Moved Thread Prisons and sentences

Remove this Banner Ad

The US then seem soft on white collar crime, someone with a Ponzi scheme will rip millions of dollars from investors, often the complete life savings off the people that can least afford it and cop something pathetic like 10 years.

Those same white collar crims give political donations and went to the same schools as many of the criminals that make up the political and corporate systems.

You're either in the club or you're not.

Those same white collar crims give political donations and went to the same schools as many of the criminals that make up the political and corporate systems.

You're either in the club or you're not.

No those ones don't end up in prison at all, house arrest is quite fun in the palace.

You wouldn't want to commit a crime in the state of Texas, the sentences that they give often seem excessive to say the least.

I bet thats because they're privately owned. It would be in their best interests to make sure people get locked up, and stay locked up.

What about having a Prison loan. Like University loans. when people exit prison, they start paying the bill, not tax payers.

I'd also look into throwing out a majority of first time offenders, not sure how much they do this already.

I'd also look at putting 10X as much money into mental health services.

I know a guy recently released from prison after serving seven years for drink driving.Tragically he had a car accident in which his six year old son was killed.He was over .05 but not by much.I'm definitely not condoning what he did but he will have to live with this for the rest of his life and apart from this one very stupid and tragic mistake ,the guy IMO is a decent run of the mill bloke and this was his only brush with the law ever.He was given seven years and didn't serve a day less and heres the anomily i am trying to highlight.He never meant to harm anyone let alone kill his own son but was given seven years with no chance of release before then ,yet these guys who go around king-hitting people like the 18yr old coward in Rye last week who killed that young fellow, get a good lawyer ,and i'm tipping this dog will get 12 mths if anything at all if the courts run true to form.Both alcohol fuelled crimes but the king -hitter actually meant to harm somebody was intent on causing injury yet it will be probably be considered a lesser crime even though in truth neither meant to cause death.

I know a guy recently released from prison after serving seven years for drink driving.Tragically he had a car accident in which his six year old son was killed.He was over .05 but not by much.I'm definitely not condoning what he did but he will have to live with this for the rest of his life and apart from this one very stupid and tragic mistake ,the guy IMO is a decent run of the mill bloke and this was his only brush with the law ever.He was given seven years and didn't serve a day less and heres the anomily i am trying to highlight.He never meant to harm anyone let alone kill his own son but was given seven years with no chance of release before then ,yet these guys who go around king-hitting people like the 18yr old coward in Rye last week who killed that young fellow, get a good lawyer ,and i'm tipping this dog will get 12 mths if anything at all if the courts run true to form.Both alcohol fuelled crimes but the king -hitter actually meant to harm somebody was intent on causing injury yet it will be probably be considered a lesser crime even though in truth neither meant to cause death.

The whole legal system is screwed up. Hackers and drug dealers get more than rapists, pedophiles and murderers. With this case you mentioned, would it have made a difference if he blew .045??? Both from a legal perspective, and a responsible perspective.

I know people will shoot me down for this, but there should be a 0.1 alcohol limit when driving. I know myself I can have just one beer or cider or whatever on a hot day and start feeling the effects of alcohol. I do know, by reading my insurance policy, they won't pay out with ANY alcohol.

Was his son named Jyden, perchance?

If so, you may wish to check your facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't want to commit a crime in the state of Texas, the sentences that they give often seem excessive to say the least.
Obviously Texans seem to like a bit of time out at the Governor's pleasure!
A grand for littering channels Arlo Guthrie.
slide_19186_263598_large.jpg

Despite the severity of the penalties, 2011 figures still sees them ranked as 6th worst U.S. state in the civil Peace Index as reported in the Huffington Post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back