Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish argument. Brisbane and Sydney didn't try to steal another club's colours and logo. They were relocated clubs. Port Power was a newly created entity. It has a Power logo, although it seems to be disappearing. Strange that. It has teal as it predominant colour, but that seems to be disappearing too. It's just so obvious what Port Adelaide is up to. All very underhanded and sly. It has no hope at all of succeeding. Best to embrace your future and move on.

You forgot to mention that we’ve removed our magpies logo at SANFL level as well when creating the unified club logo for use at AFL and SANFL level. With a bigger emphasis on the Port Adelaide name and less on nicknames.

So your claim of us trying to make our nickname the Magpies is complete rubbish. Get that out of your head.

David Koch has conned Port fans to think the club has a right to wear black and white stripes. The club has no such right and this was clearly established last week. Port is not permitted to wear a jumper just because it wants to. You're right that the matter isn't going away though; Koch keeps bleating about it. Both sides will need a compromise and as much as it sticks in my throat, once a year in Port's home Showdown should do the trick. This establishes the historical perspective, which is already clearly evident to anybody with a pair of eyes. When Port rejects this compromise, it will expose the club's real motives; to wear the black and white stripes whenever it feels like it. It's never going to happen.
Your posts are either a poor excuse at trolling or sheer pigheadedness, maybe try opening your eyes and reading the discussion other than just shitposting

Just to further elaborate:

"After winning the 1994 tender for an AFL Licence, an agreement was made with the SANFL to field two separate clubs in the SANFL and AFL. However, the other SANFL clubs did not want the reserves side to gain any use of the senior side in the AFL's resources out of fear its advantages would be too strong in the SANFL.[143] As a result, for the first few years after 1997, Port Adelaide's SANFL side, which was now a separate legal entity known as the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club, was forced to train at Ethelton to ensure they would not gain any advantage using the Alberton training facilities,[144]"

I'm not trolling anybody. I'm trying to have a rational debate. A few points:
•Port's scarves, which are held up proudly before each home games, have a magpie logo on them. To suggest nobody wants to steal the magpie is just disingenuous.
•Port's staff uniform is black with a PA logo with white stripes with a smidgen of teal.

To renege on contracts just because you feel like it, doesn't pass the moral or legal test. A condition of entry to the AFL was that the club could not wear black and white stripes nor use the magpie icon. Both were already taken.

Genuine question, and spare us a little leeway here as it's hard to keep up with, but is the Power icon not Port Adelaide's official moniker?

Collingwood has now come out very strongly to protect its brand and rightly so. I'm guessing somewhere down the track that it may agree to a compromise to allow Port to wear the jumper once a year, but it may not if Koch and Co. keep playing tricky buggers as they are currently doing.

This design is an excellent compromise; the prison bars are there and the official colours are taken care of. Importantly, it doesn't infringe AFL trademarks nor upset Collingwood. Done!

Port Design.png

You forgot to mention that we’ve removed our magpies logo at SANFL level as well when creating the unified club logo for use at AFL and SANFL level. With a bigger emphasis on the Port Adelaide name and less on nicknames.

So your claim of us trying to make our nickname the Magpies is complete rubbish. Get that out of your head.
Utter nonsense. I have eyes and at every Port game I see the magpie on scarves everywhere. You cannot deny this. Is it official club merchandise that the club profits from, or are they bootleg items?

Says he isn’t a troll then posts teal prison bars
So anybody who who has a different opinion is labelled a troll. Nice! Moderators must be difficult to find over there. The teal prison bars is a neat compromise. That is, if the argument is really about prison bars and not really black and white stripes.

Utter nonsense. I have eyes and at every Port game I see the magpie on scarves everywhere. You cannot deny this. Is it official club merchandise that the club profits from, or are they bootleg items?
It has the old SANFL magpie logo on one side and the old AFL power logo on the other with never tear us apart in the middle. They are old scarves now because we've got a unified club logo.
Port_Adelaide_Football_Club_Scarf.jpg

Last edited:
So anybody who who has a different opinion is labelled a troll. Nice! Moderators must be difficult to find over there. The teal prison bars is a neat compromise. That is, if the argument is really about prison bars and not really black and white stripes.
How many times do Port fans have to say no to teal Prison Bars. Read the thread.

Says he isn’t a troll then posts teal prison bars
In fairness to Apples, that particular post made sense. Collingwood do have a right to protect their brand, which is the magpies moniker and associated imagery, and black and white vertical stripes. What Collingwood don't have a right to are the colours black and white. That would never hold up in a court.

I believe Port can successfully bring back the prison bar jumper but not in its current design. Casual observers can and do confuse the two. The less white on the jumper, the less it looks like Collingwood and the less Collingwood's argument stands up. That was the premise behind my thinner bars jumper.

Right, wrong or indifferent, Collingwood are the incumbents in the AFL it is on Port to work around that, not Collingwood.

In fairness to Apples, that particular post made sense. Collingwood do have a right to protect their brand, which is the magpies moniker and associated imagery, and black and white vertical stripes. What Collingwood don't have a right to are the colours black and white. That would never hold up in a court.

I believe Port can successfully bring back the prison bar jumper but not in its current design. Casual observers can and do confuse the two. The less white on the jumper, the less it looks like Collingwood and the less Collingwood's argument stands up. That was the premise behind my thinner bars jumper.

