One blokes QAFL footy season experience, documented. (2022)

Required

Mar 18, 2022
Noosa recruit, Tom Baulch, produces Youtube videos about his traveling footy experience (and some health and fitness advice). This season hes playing for Nossa in the QAFL and documenting his experience. He produces some pretty good stuff and will be a valuable resource for players from interstate wanting to know a bit more about QLD footy.

When my young bloke first showed me a video of Toms, I was a bit on the fence about these videos, but realizing it takes a confident sort of person to do this stuff, i began to appreciate what hes doing. So hats off to him. Its is a great idea, and actually shows a fair bit about QLD footy. Tom has quite a following already all round the country, and no doubt overseas.

Here is his link... and latest video. (his channel; Prime Training, at link as well)

• Banned
don't mind watching his vids, keeps me updated a little with qafl from down here in vic

In his 1st QAFL video (below) he mentions a plan to do a doco at season 2022 end going over Noosas season. I hope he also slants it towards introducing and explaining QAFL footy, its clubs, perhaps some of its history to interstate players. Would give the 'doco' a broader appeal to the general footy public. Would be interested in seeing him do one on the NTFL as well. (Baulch recently had a stint with the Buffs in the NT comp).

Good for footy, but talks a bit of rubbish on his podcasts and some of the vids. Did the dirty on his old club too.

• Banned
"Have talent, will travel" is a great mantra for a young bloke wanting to see a bit of the country. Trout fishin in Tassie, Barra in Darwin, King George whiting in SA, Pelagics in WA... oh, and then theres footy..

Only a short window of time when you are young to do these things before life dumps its burdens on you.

Miller obviously knows more than you or I.

Miller is a strange one.. (or 3..)

At times displays a broad knowledge of the game, next day is trolling posters with rumors. His IQ can range from 120 to 70 in the space of 2 posts. Almost like its an account with more than the one poster? If so my guess would be some AFLQ blokes using the one account?

However, many a wise man would soar academically with Eagles, but prefer to booze with the peasants. Both are more alluring..

Miller is a strange one.. (or 3..)

At times displays a broad knowledge of the game, next day is trolling posters with rumors. His IQ can range from 120 to 70 in the space of 2 posts. Almost like its an account with more than the one poster? If so my guess would be some AFLQ blokes using the one account?

However, many a wise man would soar academically with Eagles, but prefer to booze with the peasants. Both are more alluring..
I believe it's just the one person (Riley Miller). have seen him comment on a few AFLQ facebook posts with similar views to the ones he puts in these forums

Moved from Brisbane to Noosa, changed from Sherwood to Noosa because one club is 2 minutes away and the other is 2 hours away.

Nothing to see here.

So he didn't move to Noosa pre christmas, spend the entire summer telling Sherwood he was going to be playing with them, only to then back out 10 days before Round 1?

Or was that a different bloke?

So he didn't move to Noosa pre christmas, spend the entire summer telling Sherwood he was going to be playing with them, only to then back out 10 days before Round 1?

Nah, I don’t think that is the case. Some may have interpreted that way, but he didn’t train at all through the pre season because he was playing NTFL. It sounds like the communication with Fletch was open throughout that time because he wasn’t even sure that he would be in Qld, so no commitment was made to Sherwood.

I was at the game on the weekend and not at any time before during or after was he treated by the Sherwood supporters, players, coaches or committee as someone that had done the dirty on them.

Nah, I don’t think that is the case. Some may have interpreted that way, but he didn’t train at all through the pre season because he was playing NTFL.

He played last game for Buffs round 18 in Darwin... 19th February. So didnt get to Sherwood till probably the last week before summer ended..? (unless he was fly in fly out?)

Was fly in and fly out. Trained at Sherwood during the pre-season apparently, but also trained at Noosa (unbeknownst to Sherwood) and made the decision (allegedly) less than 2 weeks before Round 1.

Just what I heard...

No, that's not accurate.

He made a late decision, that's correct - but we were well aware he had trained at Noosa as much as he trained with us. Several Sherwood ppl are involved with Buffs in Darwin as well, so communication was frequent and open.

We understood the reality, we wanted him to stay, he wanted to stay - but the logistics made zero sense to him (or us) and playing in Noosa was the logical conclusion.

