QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Morningside are an early season Juggernaut!! Wont be till round 10 till they get their gut check...v Aspley.

Look at their results.

Morn. 140
Lab. 100

Morn. 143
marooch 63

Morn 110
Sher. 74

Morn. 90
WG. 61

Morn. 90
RVP. 56

Morn 142
MTG. 44

Morn. 115
BB. 73

A comment ... so far this season the games Ive watched have been below par/ standards compared to the past 3 years or so .Have been very scrappy, a lot of poor kicking and skills in general dont match up either . Very crowded pack type footy ,, ugly !!
Im interested to hear your thoughts !!!

A comment ... so far this season the games Ive watched have been below par/ standards compared to the past 3 years or so .Have been very scrappy, a lot of poor kicking and skills in general dont match up either . Very crowded pack type footy ,, ugly !!
Im interested to hear your thoughts !!!

Pressure footy. Its the current thing. We are downstream from AFL. Pressure comes from fitness, coaching and will. As a result, Is the game demanding a more expansive approach, (use the fat side and corridor) and asking players to be more innovative?

Pressure footy. Its the current thing. We are downstream from AFL. Pressure comes from fitness, coaching and will. As a result, Is the game demanding a more expansive approach, and asking players to be more innovative?
I understand that ,, but the skills especially kicking under no pressure or not much pressure have been awful

I understand that ,, but the skills especially kicking under no pressure or not much pressure have been awful

I didn't watch the game. Labrador are full of quality players. Hard to understand what went wrong. Sometimes its just players lacking Intent. Its not coaching. Its character. Beat surfers and lose to Noosa. Fk me. Thats crazy.

Last edited:
Morningside are an early season Juggernaut!! Wont be till round 10 till they get their gut check...v Aspley.

Look at their results.

Morn. 140
Lab. 100

Morn. 143
marooch 63

Morn 110
Sher. 74

Morn. 90
WG. 61

Morn. 90
RVP. 56

Morn 142
MTG. 44

Morn. 115
BB. 73
Most people had them finishing in bottom 3 at start of year. Depending on Lloyd outcome with AFL which probably only strengthens them. But I think he will get clearance to join AFL .

Recruited some ripping blokes this year that can play a bit as well. Good to see them Surfers, Palmy back challenging again.

Still think Aspley with all their weapons just ahead of everyone but GF Day anything can happen as they not miles ahead like they were last year.

Most people had them finishing in bottom 3 at start of year. Depending on Lloyd outcome with AFL which probably only strengthens them. But I think he will get clearance to join AFL .

Recruited some ripping blokes this year that can play a bit as well. Good to see them Surfers, Palmy back challenging again.

Still think Aspley with all their weapons just ahead of everyone but GF Day anything can happen as they not miles ahead like they were last year.
Agree

Looking for some discussion on where Maroochydore are at. They won yesterday as expected but prior to that their win/loss since the 2021 finals surge has been something like win 15 and lost 27. They don’t seem to get many hammerings but I’ve expected better and reckon this has flown under the radar with other issues around the comp.

Is it just the FIFO outs, which seem to happen across SEQ, or is there something else? What’s their recruitment strategy like?

Tipping ladder
36; BIG E, PUGS
35; ALL OR NOTHING WESTERMAN
34; DEZARIO, STILL ME, BUD 63, SMY
33; QLD CLUELESS, THUNDER DOC, BIG TEX, MAGPIE BOY, FOOTY BOY,
32; BOOPS, BUNYIP, NWO, TOUCAN SOUP,
31; UP IT STUMPY, GOALKICKER, STUYD, DJONNO, SIMPLE SAUCE, 2010 PREMIER
30; LONGY ZILL, SWITCH THE PLAY, AS8, UNSPOKEN BRIZZ, MOBBS
29; LAGGING BEHIND TIME TO RETIRE
25; NOOSA BOY

Looking for some discussion on where Maroochydore are at. They won yesterday as expected but prior to that their win/loss since the 2021 finals surge has been something like win 15 and lost 27. They don’t seem to get many hammerings but I’ve expected better and reckon this has flown under the radar with other issues around the comp.

