QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

could the Lions match on that Magpie girl? shes like 21 and not part of academy or anything, so don't think they had any rights to match. I think the story said she was from Mackay, so if anything she was zoned to Suns anyway

With the massive decline especially boys at ages 16-19 maybe we over doing it a bit when they are younger that they get over it by the time they are past teenage years. Just incredible the drop off in last 10 years to think we are literally down to one Colts competition should be concerning.

Agreed. As good as Auskick is, if a child takes it up at 6 or 7 years of age and continues on their football path until they are 15 or 16 then they have played football for the best part of 10 years. By then, a fair number become jaded and pack it in and either devote more time to studies or other pursuits.

The burn out factor should not be discounted and maybe the AFL and its state bodies should do a more in-depth investigation into why children give it up.

“You HaVe tO MOvE tO QAfLW tO GeT DrAfTeD”
Great night, still a cats fan but Lions womens move to equal top spot…
Yeah it’s great that Evie has been drafted from her local club.It looks great to see Sandgate a Div 1 club named next to her.Will certainly be promoting it amongst our girls as they head into Div 1 in 2024.
Also as your old man is a 80s team of the decade member and former senior best and fairest at Noosa,we are claiming Evie as one of our own🤣🤣🤣

“You HaVe tO MOvE tO QAfLW tO GeT DrAfTeD”

Yeah it’s great that Evie has been drafted from her local club.It looks great to see Sandgate a Div 1 club named next to her.Will certainly be promoting it amongst our girls as they head into Div 1 in 2024.
Also as your old man is a 80s team of the decade member and former senior best and fairest at Noosa,we are claiming Evie as one of our own🤣🤣🤣
Each to their own on moving/staying. Hopefully players do what’s best for them and not what they are pushed towards. Academy and Nationals count for a whole lot more than 5-6 QAFLW games in their draft year. Glad Evie stayed where she loves.

Pete might have positive Noosa memories, I’m still hurting from the 2010 GF…

Each to their own on moving/staying. Hopefully players do what’s best for them and not what they are pushed towards. Academy and Nationals count for a whole lot more than 5-6 QAFLW games in their draft year. Glad Evie stayed where she loves.

Pete might have positive Noosa memories, I’m still hurting from the 2010 GF…
Yep that’s fair too. Interestingly the academy pushes this line on the coast about staying at club from the manager. He’s been very good for the Academy up here.

could the Lions match on that Magpie girl? shes like 21 and not part of academy or anything, so don't think they had any rights to match. I think the story said she was from Mackay, so if anything she was zoned to Suns anyway
Ucould be right miller re matching but she was with the Lions this year as a train on player. Someone knew a bit about her obviously and for melb to use their 1st pick on her that says something

Agreed. As good as Auskick is, if a child takes it up at 6 or 7 years of age and continues on their football path until they are 15 or 16 then they have played football for the best part of 10 years. By then, a fair number become jaded and pack it in and either devote more time to studies or other pursuits.

The burn out factor should not be discounted and maybe the AFL and its state bodies should do a more in-depth investigation into why children give it up.
That has been the case for 50 years though. The majority of afl players come from Victoria where kids are playing day in day out during winter from the age of 5.
I think we are missing a few variables such as teenage years and ability to make own decisions, many more pull factors now than once was, kids less tolerant of authoritarian style coaching which despite best efforts still exists.
I would never discount technology too. It changes ppl.

No, she had no academy link to either Suns or Lions. She played as a kid in Mackay until u14s, then gave it away for same old reason that there was no girls footy for her.

She then played cricket for Australia, elite level soccer and softball and was invited down to Sherwood in the pre-season by a friend. She was nursing a shoulder injury, but ran water in both grades for the first 12 rounds and just got around it and trained hard and worked on skills.

She then made her debut and was unbelievably good from the moment she took the field. The coach cut up some footage and sent it to the Lions and they invited her down immediately. She played some internal scratchies with the Lions and from what I saw, if they were allowed to pick her for this AFLW season they would have, she is a star.

I suspect they tried to keep her quiet, but in the days and weeks leading up to the draft a few clubs got hold of footage etc and she was always going early. I think she was keen to get to a club in Melbourne, so good outcome.

She's not 21, she is 19.

Grange surfers and Labrador will push Aspley and Redlands next year for Grand final spots with the recruits they have got and I will say Grange will play Aspley in the Grand final.

Grange surfers and Labrador will push Aspley and Redlands next year for Grand final spots with the recruits they have got and I will say Grange will play Aspley in the Grand final.

Heard Grange may have a very good recruit incoming that will help out in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, she had no academy link to either Suns or Lions. She played as a kid in Mackay until u14s, then gave it away for same old reason that there was no girls footy for her.

She then played cricket for Australia, elite level soccer and softball and was invited down to Sherwood in the pre-season by a friend. She was nursing a shoulder injury, but ran water in both grades for the first 12 rounds and just got around it and trained hard and worked on skills.

She then made her debut and was unbelievably good from the moment she took the field. The coach cut up some footage and sent it to the Lions and they invited her down immediately. She played some internal scratchies with the Lions and from what I saw, if they were allowed to pick her for this AFLW season they would have, she is a star.

I suspect they tried to keep her quiet, but in the days and weeks leading up to the draft a few clubs got hold of footage etc and she was always going early. I think she was keen to get to a club in Melbourne, so good outcome.

She's not 21, she is 19.
Yep with the scratch matches vs other aflw sides now for those girls who miss out there is not much that gets past. Lions were very keen to list her I’m told but couldn’t do anything about the dees selection. Goid luck to her. Great story thommo.

Just out of curiosity and not being a smart ass when was Grange last in a QAFL GF and how many have they actually won?
At QAFL level, Wilston Grange has been in five Grand Finals: 1955, 1959, 1969, 1972, & 1977.
They were successful in three of those games: 1955, 1969, & 1972.
That doesn't count the 1994 Grand Final that Kedron Grange almost claimed over Morningside.

At QAFL level, Wilston Grange has been in five Grand Finals: 1955, 1959, 1969, 1972, & 1977.
They were successful in three of those games: 1955, 1969, & 1972.
That doesn't count the 1994 Grand Final that Kedron Grange almost claimed over Morningside.
Haven’t they won a few at lower levels though? Those trophies don’t go on the back of the polo though!

Haven’t they won a few at lower levels though? Those trophies don’t go on the back of the polo though!
Yeah, I almost jumped back on earlier to post this info.
(Feel free to correct me if I've missed something...)
Wilston Grange re-established their Senior club in 1995, starting back in the BAFL Division 2. First year back, they did well, finishing third. (To make it confusing, Kedron Grange continued on concurrently in 1995 and 1996.)
In 1996, Wilston Grange reached the BAFL Div 2 Grand Final, defeated by Alexandra Hills by 13 points.
1997 was the successful year. Grange won the BAFL Div 2 premiership, knocking over Alex Hills by a whopping 57 points.
First year up in the BAFL Division 1 was very strong too. They made it all the way to the Grand Final - and were probably unlucky to meet Redland during their ascendency. Grange got thumped by the Sharks by 114 points. It was a tough ending to the year, although it shouldn't diminish the outstanding effort during the promotion year.
Like most clubs, the Gorillas' fortunes fluctuated after that. The best recent result I could find quickly was 2015 when they made it through to the QAFL Preliminary Final against Morningside (NEAFL comp was running at the same time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back