QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe this could be a good opportunity for the past QAFL Coorparoo players to get around the club and rebuild a relationship through sharing their experiences and memories of playing for the club with the new playing group.

I would be surprised if the club had any issues with any old Roos boys coming down and wanting to share their passion for the club they loved with the boys.

Be interesting to see how Cooparoo goes due to lack of elite juniors. No teams in div 1 in 13,15 or 17’s I believe……hard to form a solid Colts program
2023 - Coorparoo had a div 1 team in 13s and 15s.

Going by training yesterday there are a few newbies coming in (including my 2 boys - 1 for 13s and 1 for 15s if EOI is accepted) and with the QAFL announcement a few more to come.

Personally was very happy with how the sessions were run and a few words of encouragement my boys have received.

1702884704789.png

VFL competition may still continue with a few of the struggling clubs cut a drift as Perth Clubs still not on board and Crows not keen to leave SANFL just yet. Not sure it will happen for 2025 just yet.
West Coast definitely wants out of WAFL. They’re keen to come across.

At
2023 - Coorparoo had a div 1 team in 13s and 15s.

Going by training yesterday there are a few newbies coming in (including my 2 boys - 1 for 13s and 1 for 15s if EOI is accepted) and with the QAFL announcement a few more to come.

Personally was very happy with how the sessions were run and a few words of encouragement my boys have received.

View attachment 1874356
At least they have a pathway all the way through and sounds like they will get kids back from neighbouring QAFL clubs when entering.Personally I’m more concerned about under 13 mixed teams training prior to Christmas🤣

At

At least they have a pathway all the way through and sounds like they will get kids back from neighbouring QAFL clubs when entering.Personally I’m more concerned about under 13 mixed teams training prior to Christmas🤣
Nah was more of a have a kick around, no contact etc.

I appreciated the chance for my boys to meet some of the new faces.

Feel like I've opened a can of worms. I know of several clubs who have a run around, some running a little touch work.

View attachment 1874387
Yes Killa I know there are many clubs doing this.I just think it is ridiculous.Just my opinion.Infact our club deliberately made a decision that no structured junior training will commence until February 2024.Go down the oval and have a kick with your mates by all means but last year we had 13 year old girls and boys training in late October and we are not having it!

Speaking of AFLQ and impact on Morningside. Does anyone know what investigation was done firstly by AFLQ and then secondly in their talks with Morningside, Sherwood, Mt Gravatt and even Wilston Grange, Redlands and Aspley as to how another Brisbane team battling for the talented youth in Brisbane area may affect them?

SMY would the existing QAFL Sunny Coast teams expect consultation if Caloundra and/or Hinterland applied to elevate?
Yea have to say I was surprise
but its not the club they played for, so why would they do that?>
yea I reckon u r splitting hairs. Same jumper, same honour boards are up in rooms I imagine.
Aflq announcement fine imo. They’re not there to divide.

Hinterland FC having their team of half century celebrations in March. Should they call it off bc hinterland has only been in existence since 2005 or thereabouts?

Yes Killa I know there are many clubs doing this.I just think it is ridiculous.Just my opinion.Infact our club deliberately made a decision that no structured junior training will commence until February 2024.Go down the oval and have a kick with your mates by all means but last year we had 13 year old girls and boys training in late October and we are not having it!
Not a bad thing to have unstructured training simply cause one thing kids up here miss out on is that school yard footy play that occurs in southern states. Adds up to alot of extra touches for kids.

Speaking of AFLQ and impact on Morningside. Does anyone know what investigation was done firstly by AFLQ and then secondly in their talks with Morningside, Sherwood, Mt Gravatt and even Wilston Grange, Redlands and Aspley as to how another Brisbane team battling for the talented youth in Brisbane area may affect them?

SMY would the existing QAFL Sunny Coast teams expect consultation if Caloundra and/or Hinterland applied to elevate?
U would love to think some discussion. Not sure u need agreement bc that won’t ever happen but maybe a path fwd that ppl can see has been planned out whether u agree or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea have to say I was surprise

yea I reckon u r splitting hairs. Same jumper, same honour boards are up in rooms I imagine.
Aflq announcement fine imo. They’re not there to divide.