Is it just the FIFO outs, which seem to happen across SEQ, or is there something else? What’s their recruitment strategy like?
Recruiting has been minimal LB. Not a lot of top shelf footballers (meaning very very good sanfl/ vic country players) have come into the club. Not sure exactly why? Money isn’t a massive issue.
Just remember 2021 was a bit of an over achievement. The finals series was ridiculous. Take that out of the equation the club has still done incredibly well as a new club into the state league. Just look at Noosa as a parallel and see how difficult it is to build a club to the level.
And don’t discount those fifo players. Simpson best ruck in comp, Warren a very good qafl player. They aren’t potatoes.
They play good footy. They play good kids but that result on weekend looks disappointing tbh bc they’ve left something on the table and should have been a 100pt win with those scoring shots.

Simpson was/is an absolute star. Huge loss.

Always a player I thought had higher level footy in him, but just that little bit undersized for an AFL ruckman

Maroochy in 2023 also just lost alot of close ones, their % last year a better reflection of how competitive they were.

Recruiting has been minimal LB. Not a lot of top shelf footballers (meaning very very good sanfl/ vic country players) have come into the club. Not sure exactly why? Money isn’t a massive issue.
Just remember 2021 was a bit of an over achievement. The finals series was ridiculous. Take that out of the equation the club has still done incredibly well as a new club into the state league. Just look at Noosa as a parallel and see how difficult it is to build a club to the level.
And don’t discount those fifo players. Simpson best ruck in comp, Warren a very good qafl player. They aren’t potatoes.
They play good footy. They play good kids but that result on weekend looks disappointing tbh bc they’ve left something on the table and should have been a 100pt win with those scoring shots.
Agree on nearly all however it’s a numbers game and the parallel with Noosa may be a touch out.One club has 500 juniors,the other 300. Simpson an absolute star and Warren more than handy at the level too.Cadz was a very popular and respected Coach with their playing group so him leaving certainly didn’t help.And money certainly not an issue,Wilson on a grand a goal😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some very valid points however from an outsider I reckon the home ground advantage doesn’t seem to be the factor it was in QFA Div 1 where 20 goal home wins weren’t uncommon.

Wilson walked in the door, not for money but wanted to join a better club. Inconvenient truth for NB. You are right Lagging the recruiting has been virtually non existent the last 3 years due to 22 & 23 no one delegated the role and this years preseason off field was distracted with senior coach sacking and search for new one. I’ve watched the last 2 games (the first since 2022 as I was away). The standard of QAFL footy has improved including the ressies. Roos haven’t improved to keep up or rise. Maroochydore had 3 blokes in starting back 6 on Sat that are not QAFL players. Scholard getting to end of career. That said Wildschut has bought a new level of coaching professionalism to the club which I suspect is taking time to show with W’s. Our depth is good with ressies 2nd and colts 4th on ladder. Recruiting needs attention but it seems those players moving north are asking for big coin. We don’t historically pay big bucks so the Hickys, Richs, Mathersons, Halls wouldnt settle at Maroochydore.

Inconvenient truth also that both Sunny Coast clubs don't get any VFL listed players rolling back through the doors like the rest of them.

Look at Grange, Morningside, Sherwood, Redland, Surfers, Labrador in particular and the strength of each of those teams from week to week is governed by who Southport and the Lions pick in the VFL.

Definitely need to go back to a mini draft for the VFL talent that comes from interstate (or has no home club connection) and too bad if they get drafted by a Sunny Coast team. They should at least get first right, and if they can't come to a training agreement, then they let them go - rather than not even being in the conversation at all.

Jono Giles suiting up for Sherwood in the 2s on the weekend has gone under the radar. You'd assume he'll have an impact at senior level shortly.