Right, wrong or indifferent, Collingwood are the incumbents in the AFL it is on Port to work around that, not Collingwood.
Thinner bars works because it's based on our 1914 jumper.

As for a random TV viewer getting confused. When you click on the channel it says "Port Adelaide vs Adelaide" on the TV guide. The scoreboard in the corner says "Port Adelaide". The oval is Adelaide Oval. Travis Boak is kicking inside 50 to Charlie Dixon. There are numerous clear things to pick out. That's all before you get to the Prison Bars.

Another note is, Port fans that watch SANFL at Alberton Oval can't even buy Prison Bars with the SANFL league logo and SANFL sponsors on it anymore.

It's an absolute farce.
Cam Sutcliffe - Port Adelaide - SANFL

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

•Port's staff uniform is black with a PA logo with white stripes with a smidgen of teal.
St Kilda’s polo shirts are black and white with a smidgen of red. What’s your point?

Thinner bars works because it's based on our 1914 jumper.

As for a random TV viewer getting confused. When you click on the channel it says "Port Adelaide vs Adelaide" on the TV guide. The scoreboard in the corner says "Port Adelaide". The oval is Adelaide Oval. Travis Boak is kicking inside 50 to Charlie Dixon. There are numerous clear things to pick out. That's all before you get to the Prison Bars.
I understand that however the way intellectual property works is that if you held the two jumpers up side by side to someone who isn't a footy fan, would they be confused? For some, the answer is yes and that's ultimately why this debate exists. There are people out there who don't know footy and will confuse the current iteration of the prison bar jumper for Collingwood.

A lot of these arguments may sound absurd to us footy fans but this is how IP law works.

Yeah, this. If there is actually someone out there who would tune in to a game & legitimately wonder why Collingwood is playing a home match at the Adelaide Oval, with a new, reworked jumper & has seemingly poached a large portion of the Port Adelaide player pool then they should probably stop watching the sport altogether. For the most part, even the most casual of casual fans can identify which team is which within the space of 20 seconds, no matter which sport it is they're watching.

There was actually a fellow posting in the PBs debate thread in the Collingwood subforum who openly admitted that when he tunes in to a soccer game & sees a team with black & white stripes playing he just assumes it's Juventus. Personally, I find it mind-boggling that any sports fan could possibly be ignorant/naïve to such an extent. I quoted his post to ask him who he thought was playing when he sees a team wearing red kits, but my post was deleted for some strange reason (lol).

Fact of the matter is, the onus is on you the fan to be capable of, at least, discerning the difference between Collingwood's jumper & the PB's. Most of us were able to achieve this when we were kids.

Last edited:
I really don't understand the massive objection to teal bars on black. It looks good and is just so unmistakably Port Adelaide from an identity point of view.

I understand Port supporters unilaterally want the black and white bars but it's simply not going to happen. When realise that, the teal bars are a great option.

1620188730559.png

If you don't think that's a faithful symbol of Port Adelaide - both in their SANFL and AFL guises - then I don't know what you're looking at. It's unmistakably Port Adelaide.

I really don't understand the massive objection to teal bars on black. It looks good and is just so unmistakably Port Adelaide from an identity point of view.

I understand Port supporters unilaterally want the black and white bars but it's simply not going to happen. When realise that, the teal bars are a great option.

View attachment 1119096

If you don't think that's a faithful symbol of Port Adelaide - both in their SANFL and AFL guises - then I don't know what you're looking at. It's unmistakably Port Adelaide.
I agree. Not to mention had Port opted for this back in 1997 they would have had almost 25 years worth of history behind that jumper to boot.

View attachment 1119096

Make the neck black or white and the cuffs white.
What does the white number square look as teal?

I'm led to believe Port originally designed Teal Prison Bars for their 1997 season but the AFL and Collingwood said no.
Eddie is not happy that we wear silver jumpers either. Can't wear black, white or silver in his eyes.

Seems to be a lot of reverence for the original Port AFL home jumper. Whilst I can see where that comes from to an extent (it is after all a jumper the team won a flag wearing), I've always thought it to be massively campy & full of 90's trendy crap, even when I first saw it as a kid in '97. The diagonal lines (thunder bolts?) being uneven & crooked in relation to one another always annoyed me lol.

Both the 1997 away jumper & pre-season jumper were superior designs imo.

Just gonna throw some fuel on fire..

[Non PB related] It does feel like PA are drifting away from the Power moniker. Some early Power kits weren't well-received but now they're collector's items (on eBay recently, 2004 & 2007 away retails went for $150 and $140 respectively). The Simpsons reference is bang on, I'd like to see another out there, thunderous teal based away/3rd instead of a greyscale recolour though the silver does look tough

I think you'll find a lot of leagues govern what jumpers can be worn and when, its rarely a free for all.

Lets just prefix the next part by saying, yes I am a Collingwood supporter.

But what gets me is the whole selling prison bar jumpers for commercial gain, which is in breach of the signed agreement.

Just like most things in life, if you want something changed its much easier to play by the rules and build some trust. Going rogue is only going to anger those that have input into the decision.

For that reason alone, I'm comfortable with the current stance.
The fact that the AFL removed heritage round the year after the agreement means the contract should be considered null and void. Especially given they knew it'd be removed. Therefore I don't think any of the other sections should be considered relevant when the circumstances changed that quickly.

Back