Would we have liked to know exactly what was happening sooner than we did? Sure.

Did he act dishonestly or do anything 'dirty'? Absolutely not.

In fact, the delay was probably more to do with Tom looking for a way to make it work, but in the end it made no sense. We have another situation the same with a guy who moved to GC as well, but he just chose not to play at all.

Baulchy stuck around well after the game on Saturday (despite being on losing side) spoke to our junior kids spoke to ex teammates, coaches, old boys etc and was welcomed as he always will be, same as his folks who always patronise our bar and canteen well and love a post game function!

Zero animosity, no further comment required from us.

Was fly in and fly out. Trained at Sherwood during the pre-season apparently, but also trained at Noosa (unbeknownst to Sherwood) and made the decision (allegedly) less than 2 weeks before Round 1.

Just what I heard...

Be careful of treating what you ‘hear’ as fact.

Thanks Thommo for the clarification.

I think at the end of day, what this post is about is Tom promoting QAFL footy. After seeing him on the weekend, inspiring and giving his time to local juniors, it will only strengthen and provide exposure to our league. No matter your thoughts on him as an individual, something we can all agree is a great thing and an asset to Queensland footy.

Toms latest offering. Interestingly, he racked up 41 disposals vs Sherwood.

Be careful of treating what you ‘hear’ as fact.

Thats fair, and Tommo has obviously now put it to bed, so game over. However, even if he was pissed off - he wasn't going to announce that on here was he..?

If I 'heard' that, despite having no connection to the club - obviously someone was upset enough to talk about it somewhere. Probably nobody important, but I didn't just make it up and Tommo has confirmed above they would have liked to know sooner.

I imagine Baulch doesn't come cheap, so if a club has budget committed to him and then find out 10 days prior to Round 1 that he's going elsewhere, then thats a big hole to fill on the list at short notice - so I maintain my view, as I'm entitled to.

Thats fair, and Tommo has obviously now put it to bed, so game over. However, even if he was pissed off - he wasn't going to announce that on here was he..?

If I 'heard' that, despite having no connection to the club - obviously someone was upset enough to talk about it somewhere. Probably nobody important, but I didn't just make it up and Tommo has confirmed above they would have liked to know sooner.

I imagine Baulch doesn't come cheap, so if a club has budget committed to him and then find out 10 days prior to Round 1 that he's going elsewhere, then thats a big hole to fill on the list at short notice - so I maintain my view, as I'm entitled to.

Bla bla bla. “So I maintain my view… bla bla bla”. Flog

Tom Baulch at a Melbourne park meeting 'fans'. Amazing. Never underestimate the power of the social media to raise ones profile. We saw the Paul brothers who are little more than competent amateur boxers earn millions for their very amateurish fights. (Mayweather carried him, make no mistake) Here we see an ex VFL player attract fans that one may expect only a contracted AFL player would attract. (Theres probably many contracted players that WOULDNT attract this many players at a non-offical AFL promo!)

He puts a plug in for the QAFL ..(i think, or the NTFL, as i couldnt hear the 1st bit)

Tom Baulch at a Melbourne park meeting 'fans'. Amazing. Never underestimate the power of the social media to raise ones profile. We saw the Paul brothers who are little more than competent amateur boxers earn millions for their very amateurish fights. (Mayweather carried him, make no mistake) Here we see an ex VFL player attract fans that one may expect only a contracted AFL player would attract. (Theres probably many contracted players that WOULDNT attract this many players at a non-offical AFL promo!)

He puts a plug in for the QAFL ..(i think, or the NTFL, as i couldnt hear the 1st bit)

National tour on the Bye weekend by the look of it. Perth ‘fan’ day today or tomorrow before returning to Noosa.

I dont know what Toms goal is? A gig with a national broadcaster down the track?

He has mentioned playing in a Victorian league next season. But i recon this 'traveling AFL player' theme has some legs. A lot of people would be interested in seeing whats going on in the fledgling Leagues overseas? These are Asian competitions, NZ, America, and no doubt in Europe. Theres even a South African AFL...!

If he did a good enough production, he could probably sell it to a National broadcaster. Wouldn't be the first travel/food/culture show done on a budget, sold to a network. But it may be the 1st sport related one..!? As i said if he combines it with food and culture, it would be hugely interesting to an even wider audience.