Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

How long have code red days shutting down schools been a thing? Lore
Pretty sure that's only a thing in regional/rural areas, no idea when it started but I'd guess it's been a thing for a long time, at least informally.

According to this only schools on the bushfire at risk register (BARR) shut down on a code red day.

Didn't really know where to write this.
A lot of you are obviously in Victoria, and I guess many of you have family who will have been affected by bushfires this week. It probably doesn't mean much, but I just wanted to say I'm thinking of Victoria. Sounds weird to say.

My brother in law is a firey - he's fighting the Corryong fire and of course we're all very nervous for him.

Fires have been burning in our region in NSW since mid- November; we had the gear in the car once but were lucky we didn't end up needing to go.

And it feels a bit perverse following it on the news, especially Mallacoota and Batemans Bay...

Anyway, all the best to you and yours if it's about. Summer isn't ever going to be the same for my kids as it was for me :(

Disclaimer, I enjoyed the office, and the xfm podcasts. I didn't mind Gervais early doors but I began to see through him pretty quick.

I can't believe the world faps over his golden Globe skewers... To me it's just in poor taste. Like Hollywood or loathe them, hes in a room full of people who are passionate about what they do... Then you get an outsider who just wanders in like shooting fish in a barrell.. he does the same thing with religion.. he dosent believe in it, great, but he won't leave them alone, he just lays into them wherever possible like telling kids santa isn't real. Easy targets again.

Don Rickles was the master roaster, he was sharp but ultimately he always came from a place of respect. Gervais like most these days just aim to shock and make people feel uncomfortable.

I don't like it, show a bit of respect, just cause you don't admire or care about acting or Hollywood it doseht mean these people can't. Poor old Tom Hanks being inducted for a life time of work had his craft belittled by a cockney twat cause it might get a few twitter headlines.

Disclaimer, I enjoyed the office, and the xfm podcasts. I didn't mind Gervais early doors but I began to see through him pretty quick.

I can't believe the world faps over his golden Globe skewers... To me it's just in poor taste. Like Hollywood or loathe them, hes in a room full of people who are passionate about what they do... Then you get an outsider who just wanders in like shooting fish in a barrell.. he does the same thing with religion.. he dosent believe in it, great, but he won't leave them alone, he just lays into them wherever possible like telling kids santa isn't real. Easy targets again.

Don Rickles was the master roaster, he was sharp but ultimately he always came from a place of respect. Gervais like most these days just aim to shock and make people feel uncomfortable.

I don't like it, show a bit of respect, just cause you don't admire or care about acting or Hollywood it doseht mean these people can't. Poor old Tom Hanks being inducted for a life time of work had his craft belittled by a cockney twat cause it might get a few twitter headlines.

Even though he is basically one of them, I thought he nailed it, and was hilarious too.
The greatest speech at any awards ceremony, ever.
That crowd takes itself way too seriously, for a bunch of entertainers.

It's just not for me, but understand others might enjoy it.

I'd also hate if Fatty Vautin hosted the Brownlow and started by calling us all pussies with drug addictions who don't know how to tackle. Why are you here again mate?

In the end I'm no Hollywood admirer, the cult of personality is very meh to me, but if they put a lot of time an effort into a particular pursuit that makes them happy, whatever, let them enjoy a night in their own company, I'm sure they don't rock up wanting to get skewered.... Not like the badge of honour it was getting called out by Rickles

Yeah, I laughed. His quip about Di Caprio's date aging was gold.

Hypocritical though to generalise them all as knowing nothing about any social or political issues at all, suggest they accept their award and f*** off rather than use the platform to make whatever statement, while at the same time lambasting Apple.

It's just not for me, but understand others might enjoy it.

I'd also hate if Fatty Vautin hosted the Brownlow and started by calling us all pussies with drug addictions who don't know how to tackle. Why are you here again mate?

In the end I'm no Hollywood admirer, the cult of personality is very meh to me, but if they put a lot of time an effort into a particular pursuit that makes them happy, whatever, let them enjoy a night in their own company, I'm sure they don't rock up wanting to get skewered.... Not like the badge of honour it was getting called out by Rickles
Did you ever see Don Rickles, a long time and vocal Democrat voter and supporter, do his routine for Ronald Reagan at a Republican address?
It's brilliant. He was a master.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bought myself a kindle with some of my Xmas money. Anyone have any experience with Goodreads? Just after how accurate the recommendations are. Is it worth putting time into rating books that I’ve read in order to get good recommendations?