Wilson walked in the door, not for money but wanted to join a better club. Inconvenient truth for NB. You are right Lagging the recruiting has been virtually non existent the last 3 years due to 22 & 23 no one delegated the role and this years preseason off field was distracted with senior coach sacking and search for new one. I’ve watched the last 2 games (the first since 2022 as I was away). The standard of QAFL footy has improved including the ressies. Roos haven’t improved to keep up or rise. Maroochydore had 3 blokes in starting back 6 on Sat that are not QAFL players. Scholard getting to end of career. That said Wildschut has bought a new level of coaching professionalism to the club which I suspect is taking time to show with W’s. Our depth is good with ressies 2nd and colts 4th on ladder. Recruiting needs attention but it seems those players moving north are asking for big coin. We don’t historically pay big bucks so the Hickys, Richs, Mathersons, Halls wouldnt settle at Maroochydore
Disagree with Wilson analogy,may have walked in the door but for a fair bit more than what we were were paying but agree history suggest Roos do not pay big bucks however new kitchens have been installed and houses freshly painted😂

Simpson was/is an absolute star. Huge loss.

Always a player I thought had higher level footy in him, but just that little bit undersized for an AFL ruckman

Maroochy in 2023 also just lost alot of close ones, their % last year a better reflection of how competitive they were.
Spot on Thommo - were very competitive and had something like the 6th best % in the comp.
Simmo could have been a very good VFL / SANFL player if he could have been stuffed - but he wasn't... :)

Agree on nearly all however it’s a numbers game and the parallel with Noosa may be a touch out.One club has 500 juniors,the other 300. Simpson an absolute star and Warren more than handy at the level too.Cadz was a very popular and respected Coach with their playing group so him leaving certainly didn’t help.And money certainly not an issue,Wilson on a grand a goal😂
Yea I think the problems at Noosa with juniors runs deeper than just numbers tbh NB - there's been some very interesting decisions made over the years (such as an A grade side and a B grade side, both playing in the same age group and in the same comp) that hasn't helped retain numbers. Noosa hasn't been shrinking in population as a region over the decades ;)

Yes Maroochy benefit from a great facility but the football club won't thrive or fail based on this alone. Good clubs make good decisions - regularly , not just one off.

Last edited:
Some very valid points however from an outsider I reckon the home ground advantage doesn’t seem to be the factor it was in QFA Div 1 where 20 goal home wins weren’t uncommon.
Yea different comp though LB - Noosa and Maroochy were big clubs in a shallow ocean in Div 1 in many ways.

Wilson walked in the door, not for money but wanted to join a better club. Inconvenient truth for NB. You are right Lagging the recruiting has been virtually non existent the last 3 years due to 22 & 23 no one delegated the role and this years preseason off field was distracted with senior coach sacking and search for new one. I’ve watched the last 2 games (the first since 2022 as I was away). The standard of QAFL footy has improved including the ressies. Roos haven’t improved to keep up or rise. Maroochydore had 3 blokes in starting back 6 on Sat that are not QAFL players. Scholard getting to end of career. That said Wildschut has bought a new level of coaching professionalism to the club which I suspect is taking time to show with W’s. Our depth is good with ressies 2nd and colts 4th on ladder. Recruiting needs attention but it seems those players moving north are asking for big coin. We don’t historically pay big bucks so the Hickys, Richs, Mathersons, Halls wouldnt settle at Maroochydore.
Yep - I agree with all that Bud. Off field coaching help has funnily always been hard to find too.

Disagree with Wilson analogy,may have walked in the door but for a fair bit more than what we were were paying but agree history suggest Roos do not pay big bucks however new kitchens have been installed and houses freshly painted😂
I heard he wanted a Lexus to stay but the only cars on offer from John Madill were the 2nd hand ones that Rich turned down.... :)

Please lets not get in a debate over who pays more than the other club - there is a clear winner and esp when the "soft cap" is extended into the mix... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back