Discussion Random Chat Megathread Mk II

I wouldn't put my money on it. A big difference between the IPL and BBL is that all our teams are indirectly owned by Cricket Australia whereas IPL the teams have actual owners. With that said though, despite having a fraction of the population in India, BBL and IPL are comparable in terms of attendance figures:

Games Total Att. Avg Att.
View attachment 621464

Quite amazing actually but yeah in terms of the money IPL brings in, the BBL will never be up there unless it allows private ownership of the teams. I think IPL prize money is somewhere around $3 million...
The BBL tried for 'partial private ownership' when the league first started and apparently there we investors willing to spend millions on a franchise, but they weren't going to pour that money in to get a minority share and still give CA control over their teams, so it never eventuated. On one hand I think that private investment could have delivered some bigger names to the league which would have made for some better cricket and given it some more legitimacy which is the biggest downfall for the current league, but on the other hand, I can understand that CA wanted these franchises to succeed and private owners can quite quickly teams into the ground which has been the case with a few of the IPL teams.

The BBL tried for 'partial private ownership' when the league first started and apparently there we investors willing to spend millions on a franchise, but they weren't going to pour that money in to get a minority share and still give CA control over their teams, so it never eventuated. On one hand I think that private investment could have delivered some bigger names to the league which would have made for some better cricket and given it some more legitimacy which is the biggest downfall for the current league, but on the other hand, I can understand that CA wanted these franchises to succeed and private owners can quite quickly teams into the ground which has been the case with a few of the IPL teams.
Off the top of my head, Australia is the only board run and funded T20 League. All other countries have teams owned by a third party. Even the T20 leagues in most Indian states have franchises owned third parties.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Why do I have to pick between being passionate about the Australia side and the Renegades? I enjoy and support all forms of cricket. To be fair though its kind of hard to be passionate about your national team when they're getting their ass whooped by Kohli's Crew. Hopefully they can lift for next year and maybe it will be worth attending the Boxing Day Test.

I just enjoy watching the Big Bash but * me right?

This is probably the sort of crap that rubs people the wrong way about the big bash. I'm only a few years older than a lot of the big bash fanatics on here but there is a massive shift between me growing up as a fan of Australia, and then everyone on here being on the 'gade train' or whatever it is called instead. The fact that you'd rather go to and watch Clive Rose bowl left arm no-spin over going a boxing day ashes test is a sign that Cricket Australia has severely ****** up somewhere along the way and an entire a generation of fans will be lost.

You also have little understanding of cricket if you think that the BBL can match the IPL in a few years. The IPL has a far greater talent pool of international players who actually can play in the whole tournament as a result of being factored into the ICC future tours programme. The big bash will never get this and as a result will have to get 'marquee players' that are second rate guys that played a couple of one dayers about 5 years back or washed up has-beens like Johan Botha.

I never explicitly said I prefer BBL compared to Test cricket, rather I said I'm a fan of all forms of cricket and I'm keen to see professional cricket whenever possible, and there's more opportunities to see the BBL than Test cricket (and my junior membership for the H&A season was the price of a ticket to one day of the Test match). Along with the 'Gades, I'm a fan of Australia too, I keep an eye on how we are going all the time (especially at home, but also away too).

On an international scale, the IPL will probably always topple the BBL, but domestically (as in, people in India supporting the IPL vs people in Australia supporting the BBL) the BBL can eventually build up support when people accept what it is, appreciate what it is and stop trying to bring it down as 'gimmicky' whenever possible. It has the capacity to be a great competition, but this will never happen when people continue to ridicule others for supporting the league and what it brings to cricket in Australia.

There's a solid pool of domestic and international star players, along with plenty of young guns aspiring to play for Australia (Sam Harper (22) and Mackenzie Harvey (18) spring to mind).

Yes, I support the BBL passionately, and I'm absolutely thrilled that we won the Championship yesterday.

I never explicitly said I prefer BBL compared to Test cricket, rather I said I'm a fan of all forms of cricket and I'm keen to see professional cricket whenever possible, and there's more opportunities to see the BBL than Test cricket (and my junior membership for the H&A season was the price of a ticket to one day of the Test match). Along with the 'Gades, I'm a fan of Australia too, I keep an eye on how we are going all the time (especially at home, but also away too).

