Health Quitting Drinking

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been coming to a point where I think my drinking habits is starting to have a detrimental affect on my life.

While I don't drink everyday, I am not a violent drunk and I don't completely write myself off (pass out, blackout etc) I'd be classed as a binge drinker and it's costing me a lot of money, and the stupid decisions I make are destroying my relationship with my partner.

I tried just cutting back but to quote Frank the Tank "once it hits your lips its so good" and most times I can't help myself. So I think I just need to give it up cold turkey.

I am already treated for depression, largely untreated for anxiety issues so I think I need to get on to that...

So tips and advice on going cold turkey?

Don't drink wild turkey!?

On a serious note, good luck with your issues.

Drinking is something I need to cut down on too.

Definitely keep up the depression treatment. I know just how tough that is.

Good luck, the hardest part in doing so is always the first couple of events where you're the only person not drinking. The easiest way of avoid the peer pressure and questions is simply to say 'I'm on medication at the moment, so I can't drink'.

Additionally if you are meeting up with people 1-1 try meet up for something like coffee instead rather than alcohol as this helps to avoid the temptation.

Good luck, the hardest part in doing so is always the first couple of events where you're the only person not drinking. The easiest way of avoid the peer pressure and questions is simply to say 'I'm on medication at the moment, so I can't drink'.

Additionally if you are meeting up with people 1-1 try meet up for something like coffee instead rather than alcohol as this helps to avoid the temptation.

Why should there even be peer pressure or questions? People should mind their own ****ing business- altho I know this isn't always the case. I wouldn't make up any stories, if they don't like the truth they can piss off.

And good luck OP. I'm a very light drinker, so cannot understand the process of giving up the addiction.

My only advice would be to get help, if going it alone doesn't work.

Why should there even be peer pressure or questions? People should mind their own ****ing business- altho I know this isn't always the case. I wouldn't make up any stories, if they don't like the truth they can piss off.

Unfortunately a large part of society treats alcohol and drinking as something sacred, especially young males. Not drinking because 'I don't want to' or 'I don't feel like it' is often going to result in one or more campaigners spending the whole night trying to convince you to 'just have one'. Telling someone to piss off about it is only bringing hostility and defensiveness into it, which is going to isolate you more than you already are by not drinking. Unfortunately it's simply much easier to have a go to lie.

I didn't say to tell them to piss off, I said they can piss off.

Anyway agree to disagree, I still say he doesn't have to lie.

I'm nust going to tell my mates I am not going to drink for a few months.

no doubt there will be pressure to have "just one".

Contemplating the same thing at the moment (particularly after last Friday night/Sat morning). :(

Personally I don't drink often only when I go out clubbing which is once every few months. But when I do go out its like I've released this beast who just can't stop drinking, I drink purposely to get as smashed as possibly.

Likewise I'm not aggressive but I seem to get very hyped up when I drink, have also recently been told by a couple of friends that I need to calm the * down when I drink as well.

I've never hurt anyone or myself but the lack of control worries me and the fact in the past 24 months or so each time I've gone out drinking I've blackedout every single time.

Clearly changes need to be made. (Although I'm not exactly sure to which extent)

Appoliges LanceRomance for hijacking your thread (thought this was the most appropriate place to post this) I wish you luck on your new life. :thumbsu:

Change footy clubs and you'll find that depression disappears. ;)

haha yeah. I have been known to drink while watching the football to take the edge off.

there have been a couple of games against brissy that needed more than a couple.

good luck
I haven't had a drink for about 10 years now. stopped cold turkey. was a little hard in social situations, but that passes after a few events with the same folks when they realise you aren't going to just have one.

I don't miss it, feel great all the time, don't lose my mornings after night outs, etc etc. so all good.

oh, and take the advice about changing teams - the suns could do with some more members ;)

good luck
I haven't had a drink for about 10 years now. stopped cold turkey. was a little hard in social situations, but that passes after a few events with the same folks when they realise you aren't going to just have one.

