Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

Yay. Both my kids have jobs. First time ever I everyone at home earning something. Pressure relief valve released slightly.

Youngest got a mate to cut his hair...come home with a filthy dusty type mullet. Got an interview the next day 🤦‍♂️ ...and somehow got the job. Working in the kitchen in a steak restaurant. Happy days. (hope we don't have to introduce more restrictions down here in Vic so he gets to work).

Is anyone here a tax monger and can explain the different claim methods to someone who has never had to claim WFH expenses?

Namely me, an idiot
Oh, and if said tax expert responds to Zach Package, if they could also explain how I can claim depreciation on my car for work related travel, I'd be very appreciative.

I can claim the per km expense but I have travelled over 5000 km so I'm keen to know whether I can claim more using the other method, however I am clueless about the depreciation formula (I've got all my running expenses, service etc covered though).

Oh, and if said tax expert responds to Zach Package, if they could also explain how I can claim depreciation on my car for work related travel, I'd be very appreciative.

I can claim the per km expense but I have travelled over 5000 km so I'm keen to know whether I can claim more using the other method, however I am clueless about the depreciation formula (I've got all my running expenses, service etc covered though).
Have you kept a log book?

Yep, it's how I know I've travelled over 5000km
Divide the business km's by the total km's (business + personal) to get the business %. Take all your car related expense and multiply by the business %. That's your deduction.

I'll PM you.

Is anyone here a tax monger and can explain the different claim methods to someone who has never had to claim WFH expenses?

Namely me, an idiot
Do you have a designated work space? I'll be honest I'm a little iffy on this but I can try to help.

Do you have a designated work space? I'll be honest I'm a little iffy on this but I can try to help.

No designated work space, which means I either use the newly introduce shortcut method, which is a relatively simple 80c per hour times total home hours worked, or the actual cost method.

Reason I ask is that I purchased a new Mac to wfh as well as 100 bucks or so on a chair and I obviously want to make sure I get the most out of my deduction and don’t sell myself short

No designated work space, which means I either use the newly introduce shortcut method, which is a relatively simple 80c per hour times total home hours worked, or the actual cost method.

Reason I ask is that I purchased a new Mac to wfh as well as 100 bucks or so on a chair and I obviously want to make sure I get the most out of my deduction and don’t sell myself short
If you use the short cut method you can't claim depreciation or other expenses. So the chair and depreciation on the Mac are out.

Say you started working from home start of March. Including public holidays you've had about 17 weeks. At 40 hours a week that's 680 hours, multiple that by 80c and you get a deduction of $544.

Now that's if you started right from the start of March, if you started later then that deduction decreases.

You're already at $100 for a chair + Mac depreciation for actual cost. I'd guess you'd be better of under actual cost, though Mac depreciation of course only counts this year for the days since you bought it.

Thanks both, I figured that to be the case but wanted a bit of an informed opinion, actual will obviously be more involved but it sounds like the way better option, and I guess I could claim depreciation on it on my next return as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks both, I figured that to be the case but wanted a bit of an informed opinion, actual will obviously be more involved but it sounds like the way better option, and I guess I could claim depreciation on it on my next return as well
You'd get 3 years of depreciation on the return because as GUMBLETRON says above the laptop depreciates over 2 years.

So part year this year, full year next year, part year following year.

Hey, has anyone here ordered anything via WISH.com before? I've literally just opened the site to look at athletic wear and it's already pushing BDSM gear.

Can’t speak for the quality (I think it’s safe to say probably not great) but apparently they are notorious for getting orders wrong and sending them to the wrong people and stuff like that, they also ship by sea mail, which means no tracking on anything and it can take months not weeks

Can’t speak for the quality (I think it’s safe to say probably not great) but apparently they are notorious for getting orders wrong and sending them to the wrong people and stuff like that, they also ship by sea mail, which means no tracking on anything and it can take months not weeks
Sounds like the one I was thinking of.

Runk I’d buy local. Lots of Aussie places doing EOFY sales and they’re less of a gamble. If you really want cheapshit that will last three washes look at Kmart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back