Quickflix QFX

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
What do you think of the potential of this company over the next 5 years?
Currently 0.4c a share

Worth accumulating with the hope they might become the Netflix of Australia?
Or will Bigpond movies be the dominant player in this emerging market?

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Will they be able to stream movies through the Apple / Google TV boxes?

Yeah thats their plan. You'll eventually be able to stream via Xbox, WII, PLaystation or a little decoder straight to your TV amongst other methods.
Im sure Bigpond have exactly the same idea, it will be a matter of who rolls it out properly first without f*cking it up.

I know you cant compare the Australian market to the US, but Neflix opened in 2002 at around $8 a share and are now booming at around $140 a share.

Im tempted to start some serious accumulation of these guys and sit on them for atleast 5 years, but first I'd like to hear someone elses opinion on them, I think theyve holted trading at the moment

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies
I think it's interesting that the normally self-protective Apple (more iTunes really) have allowed Netflix through the new Apple TV.

Will they be so nice to an indie upstart like Quickflix?

The T-Box is really only for BigPond users only, so they can shove that.

What exactly Google TV will do is mostly up in the air, but their philosophy is usually more independent than most.

Hard to say exactly how well Quickflix would perform assuming good on-line streaming capabilities.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Stream over internet -> Media Centre PC or other.

What do you need all these dedicated boxes for? Someone will just hack up a small-form PC based box that costs next to nothing and does everything.

I dont really understand what youre saying?
Where would this hacked up little box pull its movies from to stream?

r dub 19

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Jeff Probst
Just had a look through the annual report and such. Bigpond are way ahead, they have movies and shows you can download rather than send dvd's in the mail. DVD's will be made redundant within 3 years imo. Bigpond have a JV with LG for a tv that you can dl movies onto I believe. Found this on hotcopper, the ceo said:

We are very excited by the opportunities presented by the delivery of content digitally over the internet and also the potential to improve and expand the DVD service. We are actively working on our digital delivery service which will sit very nicely alongside the DVD service so that Quickflix members will have the choice to receive the DVD or stream the movie instantly. You should see further news on this later in the year. The ISPs will play an important role in delivering content digitally and we will work closely with them as this segment of the market grows.

I'll keep a very close eye on this as it only has 16 million odd shares on issue with mgmt holding around 30%.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I know their yet to make a profit (too cheap perhaps?) but I think they are using the right strategy in building up their customer base. I think once they implement their streaming system they'll be able to raise their subscription costs and start turning over a profit.

Some interesting forum comments below on hotcopper.

"the QFX business model is the same as netflix. their take up rate in terms of market penetration is almost identical to netflix when it started in the US. netflix is now massivley profitable. qfx is on track to do pro-rata similar business in Australia - and based on today's ann and a surge in subscribers this year they may get ahead of the netflix curve. on this basis the sp should be closer to 20c than then current 5c. multi bagger potential here."

"Quickflix is in a different chapter compared to 5 years ago. For a company like to to succeed they have to build a strong foundation (operations, collection, website, management team, and most importantly Branding). I personally think Quickflix has ticked all those checkpoints within the past two years.

What makes me say this, well couple of reasons:

1. We know consumer base/trialist have significantly increased in the last two years. Shows marketing of the service is working. In my opinion it will only keep increasing in big numbers over the next few quarters.

2. Website presentation has improved tenfold compared to when i first joined (2 years ago). This will well attract customers and increase their Brand awareness in the market place.

3. Apple application, with potential of being able to download movies straight to your Ipad, TV, computer, etc.

4. QFX has included strong and experienced members to the team (Simon Baker - real-estate.com, Ross McCreath - pay tv Australia & Hannah Schwart - marketing)

5. Directors own 30% of the company, this signifies huge confidence in the management that the company will continue to grow in the coming years.

I believe this company is in the critical stages of growth and they will succeed in bringing a strong presence in the Australian market. I think they should start to be in the greens in the next 6-12 months. So patience is required here."

r dub 19

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Jeff Probst
I agree it's a better strategy. They need to do something about their marketing I have never heard anything about them in my life before I read this thread.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Couldn't NetFlix just go to Australia and overtake them in one fell swoop?

Jabso, its interesting to see what will happen.

I would imagine that Netflix would have to come into Australia and start up an Australian entity and build a customer base from scratch.
A company like Quickflix might be treading water with the hope that Netflix or even bigpond comes and buys them out.

r dub 19

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Jeff Probst
20 odd million people minus old people that aren't tech savy leaves you with a small market in comparison to the u.s so I doubt netflix would be interested.

I dont really understand what youre saying?
Where would this hacked up little box pull its movies from to stream?

Torrents or new players.

Physically sending DVDs in the mail will become a niche market in the next few years as streaming (or something else altogether) wins out.

I think you are over-estimating the tech savviness of the "market".

I think you're underestimating people in the "market" (not sure where the quotation marks come from but when in Rome...).

I've seen the most clueless technophobes buy media devices (like external HDDs re-purposed as media players) and get up to speed very quickly.

Pretty soon you'll have a bunch of Asian companies releasing cheap boxes that do all sorts of things - stuff we don't know anything about yet.

I'd say someone will work out how to turn a 32GB USB drive into a WiFi streaming device. Plug it in anywhere and play anything.

However my money is on Apple to make the experience easy and painless, like they did with the mobile phone. $129 for the Apple box? Videos at not much different prices to video rental shops? Winner.

In the end, putting your money into Quickflix is a biiiiiig gamble. You're basically betting on old technology and model over a hive of activity going on in all sorts of media and hardware companies, not to mention legions of hackers and little Chinese companies beavering away at the problem of getting media into people's hands at the time, place and price they want it.

These are generally now, here and free.

Quickflix can NEVER do that mailing physical discs. They're dead (or niche) unless they come up with something spectacular.

Mister Dog

Senior List
Aug 11, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting prospect.

Theyve gone up over 100% since this thread started.
It appears investors are starting to take this company seriously now.

I read theyve got all of Bigpond Movies customer base now.
It looks like theyre concentrating on building up their customer base before making the switch to streaming.

Mister Dog

Senior List
Aug 11, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
They're are rolling out their streaming capabilities now.
Accumulate these, they'll hit a $1 in 3 years.

Back