I don't miss it, feel great all the time, don't lose my mornings after night outs, etc etc. so all good.

oh, and take the advice about changing teams - the suns could do with some more members ;)

Had a bit of a slip up last weekend.

Did pretty well for four weeks then thought I'd have one - which turned in to much more. Felt like crap the next day and was disappointed in myself.
Mrs is furious too.

It's funny how rational not drinking is... with drinking basically borrowing happiness from tomorrow and all that.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a bit of a slip up last weekend.

Did pretty well for four weeks then thought I'd have one - which turned in to much more. Felt like crap the next day and was disappointed in myself.
Mrs is furious too.

It's funny how rational not drinking is... with drinking basically borrowing happiness from tomorrow and all that.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Yep, just keep trying.

I have been coming to a point where I think my drinking habits is starting to have a detrimental affect on my life.

While I don't drink everyday, I am not a violent drunk and I don't completely write myself off (pass out, blackout etc) I'd be classed as a binge drinker and it's costing me a lot of money, and the stupid decisions I make are destroying my relationship with my partner.

I tried just cutting back but to quote Frank the Tank "once it hits your lips its so good" and most times I can't help myself. So I think I just need to give it up cold turkey.

I am already treated for depression, largely untreated for anxiety issues so I think I need to get on to that...

So tips and advice on going cold turkey?
Maybe in the initial stage, try and be smart with your social outings, eg, see if you can organise them in ways where drinking wouldn't be an automatic thing. I.e things that usually are drinking events like going to a bar, club, sporting event, barbecue, sunday arvo session, parties, restaurants, etc, instead suggest to your mates/mrs places where drinking isn't as available or isn't as obvious, go to the beach, movies, shops, cafes, arcade game places, sporting activities, etc.

If your going to places where you'd usually drink, drive there so you won't (assuming you have the willpower to not drink heavy and drive).
Go and have a good time for a few weeks in a row without drinking and enjoy it, and it'l become a lot easier to not drink.

Good luck

In my brief weeks of not drinking I've always found it goes hand in hand with avoiding certain social gatherings.

Me personally I don't drink a lot at home due to still living at home, so not sure about that aspect. But as I was saying I find it easy to say no to certain things if I want to, just keep thinking about how much damage that binge drinking session will do to your wallet, the hangover the next day and like others have said start driving there.

As for your mates, I assume you're a bloke so obviously it always comes back to manliness which makes it tough for lightweights and those who rarely drink, but basically just give them s**t back. When I've been sober while they're drinking it's pretty hilarious to see their carry on.

If you know something is on where you and your mates would normally drink a lot, it might be best avoided until you have the willpower necessary to say no. On nights where I know I shouldn't go I always end up launching into beers and regretting it the next morning.

It will be tough, there's no denying that. I had a similar relapse to you, but with drugs a few weeks back and went nuts for consecutive weeks on the back of a death.

Na man, the older ya get the more you realise how little keeping up appearances on the social scene means in the scheme of things. You can do what you want it's your choice^

I made this decision two years ago and it's been good but tough at the same time. As with most of you guys I didn't drink everyday, just when I went out to a bar/club/party every few months but would always overdo it and decided I didn't want to drink anymore.

The positive side of it is that I've stopped wasting money and brain cells on alcohol but the downside is I've lost "friends" that only seemed interested in hanging out when alcohol was involved. So long to them.

The first few months and even the first year was hard - people would always question why I wasn't drinking and would buy alcohol as a Christmas or birthday gift assuming it wouldn't last. 2 years later and I don't have any desire to get drunk. After we won the 2014 GF I had 1/2 a drink at dinner to celebrate and after 2015 I had 1 drink at the players GF dinner. Both took me an hour to get through :D

Sometimes I miss it because I remember how much fun I had in the years I did drink but I've had just as much fun while out and not drinking since, and my bank account and body are better for it.

The strangest part is people's reactions when you tell them you don't drink anymore. There really is a bad drinking culture in this country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back