R22: Port v Carlton review

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see Pittard play further up the ground last night. He is far better suited to playing on the wing.

Jakey - has his confidence back and is the perfect crumber for us.

Robbie - what can you say? He is a freak and his movement in heavy traffic is unbelievable.

Good all round team performance.

Now time to get ready for next week.

Loved Malthouse's comment at the press conference, "If Port play like that in the finals, they'll scare the life out of a few sides", or words to that effect. Gee I'd love to see us sneak into 4th, face Sydney at ANZ in week 1, and maybe exact a bit of revenge for the 2003 qualifying final.

Some Carlflog on the train home says something along the lines of at least he supports a real club? I mentioned his real clubs last premiership was way back in 1995 and was 'bought'. Nice real club tosser.

Jesus...pittard.....

Wtf......I am speechless....

I am without speech...

My misses knows how much I "loooove" pittard.....

When I came home she said game recorded and you will enjoy pittards game.......I thoight she was taking the piss....

If it wasnt for robbie, pittard would of been BOG... well done pittard easily your best game....and when did pittard become our enforcer....he was in every carlton players face ...he smashed murphy for the cheap shot in the gut he gave boak

Loved everyones game really.....I couldnt pick a loser on the night....

Neade is easily one of my favourite players from last year.....and we were sitting here all season arguing about a case for a third tall and yet it took the smallest bloke on our list to totally change the dynamic of our fwd line...

robbie 2 brownlow

Boak was great.....all I wanted him to do on the night was bust out the microphone like he did on the virgin video

Hamish......if we did make the gf I would lay big dosh on him on winning the medal.....

Jonas was back to his best but just stick to handballing

Bobby made me laugh he was just so funny with the efforts he put in...but still a solid game

Hombsch ....just destroyed the nub he played on

wingard played his best game for a while.....he had a spat at gray for not passing him in the goal square which I didnt mind but what I didnt like is he went on with it after gray kicked the goal...

yeah .....freo would be spewing they lost fyfe top 4 still very much on the cards...

we have a final next week...our last round of the season becomes the most pivotal to our gf chances

Some Carlflog on the train home says something along the lines of at least he supports a real club? I mentioned his real clubs last premiership was way back in 1995 and was 'bought'. Nice real club tosser.
Should have just shown him the 1870 on your shirt and reminded him Port is not just the 17-yr snapshot they have seen in Victoria.

We've got to remember Carlton allowed us a huge amount of run last night and the game was the open one we wanted. Tackles were Carlton 63, Port 54. In a game like that we're just about certain to come out on top.

Gotta love those Sturt/Carlton campaigners.

These are always the most dangerous games for your following match. You've been lulled by their lacklustre effort and can be unprepared for a ferocious opponent the next week. And Freo will ratchet up their suffocating physical defensive game.

We have to be prepared. We still have to take the game on, accept it is going to be much tougher next week but not be afraid to play intense exhilarating football.

Loved Malthouse's comment at the press conference, "If Port play like that in the finals, they'll scare the life out of a few sides", or words to that effect. Gee I'd love to see us sneak into 4th, face Sydney at ANZ in week 1, and maybe exact a bit of revenge for the 2003 qualifying final.
How about we exact revenge on sydney for being a bunch of campaigners in general

Should have just shown him the 1870 on your shirt and reminded him Port is not just the 17-yr snapshot they have seen in Victoria.

We've got to remember Carlton allowed us a huge amount of run last night and the game was the open one we wanted. Tackles were Carlton 63, Port 54. In a game like that we're just about certain to come out on top.
Malthouse is too smart of a coach to let us play how we want to play...

We played like that because we can play like that....

No stupid handballs...no risks were taken by hand our risks were taken by foot...

Our boot studder got his s*** together finally...

And the magic happened

These are always the most dangerous games for your following match. You've been lulled by their lacklustre effort and can be unprepared for a ferocious opponent the next week. And Freo will ratchet up their suffocating physical defensive game.

We have to be prepared. We still have to take the game on, accept it is going to be much tougher next week but not be afraid to play intense exhilarating football.

I think we've had enough lacklustre efforts in the past couple of months not to be lulled again. We're up for finals now. It's not going to be easy but we'll be flying to Perth ready to go 100 miles an hour at Freo. The question is, can they go the distance on the back of a 6-day break and one of the longest trans-continental flights in the world?

The replay was arguably better than the real thing, the in close reflex handball from our blokes was sensational, but f**k me, why would a 60 plus Port bloke, with a comb over, a rinse, a forehead bigger than Texas, and Virgil from the Thunderbirds glasses, allow his boat race to be shown in the closing credits on national tv?

Apparently some people have NO shame!
Haha Mick - lucky we are friends and I know you're a good natured stirrer and I feel sure you would have knocked back several beverages last night but I reckon that must have been my brother you were looking at on TV because I am very photogenic - also, I'm sure you will know that a high forehead is a sign of superior intelligence .;):D

Last edited:
Yeah but will they try to trick us by starting Franklin on the bench?