Hinterland FC having their team of half century celebrations in March. Should they call it off bc hinterland has only been in existence since 2005 or thereabouts?
Agree whole heartedly and Hinterland(formerly Nambour) actually celebrating their true 50 years of existance (after not fielding Senior teams for 5 years) unlike others🤣

the amount of clubs running pre-season prior to Christmas at youth level is crazy.

pre-seasons longer than AFL players when you consider when their Round 1 is!

it's absurd.
So that works out approximately 60 hours training for kids before they actually play a game around Easter???

They wonder why more injuries occurring with knees, ankles etc when we putting training loads on kids when they are in their major growth period.

Depends on what that entails SM but I would argue the licking of a footy in the schoolyard / after school would be a similar amount of work.
Like a few here have said as long as it’s not mandatory structured training with big volume not sure it’s a bad thing if someone is enthusiastic enough to take it

Congrats to Longy this morning too on his daughter having her name read out for the lions last night. Exciting night for all the Academy kids with 5 girls being taken plus a girl from Sherwood who was selected by Melbourne.

Good effort to have 2 players in the Top 15 come from QFAW competition. 😉

Depends on what that entails SM but I would argue the licking of a footy in the schoolyard / after school would be a similar amount of work.
Like a few here have said as long as it’s not mandatory structured training with big volume not sure it’s a bad thing if someone is enthusiastic enough to take it
If it was only that wouldn’t be a problem, but most of the people involved with these programs seem to adopt the more is better approach.

Do you think the days of off season where kids went and played cricket, Basketball, etc is over or they jamming that in as well.

With the massive decline especially boys at ages 16-19 maybe we over doing it a bit when they are younger that they get over it by the time they are past teenage years. Just incredible the drop off in last 10 years to think we are literally down to one Colts competition should be concerning.

In this case Broadford have had a pretty tumultuous recent history which hasn't helped getting players to go there. Sometimes we have to be careful just blaming "demographics" because there are much smaller towns doing okay. Powell town that plays in the same competition and won the premiership has a population of 214....

Powelltown have bought a flag this year and now all their paid mercenaries have nicked off to the next destination leaving the club on the skids. Would be lucky to get two teams together in 2024.

If it was only that wouldn’t be a problem, but most of the people involved with these programs seem to adopt the more is better approach.

Do you think the days of off season where kids went and played cricket, Basketball, etc is over or they jamming that in as well.

With the massive decline especially boys at ages 16-19 maybe we over doing it a bit when they are younger that they get over it by the time they are past teenage years. Just incredible the drop off in last 10 years to think we are literally down to one Colts competition should be concerning.
Yea I’m not sure the reason for the drop off can be attributed to simply overtraining. More like technology I think.
Tbh I wouldn’t be surprised if qld has as high participation rates at that age group as any state still. It all gets bk to the type of training I think.
I do agree with you though that boys / girls that have other sports in their lives are far more likely to stick with the code and avoid burnout.

“You HaVe tO MOvE tO QAfLW tO GeT DrAfTeD”

Great night, still a cats fan but Lions womens move to equal top spot…
:) Always exceptions - and your girl was one as was Wotherspoon who it looks like Dees took as a roll of the dice on a gun multi sport athlete sitting under the Lions eyes and knowing the Lions were unlikely to match. Smart recruiting and congrats to magpies Thommo - with Reville getting picked up as a rookie B too it's been a great summer for the footy club.
One of the mature age Coops girls was taken as well plus a Bond Uni girl to Crows. I think it definitely helps playing in your final year at the top level in the state otherwise you would want to brain it in the representative season. There is also the age old debate too that a player moving up a standard will automatically receive better coaching - complete furphy imo - so there is that factor to take into account.
Just great for the code up here imo to see more Qld girls making their way into the elite level. There is no reason why they can't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back