Prediction R12 Changes vs. Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's interesting that throughout our recent history we have had a relatively small forward line, we always wanted more height to make it easier to to match the taller defenders.

Now we have a taller back line, coming up against a smaller forward line and we want to go in smaller.

I don't think one way is better than the other, both ways can work just think it's interesting...

This is a game of the walking wounded. Both teams will be missing key players if all of the pies listed injured players do not get up I am pretty confident we can win this one. One proviso we improve our conversion rate.

Clarke out injured so not sure he comes in but what do you mean redemption?
I actually think we have handled the lad poorly. Can’t bring a kid in for a half the drop him. Especially with the tigers the following week.
Do you know how many very good afl players have had poor to average debuts.
Kade Simpson 300 games didn’t touch it in any of his first 3 or 4 games. Clarke’s contest were quite good and almost kicked a goal but from a great tackle from Will Day. Also think we are not giving Cliz a better run at it. Freija and gags have been solid but both are making plenty of error which is fine and they are redeeming themselves I just think others deserve the same time to grow.

We do usually give debutants a couple of weeks, but the coaches were obviously unhappy with certain things so sent him back to the 2’s. I’m sure they’d have given positive feedback to the kid, so he’s not just been dumped and left to work it out himself.

It’s professional sport, this is what happens. Not sure you can say it was handled poorly.

He had 6 disposals for 5 changers and didn’t lay a tackle. I reckon even Clarke himself would be thinking he probably needs to redeem himself, if/when he comes back in.

Not sure about Cleary either. Doesn’t have any standout attributes unfortunately. A half backer that lacks height and size and pace. So can’t be relied on to defend too well, and doesn’t have the ability to break lines. Need to be a pretty good footballer to get away with having none those things.

I remember when plenty in here were demanding Khamis got a spot in the 22 each week because he was apparently going to fill out 3rd intercept role perfectly. And that he was handled poorly. I think we can now all agree, the coaches have likely got that one right? Khamis is still a long way off holding a spot in the team. Maybe the coaches also know more about Cleary’s suitability in the team than we do?

Can’t see Lobb coming in to the side after requesting a trade mid season.

Tipping we go in with undersized fwd line.

Can’t see Lobb coming in to the side after requesting a trade mid season.

Tipping we go in with undersized fwd line.
I think we have to get past all that not playing them if they request a trade.

They're professional athletes. I'd like my pound of flesh. To get what we paid for when we need it.

Just an angst free fulfilment of current contractual obligations. And if we agree to trade him at season's end ... all good. In the meantime....required to do a job in the here and now.

To throw another option into the mix, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Bev go back to the well of having JOD play a temporary role forward.

It allows Buss to debut and gain some exposure, first and foremost. It enables us to stick to our structure in Naughton's absence. It better replaces the athletic attributes that Naughton brings in pushing up the ground and back than Lobb can. If it isn't working out, he has the flexibility to play a role on the wing.

I think we go for Lobb, personally, but this option also wouldn't surprise me.

To throw another option into the mix, I wouldn't be too surprised to see Bev go back to the well of having JOD play a temporary role forward.

It allows Buss to debut and gain some exposure, first and foremost. It enables us to stick to our structure in Naughton's absence. It better replaces the athletic attributes that Naughton brings in pushing up the ground and back than Lobb can. If it isn't working out, he has the flexibility to play a role on the wing.

Interesting thought. How would he go as a say a defensive fwd on someone like Quaynor... to do a job.

I think we have to get past all that not playing them if they request a trade.

They're professional athletes. I'd like my pound of flesh. To get what we paid for when we need it.

Just an angst free fulfilment of current contractual obligations. And if we agree to trade him at season's end ... all good. In the meantime....required to do a job in the here and now.

I think it’s a different situation with Lobb. He’s requested a trade because he’s not willing to play his part in the team, which currently is fighting for a spot with Darcy. Which is fine if he doesn’t want to do that. But I don’t see how you can have a player like that in the 22 who clearly isn’t on the same page as the rest of the group.

He might get selected, but I’d be very surprised if he does.

I'm not sure we'll go with three tall bulls in defence. Jones and Keath battled last week but clearly just didn't have the raw athleticism to cover the wide open spaces in D50 when the Swans were moving the ball quickly. If we play three key defenders (without JOD's greater running/mobility), there'll be times where Bobby Hill or whoever is matched up against one of our three talls and will make them look either in space or when the ball hits the deck.

They won't have Cox due to injury either so whoever they bring in can be handled.

I think it’s a different situation with Lobb. He’s requested a trade because he’s not willing to play his part in the team, which currently is fighting for a spot with Darcy. Which is fine if he doesn’t want to do that. But I don’t see how you can have a player like that in the 22 who clearly isn’t on the same page as the rest of the group.

He might get selected, but I’d be very surprised if he does.
It's more that he doesn't want that situation to continue beyond this year isn't it? Which is reasonable really because he's no chance of displacing Darcy unless injured. Which could still happen this year. To English also.

I'm not sure holding what he wants to do next year against him this year is what professional sport is about.

Different if he's thrown the toys out of the cot and is playing like a busted arse because he's not getting a senior game currently.

Not having watched VFL, I don't know whether that's the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

keep darce deep and let Lobb roam around. Bev was playing him as a wing for a while there, and he does have a long range kick for goal.

small forwards are westy, sonny, and resting mid.

I dont know what to do with our defence. I guess JOD to replace truck (who moves to wing) and Daniel to replace bramble who goes back to the VFL

Last edited:
We looked as good as we have all year in the last quarter v Swans despite being down to 2 on the bench.

Just do that again.

I'm not sure we'll go with three tall bulls in defence. Jones and Keath battled last week but clearly just didn't have the raw athleticism to cover the wide open spaces in D50 when the Swans were moving the ball quickly. If we play three key defenders (without JOD's greater running/mobility), there'll be times where Bobby Hill or whoever is matched up against one of our three talls and will make them look either in space or when the ball hits the deck.

They won't have Cox due to injury either so whoever they bring in can be handled.
Is Buss really a bull? I haven't seen a lot of him at VFL level but that's not the player I thought he was.

Is Buss really a bull? I haven't seen a lot of him at VFL level but that's not the player I thought he was.
Either way, he's been training to take the opponent's strongest and primary defender in the VFL.

It's not really necessary IMO with both Mihocek and Cox out injured for Pies. We'd be too tall, just like we were vs. Hawks.

Without stating the obvious the next 3 weeks are so huge for us. Obviously need to take care of business and win our 3 games, but every week leading up to the bye teams around us are playing each other.

We need to win it at the source and stop Naicos as our top priority.
We don't have anyone remotely close to being able to do that other than Richards.

If it was going to be anyone, Bevo will give the job to Gallagher but I wouldn't assign that role for centre bounces to not disrupt our game too much. More after the centre bound.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back