I think we've had enough lacklustre efforts in the past couple of months not to be lulled again. We're up for finals now. It's not going to be easy but we'll be flying to Perth ready to go 100 miles an hour at Freo. The question is, can they go the distance on the back of a 6-day break and one of the longest trans-continental flights in the world?

We've had our lacklustre efforts but I was referring to Carlton's. I've seen many times teams not prepared for the intensity of a new opponent the week following a very comfortable win. Earlier this year we seemed to be up every week so it shouldn't be an issue, but the last team I will underestimate is Freo in Perth, players out, long trip or not. The minute you start looking at reasons that are out of your control why you can beat a side the closer you are to a loss.

We have to take the game on, we have to know we will be pressured into mistakes and punished for them but we can't afford to go into our shell. The big expanses of Subi and our hard running game should be a great match. I wouldn't mind a bit extra outside run and would strongly consider bringing in Impey for Moore, with the added bonus of Impey taking on Ballantyne. But Balla's going to be a whole different match up too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not see a massive win coming but nevertheless what I took out of the game:
- Jasper had a "mum im 12 I can do what I want" kind of night literally did whatever he wanted
- Bruce saying that jake neade is in career best form,. mate hes 20 and played 20 games. (I know he probably meant gray but who doesn't like taking the piss out of bruce" Also funny how he seemed disappointed by the end of the night through his closure of the show "that's all we've got for you"
- Didn't really learn this but gray emphasised his elite status
-Jonas best game stats wise? Hopefully he doesn't get done for his bump on white. White got up and played on the game and kicked a goal in the last so they should let him off just a solid bump
- Hammer Boak cornes polec had 24disp + games yet didnt really notice cornes or hartlett that much
-No one slipped tonight which was surprising except for ebert, he may be safe for another week not everyone can get high numbers statistically wise
-Putting neeade in the magpies and bringing him back at the right time masterstroke move may be the xfactor into finals
-Massive respect for rowe in both his personal life and his playing career was probably best for carlton

Did not see a massive win coming but nevertheless what I took out of the game:
- Jasper had a "mum im 12 I can do what I want" kind of night literally did whatever he wanted
- Bruce saying that jake neade is in career best form,. mate hes 20 and played 20 games. (I know he probably meant gray but who doesn't like taking the piss out of bruce" Also funny how he seemed disappointed by the end of the night through his closure of the show "that's all we've got for you"
- Didn't really learn this but gray emphasised his elite status
-Jonas best game stats wise? Hopefully he doesn't get done for his bump on white. White got up and played on the game and kicked a goal in the last so they should let him off just a solid bump
- Hammer Boak cornes polec had 24disp + games yet didnt really notice cornes or hartlett that much
-No one slipped tonight which was surprising except for ebert, he may be safe for another week not everyone can get high numbers statistically wise
-Putting neeade in the magpies and bringing him back at the right time masterstroke move may be the xfactor into finals
-Massive respect for rowe in both his personal life and his playing career was probably best for carlton
You should have Hartlett was massive

One of the best nights at the footy I've had.

Robbie is just that damn good. Jakey Neade is so exciting to watch, what a wildcard he is for us bringing him in at this stage of the season. Great to see our running game back.

Bring on next Saturday! I want to see us playing in big games and there's no bigger challenge in footy than Fremantle at Pattersons.

wingard played his best game for a while.....he had a spat at gray for not passing him in the goal square which I didnt mind but what I didnt like is he went on with it after gray kicked it

Chad does this 4-5 times a game, every game

Went for a sqizz on Carltons board , can't believe it there's three or four posts saying Jake Neade is a shocking player and they even made him look good.
Personally I think he's going to be a beauty , younguns wouldn't remember him but he reminds me of Roger Rigney ( the wombat ) who played for Sturt in the 60's and is the indigenous player to have played in the most premierships . He used to annoy the life out of me with his forward nous , I reckon Jakeys heading in the right direction to do likewise ( not annoy me but other teams supporters ) Go Jakey Neade

I wonder if Robbie is running a pre-determined 'route' through the stoppage, just like NFL receivers do in order to shake their cover. Either way it's damn impressive.
It would be a set play. Lobbe puts the ball to a predetermined spot and a player, or two, runs onto it.

Went for a sqizz on Carltons board , can't believe it there's three or four posts saying Jake Neade is a shocking player and they even made him look good.
Personally I think he's going to be a beauty , younguns wouldn't remember him but he reminds me of Roger Rigney ( the wombat ) who played for Sturt in the 60's and is the indigenous player to have played in the most premierships . He used to annoy the life out of me with his forward nous , I reckon Jakeys heading in the right direction to do likewise ( not annoy me but other teams supporters ) Go Jakey Neade
Neade is one of those players that makes opposition defenders very nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back