Bought myself a kindle with some of my Xmas money. Anyone have any experience with Goodreads? Just after how accurate the recommendations are. Is it worth putting time into rating books that I’ve read in order to get good recommendations?
Looking forward to the feedback here. I'm still on hard/paper back but kindle takes up far less room than a bookshelf or boxes of books.

My 2 bobs worth is anything David Baldacci is rolled gold for those liking action/crime hybrids. I'm yet to read a bad book by him, similar to how Raymond Feist books had me on a string for ages.

If anyone knows those authors and can recommend similar quality, would love to hear from you.

Looking forward to the feedback here. I'm still on hard/paper back but kindle takes up far less room than a bookshelf or boxes of books.

My 2 bobs worth is anything David Baldacci is rolled gold for those liking action/crime hybrids. I'm yet to read a bad book by him, similar to how Raymond Feist books had me on a string for ages.

If anyone knows those authors and can recommend similar quality, would love to hear from you.

So far the Kindle is great. Backlight is adjustable so can be used in any environment. Buying books is an absolute breeze, almost too easy. I can see this is definitely going to increase my reading output. From my limited sample size, battery life seems really good.

As far as goodreads goes, I posed the same question on reddit and the consensus seems to be that the goodreads recommendation algorithm is poor but the default homepage recommendations are ok. The best bet seems to be to find other users who like books you’ve read and see which books they have read.

Had to unfollow Roco on twitter. The guy has a burning need to respond to every single numpty that says anything to him. So sick of it clogging up my feed. Shame really.
He seemed to go on some kind of bender over the weekend, but I don't spend much time on twitter these days so it didn't bother me that much. Also, tweetdeck is your friend :D Can follow accounts back and then never see their content ever again :eyes:

He seemed to go on some kind of bender over the weekend, but I don't spend much time on twitter these days so it didn't bother me that much. Also, tweetdeck is your friend :D Can follow accounts back and then never see their content ever again :eyes:
Nah he's been like that since he stopped working for the newspaper. Started commentating politics along with footy and it was all downhill from there.

Also, what's the point in following an account if you don't want to see their content?

Nah he's been like that since he stopped working for the newspaper. Started commentating politics along with footy and it was all downhill from there.

Also, what's the point in following an account if you don't want to see their content?
Because you follow them and they follow you back, which gives you brand visibility and people who see your tweets and interact with you about footy. But then when they tweet about politics you never have to see it :) We follow a lot of accounts but from tweet deck the only ones visible are the ones that actually use bigfooty, which are in a private list. Then there's another list for AFL journos and one for official player/club accounts. That way you see more of the stuff you need to see without wading through the crap you don't care about. Can also set up columns for hashtags and stuff.

Hey, gardening/lawn query.

If I need my lawn torn up & replaced outright what type of costs am I looking at? Anyone got any experience in this area?
How big is the area? If it is a small area...it will cost more $ per square metre than a large lawn. (they have the cost of hiring a turf cutter and rotary hoe)...a small lawn may take half a day to do...whereas a really big one might only take 2 days if you follow. It will then depend on the type of lawn you choose...Kykuyu will be cheaper than sir walter buffalo.

Process is they use a turf cutter to slice off the old grass, remove, rotary hoe, add top soil, level and lay grass. You may want a sprinkler system as well.

A landscaping mate said at around $30 per sq metre not including soil prep...farking expensive!

Last edited:
How big is the area? If it is a small area...it will cost more $ per square metre than a large lawn. (they have the cost of hiring a turf cutter and rotary hoe)...a small lawn may take half a day to do...whereas a really big one might only take 2 days if you follow. It will then depend on the type of lawn you choose...Kykuyu will be cheaper than sir walter buffalo.

Process is they use a turf cutter to slice off the old grass, remove, rotary hoe, add top soil, level and lay grass. You may want a sprinkler system as well.

A landscaping mate said at around $30 per sq metre not including soil prep...farking expensive!

It's prob 9 x 8. Not huge. Hmm. Lots to think about. Cheers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back