On an international scale, the IPL will probably always topple the BBL, but domestically (as in, people in India supporting the IPL vs people in Australia supporting the BBL) the BBL can eventually build up support when people accept what it is, appreciate what it is and stop trying to bring it down as 'gimmicky' whenever possible. It has the capacity to be a great competition, but this will never happen when people continue to ridicule others for supporting the league and what it brings to cricket in Australia.

There's a solid pool of domestic and international star players, along with plenty of young guns aspiring to play for Australia (Sam Harper (22) and Mackenzie Harvey (18) spring to mind).

Yes, I support the BBL passionately, and I'm absolutely thrilled that we won the Championship yesterday.

Probably deserves the ridicule given it waters down the existing state competitions (and in turn, our international team) for the sake of 'family entertainment'. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching BBL and I'm a Scorchers fan but it frustrates me that Shield and domestic one-dayers have taken a backseat to gimmicky competition that forces the national selectors to pick players for longer formats based off of Big Bash form.

So many of the current state sides are ridiculously strong and have just as much star power as they did in the 90's/00's when they actually had a following and received FTA coverage - but no one even has a clue about it because it's just BBL BBL BBL plastered everywhere.

You’ve kinda made the opposite point when you spoke about the prices of the tickets. The fact that the BBL needs to drop the price that low to get its seats filled says something about how it was before they reduced the prices. I remember in first few seasons when there was no one attended the games, so they had to reduce the prices and and make it gimmicky.

The one game I did go to, I felt as though it was more focused on the entertainment aspect of night rather than the cricket itself. From the constant voiceovers trying to amp up the crowd to the internal bouncy slide, I don’t think the BBL would have the attendance or viewership without this. And this is the main issue.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
So many of the current state sides are ridiculously strong and have just as much star power as they did in the 90's/00's when they actually had a following and received FTA coverage
I remember back in the day the OG Big Bash between all the state sides, that made me actually care about the state teams as a kid. But after it turned into the BBL, and State cricket took a backseat on the tv, its hard to care about it that much when you can't even watch it.

Still have all the KFC toy things for all the teams somewhere collecting dust, simpler times.

Is it really that big of a deal that some people actually care about the BBL? I could say the same sort of thing for people like myself who enjoy local league footy. Literally no one is saying Test cricket is an inferior product, simply a different one than what the BBL offers.
Come on guys... It's a sport and we can love it in all it's forms.

Is it really that big of a deal that some people actually care about the BBL? I could say the same sort of thing for people like myself who enjoy local league footy. Literally no one is saying Test cricket is an inferior product, simply a different one than what the BBL offers.
I enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that I can't criticise where I think it goes wrong or could be better. I like watching it when there's nothing else and if I'm at a game I'll cheer on the team, but I'm not "passionate" about a sub-10 year old team in a pretty plastic league. Sure you're allowed to be passionate about it, but at the same time can you really be surprised that people that knew a world pre-t20 (or at least, a world where t20 was treated like an actual joke by CA) think it is strange that you are part of a fan culture that consists of wearing fast food packaging on your head and doing fortnite dances to try and get yourself on TV?

To most fans it is a bit of a meme and a fun night out but nothing more than that, it will never be until it takes itself more seriously. Simple as that.

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix
The one game I did go to, I felt as though it was more focused on the entertainment aspect of night rather than the cricket itself. From the constant voiceovers trying to amp up the crowd to the internal bouncy slide, I don’t think the BBL would have the attendance or viewership without this. And this is the main issue.
And the one game I went to (got a free ticket by the way) the entertainment, videos and graphics all seemed to be aimed at 7 year olds...... Maybe that is just the Strikers, though...

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
BBL (and really T20 in general) is a good bit of fun that is at its best when it's not taken too seriously. I honestly don't get fussed if the Heat/national T20 side get absolutely carted (hell, for the Heat I enjoy occasionally making good-humoured derisive comments about their performance).

Test is, was, and ever will be best though.

BBL is to cricket as AFLX is to AFL.

/end

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
BBL is to cricket as AFLX is to AFL.

/end
I disagree with that comparison. AFLX is a complete bastardization of Aussie Rules, barely even resembles the main form of the game. BBL follows the T20 format which has been in use for decades now. The only thing you can draw a comparison between is the target audience, kiddies.

