Gym & Misc Program for increased vertical and speed

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Hey guys,

I'm 6'3/6'4 (haven't measured myself in a while) and still growing. I'm right into basketball and hope to play at a high level in juniors (come October). I'm looking to begin weights training as I'm very skinny (think Durant in HS but skinnier), strength can be an issue, I want to dunk the basketball (as I definitely should be at my height) and I also just want to be faster and more explosive.

Is anyone able to recommend a program of some sort for a beginner?

the best resource out there is the vertical bible by kelly baggett - by an absolute mile...it's 30 bucks or so for memory i got it about a year ago when it came out

skinnier then Durant now is bad enough, let alone HS!! can you shoot like him though...

there's a few steps to it really and that's it

if your naturally plyometric like most basketballers then strength is your weakness and training that really on it's own will do more than anything else will regardless of what you read or get told...you'll be getting more then enough plyometric activity during bball games/training so you won't want to waste your time there

so start with single leg training using this progression;

high box step ups (front leg at least 90 degrees at the hip) x 20 reps each leg
split squats x 20 reps each leg
reverse lunges x 20 reps each leg
bulgarian split squats x 20 reps each leg
walking lunge x 20 reps each leg
dynamic lunge x 20 reps each leg

once you reach 20 reps of one exercise then go to the next one

in the meantime work on your squatting technique which might be a major work in progress as most basketball players have shocking mobility and longer levers can be a problem too...actually record you do some bodyweight squats and post it for a look

the best resource out there is the vertical bible by kelly baggett - by an absolute mile...it's 30 bucks or so for memory i got it about a year ago when it came out

skinnier then Durant now is bad enough, let alone HS!! can you shoot like him though...

there's a few steps to it really and that's it

if your naturally plyometric like most basketballers then strength is your weakness and training that really on it's own will do more than anything else will regardless of what you read or get told...you'll be getting more then enough plyometric activity during bball games/training so you won't want to waste your time there

so start with single leg training using this progression;

high box step ups (front leg at least 90 degrees at the hip) x 20 reps each leg
split squats x 20 reps each leg
reverse lunges x 20 reps each leg
bulgarian split squats x 20 reps each leg
walking lunge x 20 reps each leg
dynamic lunge x 20 reps each leg

once you reach 20 reps of one exercise then go to the next one

in the meantime work on your squatting technique which might be a major work in progress as most basketball players have shocking mobility and longer levers can be a problem too...actually record you do some bodyweight squats and post it for a look
I managed to acquire the Jump Bible for free. It's worth following?

also don't underestimate practicing dunking on a lower rim, especially if you cant palm the ball.
getting your steps right etc

i myself built up to my first dunk at the age of 19 weighing in at 106 kgs and right on 6'1 with a very average wingspan. the benefits of being able to palm a basketball are great but it isn't a must

Remove this Banner Ad

Back