$200,000,000.00

And Carlton would have to find an alternative training venue.

Weren't the Dee's planning on moving into the University a year or so ago? Is that sill on the cards?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back