Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2003
In limbo.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MVFC - 2009 Premiers
The World Game

Korean striker Min-Suk Jang has been released by Hyundai A-League club Queensland Roar after it was discovered the 28 year old didn't quite have the pedigree it was claimed.

The club originally announced that the player had played over 200 games in the Korean K-League and was voted the Most Valuable Player in the 2001 and 2002 K-League seasons - but the truth was slightly different.

According to the Courier-Mail, Jang actually only played 13 K-League games, back in 1999, and Roar chief executive Laurence Oudendyk told the newspaper the truth came out when they sent the player's resume to Football Federation Australia as part of the process involved in getting the player a visa.

"We were shocked," Oudendyk told the newspaper. "But luckily it happened early in the season and we are able to look for someone else. We were very lucky. We could have been stuck with him for a year."

"It was surprising because the player's agent [Roar signing Tae-Yong Shin] managed to negotiate two very good, legitimately good players [Shin and Hyuk-Su Seo]. It was just that the third one was very wide of the mark."

The newspaper also reports that Roar has now turned its attention to former Marconi star Alex Brosque, who is currently contracted to Feyenoord.

Oh dear. :eek:

It's happened to bigger clubs than Roar. Southampton and Sunderland have both been conned by dodgy agents in recent seasons. Not the best PR but not a big deal imo.

Boro said:
It's happened to bigger clubs than Roar. Southampton and Sunderland have both been conned by dodgy agents in recent seasons. Not the best PR but not a big deal imo.

Ali Dia :eek:

I'd prefer to say that it was Graeme Souness who was conned. ;)

I knew I should have written into the Melbourne Plastic and offered them my services. DAMN.

My four years in the Romanian league playing for Constructral Bucharest and eight years with B1896 in the Faeroe Islands would have gone down beautifully.

Well, 13 games in the K-League, arguably the best league of our region, he can't be that bad.

Obviously not the star they wanted but well done to Roar for getting to the bottom of it.

Would have made it into the NSL, I'd bet.

Supermercado said:
I knew I should have written into the Melbourne Plastic and offered them my services. DAMN.

My four years in the Romanian league playing for Constructral Bucharest and eight years with B1896 in the Faeroe Islands would have gone down beautifully.

Do you want fries with your bitterness?

sainter said:
Ali Dia :eek:

I'd prefer to say that it was Graeme Souness who was conned. ;)

db_0012.jpg

'George Weah's cousin's girlfriend's father's parole officer's godson's uncle said he was some player... who was I to question his credentials?!'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back