listen more carefully then, they're both great bands but are totally different

Carlos

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2001
Beneath the blue & white
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mastablingbling said:
Radiohead's best is far greater than Muse's best.
"Far greater"?

How have you come at that?

I wouldnt say the gap was all that great. In fact i would say Muse's best has Radiohead's best covered. Of course thats purely an opinion based on my taste and what i value in bands, specifically their musicianship, songwriting, production and ideas and the seemingly dying art of putting on a great live show.

And i also believe Muse's best is still ahead of them while i'm not sure Radiohead have another great album in them. The fact Muse are still in their 20's probably helps though.

In 25 years time Radiohead will probably be remembered as the more important band and i have no problem in saying that they were no doubt instrumental in paving the way for bands like Muse. Thats not saying that i think Muse are a Radiohead clone or even all that similar fwiw, but i have no doubt they were an influence.

But if Radiohead and Muse were playing at the same BDO at the same time i'd go and see Muse every day of the week.

Sep 28, 2004
New York City
AFL Club
West Coast
Carlos said:
"Far greater"?

How have you come at that?

Just my opinion :)

I like the feeling in Thom Yorke's voice, its really natural. Matt Bellamy just seems to be straining to often.

I haven't heard a single song from Muse which betters about 75% of the stuff(rough guess) on both The Bends and OK computer.

Not to say I dont like listening to Muse, they just aren't Radiohead.

:)

Angus1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2002
At the races
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Darealrath said:
I would too but at a small, intimate venue i'd go Radiohead every day of the week.
That's a very good point. At a big venue the rock hard sound of Muse is awesome however at a small intimate venue you can sit back and go a little deeper with Radiohead. I would choose a Live Muse gig in front of Radiohead though.

I feel at their best the quality is very even with perhaps Radiohead in front however Radiohead have by far more crap songs then Muse. Actually Muse only realy have a couple of crap songs which is a pretty impressive effort considering that they are taking risks with their music.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Mastablingbling said:
Just my opinion :)

I like the feeling in Thom Yorke's voice, its really natural. Matt Bellamy just seems to be straining to often.

I haven't heard a single song from Muse which betters about 75% of the stuff(rough guess) on both The Bends and OK computer.

Not to say I dont like listening to Muse, they just aren't Radiohead.

:)

That's interesting, because Matt Bellamy is a classically trained singer and pianist I believe and while I find his voice strong when it needs to be and fragile when it needs to be fragile, I find Thom's voice to be a weak and whiny caricature to what it used to be. It's almost as if Thom's voice has leukemia, but its a put on now, exxagerating that sickly sound and it just doesnt come across as genuine emotion to me anymore.

I think on Pablo, The Bends, OK PC and Kid A his voice had genuine emotion, but it just sounds so put on to me now, or perhaps Im just tired of his whineing:confused:

As for the bands, Muse by a universe.

driver 8

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Dice Man said:
That's interesting, because Matt Bellamy is a classically trained singer and pianist I believe and while I find his voice strong when it needs to be and fragile when it needs to be fragile, I find Thom's voice to be a weak and whiny caricature to what it used to be. It's almost as if Thom's voice has leukemia, but its a put on now, exxagerating that sickly sound and it just doesnt come across as genuine emotion to me anymore.

I think on Pablo, The Bends, OK PC and Kid A his voice had genuine emotion, but it just sounds so put on to me now, or perhaps Im just tired of his whineing:confused:

As for the bands, Muse by a universe.

Interesting....

I find Thoms voice on The Eraser to be the best its ever sounded

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
driver 8 said:
Interesting....

I find Thoms voice on The Eraser to be the best its ever sounded

It's strange isnt it, because I find the exact opposite. Ive only given the Eraser 2 listens and I'll pull it out today for another listen. But it just confirmed for me, what Id suspected after Hail to the Thief.... that they'd(Radiohead and Thom solostuff) lost me.

driver 8

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Dice Man said:
It's strange isnt it, because I find the exact opposite. Ive only given the Eraser 2 listens and I'll pull it out today for another listen. But it just confirmed for me, what Id suspected after Hail to the Thief.... that they'd(Radiohead and Thom solostuff) lost me.

I implore you..............!

Give The Eraser more listens!

Its a genuine grower

As for Radiohead live, I saw them on the hail to thief tour and theyre the best live band i've ever seen.... muse coldplay and REM also right up there

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
driver 8 said:
I implore you..............!

Give The Eraser more listens!

Its a genuine grower

As for Radiohead live, I saw them on the hail to thief tour and theyre the best live band i've ever seen.... muse coldplay and REM also right up there

I will give it another listen... Ive put the opening track onto my MP3 player as I liked that one, but the rest just didnt 'grab' me...

I was listening to JJJ yesterday and they had on some hardcore blackmetal band in teh studio, and one of the last gigs one of the band had seen was Coldplay in LA and he said they were suprisingly awesome live.

Still think Id be fighting back the chunder personally.

driver 8

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Coldplay arent everyones cup of tea... a bit like the U2 situation. They (or more to the point Chris Martin) rub people up the wrong way... still i dont think Chris Martins even cloe to Bono's league in driving certain people mental.

On the eraser, check out The Clock and Harrowdown Hill. Especially Harrowdown Hill... its genius

Back