Umpiring Questionable Umpiring Decisions

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought marginal would be close to 15 metres. It's closer to 25.
My point, it's umpired inconsistently. Don't personally care who won or lost its not what this thread is about
You really can't tell how far he travelled with the naked eye. He is weaving around taking small steps. It's Optus oval which I'm not familiar with. Maybe the different grass colours indicate a 10 metres patch.

Can confirm distance between square and boundary on wing is exactly 40 metres. He has run a lot more than 15 metres

Well confirm it then.

And how many times in a game has a player exceeded the 15 metres without bouncing if you are seemingly prepared to make something out of this nothing issue.

I stand corrected - IQ didn't touch it, to his own admission. Looked absolutely touched on replay but it wasn't. There ya go!

The two contentious decisions were both accurate to the rules. Pies choked. Not much else to say.

Rate this ownership - kudos!

Bit dubious from IQ though. “I’m not a liar… except when I lie”. 🤨

Well confirm it then.

And how many times in a game has a player exceeded the 15 metres without bouncing if you are seemingly prepared to make something out of this nothing issue.
Who said it was a nothing issue ? I'm sure it will be discussed on various footy shows this week

Warnings for what ? It’s not a rule to return the ball to the umpire.
Your be hard pressed to find anyone sitting at home watching thinking gee Sullivan is wasting time here. But anyways the game should have already been won.

It literally is a rule(or leave it). You can'thand to your buddy first. . You are denying reality.

I could accept the time wasting free kick if they paid it everytime a player chucked the ball on the ground when it goes oob instead of handing it or throwing it to the boundary umpire.

I've been watching / playing footy for 40+ years & I just saw one of the top 5 worst decisions ever.
GWS player streaming towards goal & gets pushed in the back as he kicks it.
His kick hits a GWS player inside 50 who kicks it to Hogan 25 metres out.
Umpire then calls the play back to where the push happened.
Absolutely baffling.
None of the 4 umpires could use any common sense & work this out.

I've been watching / playing footy for 40+ years & I just saw one of the top 5 worst decisions ever.
GWS player streaming towards goal & gets pushed in the back as he kicks it.
His kick hits a GWS player inside 50 who kicks it to Hogan 25 metres out.
Umpire then calls the play back to where the push happened.
Absolutely baffling.
None of the 4 umpires could use any common sense & work this out.
Where’s the “common sense” in umpiring? The advantage rule is close to one of the most ridiculous in the game at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where’s the “common sense” in umpiring? The advantage rule is close to one of the most ridiculous in the game at times.
It didn't even need to be play the advantage, the play was continuous, that's the mind boggling thing about it

I could accept the time wasting free kick if they paid it everytime a player chucked the ball on the ground when it goes oob instead of handing it or throwing it to the boundary umpire.
AFL wrote a memo in 2022 about time wasting to clubs to say that players were to either leave the ball on the ground at the stoppage point or hand it directly to the umpire, and - explicitly - not to hand it to another player. As reported on AFL site.

The rules specifically state you can drop the ball on the ground when it goes OoB so hopefully you can accept the time wasting free kick.
Screenshot_20240524_224030_Samsung Notes.jpg

AFL wrote a memo in 2022 about time wasting to clubs to say that players were to either leave the ball on the ground at the stoppage point or hand it directly to the umpire, and - explicitly - not to hand it to another player. As reported on AFL site.
So, it's okay for a player with the ball to be tackled, creating a stoppage, and then leaving the ball on the ground? At what stage did that player lose possession of the ball? Surely, that's a case of not handing the ball to the umpire. I know what the rule says, but like most new rules these days, they're stupid.

So, it's okay for a player with the ball to be tackled, creating a stoppage, and then leaving the ball on the ground? At what stage did that player lose possession of the ball? Surely, that's a case of not handing the ball to the umpire. I know what the rule says, but like most new rules these days, they're stupid.
Oddly, frees will be paid per rules and memos about their interpretation, rather than what some fans might think makes sense…

What being told not to dump in a tackle + umps not wanting to blow the whistle for a ball up results in.

The Curnow/Andrew one was worse. Andrew very easily could have dumped Curnow but did the right thing and held him up, Curnow is given an eternity and eventually gets a kick away.

The irony of paying time wasting is it was quicker for Sullivan to throw it via Daicos than if he’d just left it on the ground for the bald headed knob to then have to come in and pick it up…

Tackled as soon as he got the ball. Should have been a ball up whistle after 1 second.
I genuinely do not understand this notion, and everyone wanting the whistle to be blown for everything is stressing me out. I don't see an issue with this play - player had no prior, but the game was given the opportunity continue on rather than turn into an umpire contrived play. What do we want instead? for it to be a rarity where the ball is moved from one end of the ground to the other without the whistle being blown? That's not football. Same with the Curnow one, yeah he was given a heap of time, but it was one of those ones where you'd probably be understanding of a call either way - why? because it's just the nature of our game that it is umpired intuitively rather than going off black and white rules. There are rules that are open for subjective interpretation, and that's OK, because if it weren't then we would have an NFL like product where everything turns into a set play. It's like the running bounce 15m rule, we all know it's rarely ever adjudicated strictly based on meters but rather an intuitive thing in giving the opportunity for the player to break away and then set themselves for their kick. Everyone growing up watching and playing football understands the rules of the game intuitively, we know what to expect most of the time in a given situation, so anyone who makes it out like they're confused is just playing dumb.

We all mean well but complaining and wanting clarification on absolutely every rule is going to create an over adjudicated end product. We saw it on the weekend when Warner got done for a perfect tackle, and then pinged 50m for pointing at the scoreboard. The end result was a completely umpire contrived score. Again, that's not football. That play was 100% a product of the AFL having to call for tighter adjudication due to outside noise on head highs and umpire respect. Ultimately Warner got done for both of those things where he committed neither.

Ironically, we all probably agree that the best umpired game of the year is usually the Grand Final (bar 2016), and it's because the umpires allow the game to play out. PLAY ON FFS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back