Perhaps people are just clicking on to the fact that cricket isn't very interesting.
Big but true call.
I mean fmd, we like BBL because it’s exciting. I grew up a footy fan and hated cricket, BBL comes to FTA and I’m like “ok this is pretty cool, I can get behind this.”

Thread got a bit malicious, not gonna lie. Malicious might not be the right word but I can’t think of anything better. Rather than just being “I like BBL because it’s more entertaining” vs “That’s cool, personally I prefer OD/Test though” it’s been “I like BBL because it’s more entertaining” vs “Well * you too, your sport is s**t”
For those complaining that Intl cricket has taken a backseat, blame 7. Centralising all the cricket meant that they couldn’t fit every game, a bad move for cricket.
Could I also pose a question, what’s with the IPL having a s**t ton of credibility vs the BBL because “it’s Indian, has private owners and is 4 years older” they’re equals on crowd size and granted it’s in a bigger market but Australia is a top 3 market regardless.
You’ve kinda made the opposite point when you spoke about the prices of the tickets. The fact that the BBL needs to drop the price that low to get its seats filled says something about how it was before they reduced the prices. I remember in first few seasons when there was no one attended the games, so they had to reduce the prices and and make it gimmicky.

Well no s**t, you’re a traditionalist and that’s fine, but not everyone is. And if they want to target traditionalists with Shield and OD comps, plus new and younger fans who might also be strapped for time then that’s perfect. Doing what it should be doing. But can you blame people for choosing the more exciting format over the longer formats?

I disagree with that comparison. AFLX is a complete bastardization of Aussie Rules, barely even resembles the main form of the game. BBL follows the T20 format which has been in use for decades now. The only thing you can draw a comparison between is the target audience, kiddies.
T20 is a bastardisation of traditional cricket. BBL is an extension of that.

Also, T20 was created about 15 years ago. Not decades ago as you’ve said.

Let me guess, the One Day format that saved the sport itself is a bastardisation of the sport too?

Go back about 40 years and we would be having the same conversation about ODI cricket. Traditionalists didn't like it, but over time it grew and gained the respect of all cricket fans.

In about 20 years I'd expect T20 to be respected the same way ODI's are now. Seeing as it's still in its early stages, there's plenty of opposition, but eventually people will accept it, the same way everyone accepts ODI's now

I enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that I can't criticise where I think it goes wrong or could be better. I like watching it when there's nothing else and if I'm at a game I'll cheer on the team, but I'm not "passionate" about a sub-10 year old team in a pretty plastic league. Sure you're allowed to be passionate about it, but at the same time can you really be surprised that people that knew a world pre-t20 (or at least, a world where t20 was treated like an actual joke by CA) think it is strange that you are part of a fan culture that consists of wearing fast food packaging on your head and doing fortnite dances to try and get yourself on TV?

To most fans it is a bit of a meme and a fun night out but nothing more than that, it will never be until it takes itself more seriously. Simple as that.
You can take it as serious as you want to, that's the beauty of the BBL. I wouldn't say I'm an absolute fanatic, watching every game going through all the stats, etc. But if I follow a team then I will certainly be passionate about them no matter how new the league is (eg. the AAF, really liking the Birmingham Iron now).

I don't really care what other people think about what I support/enjoy. The Renegades have provided me with some good memories and the chance to hang and enjoy a night out with my mates and I wouldn't trade those experiences away at all even if they are enjoyed with a fast-food-packaging-wearing fan culture.

I'm the last person you'd find dancing and being an ass-clown to get on TV because I go to the Big Bash to watch a good game of cricket. Most of the fortnite-dancing kiddos are unaware of what's going on, with their casually-supporting families and the chance to be on TV for maybe the first time in their life.
There's a good balance to be found with the Big Bash in being able to get loose and have fun while also getting behind your team and being invested in the game/league.

"Bastardisation"
T20 is literally just normal cricket restricted to 20 overs and one innings each. Chuck in a free-hit for no balls and that's about the only difference.

(hell, for the Heat I enjoy occasionally making good-humoured derisive comments about their performance).
Part of the fun I take when watching the Renegades get absolutely pelted :p
Cameron White is my personal favourite to shift blame upon for a wasted innings.

Back